This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Best AA Batteries

thompsonmike 0 Points
edited November -1 in GPS Discussions
Upon searching here I've found some posts talking about Sanyo Eneloop. Unfortunately, these posts were from 2009 and I'm curious if they're a bit dated. I kept coming across people saying they are great and the way to go. Is this still the case? These are NiMH and I had assumed that Li-Ion were the way to go today. I thought they held a charge the longest but now I'm not sure as not many people suggested them.

Are these Sanyo Eneloop batteries still the way to go? They seem REALLY cheap at REI, $25 for 4 and a charger.

I'm sure I do not want alkaline or regular non-rechargeable lithium batteries because that seems like I'd just be throwing money down the drain. Although, maybe I should consider the Energizer Ultimate Lithium because they last 9x longer in devices???

Ugh, someone just tell me what to do! lol

Mike

Comments

• sussamb 798 Points
    I use Eneloops in my Etrex 20 and they're excellent. Keep their charge for a long time and last 20 hours plus when being used.
  • Sold!
    Thank you again good sir!
  • sviking 141 Points
    The newest version of the Sanyo Eneloops are very good. But, don't use the el crapo dumb charger that comes with them. Get a good "smart charger" like the LaCrosse BC-9009.
  • Well, I'm not buying the Sanyo xx ones because I can't find those in stores anywhere. I'm in line right now to pick up 2 sets of the regular ones with the Sanyo charger. What's bad about the Sanyo charger? I'm buying from REI so no problems returning or exchanging.
  • sviking 141 Points
    Well, I'm not buying the Sanyo xx ones because I can't find those in stores anywhere. I'm in line right now to pick up 2 sets of the regular ones with the Sanyo charger. What's bad about the Sanyo charger? I'm buying from REI so no problems returning or exchanging.
    Uh, you can't order from Amazon like everyone else can? The stock charger sucks because you can't condition, test, see capacity, change charge current (i.e. charge time), etc.
  • Im sure I can order them online but I wanted to get a set and give them to my dad before I went home. Are the XX ones really that much better? They can only be rechaarged 500 times vs the 1500 times like the regular 2000mah eneloops.
  • sussamb 798 Points
    I use a standard charger with mine and never had any problems :wink:
  • class3 52 Points
    Eneloops are great! They've pretty much become the standard in AA-AAA size rechargeable batteries. Flashlight enthusiasts love them and those fellows are pretty picky.

The included Sanyo charger will work, but it's just very basic and it usually has some limitations like it will only charge in pairs (for the 4 slot model).

For just a little more money, you could get a more advance charger.

The least expensive option is to import the Sanyo NC-MQR06 charger from Korea, on eBay for $20. This charger has four independent charging slots and even has some fast charge options. It's a fairly compact travel charger.

If you'd rather buy in the states, check out the Sony BCG34HRE4KN on Amazon for $30. This comes with 4 extra batteries. This charger also has four independent slots and some fast charge options.

For more advance chargers, check out the La Crosse BC-700 for $40. Sometimes the price will drop to $30 or less. The PowerEx MH-C9000 is another popular advance charger for $54 (it's a bit bulky though).