• sussamb
    Garmin Express is up and running again, presumably to coincide with the release of the new 2013 models :wink:

However the download links are broken 😞ry: so still unable to give it a try
  • gatorguy
    Thanks for the mention. The app itself still isn't available for download yet, but I imagine that's only a few days away at most.
  • sussamb
    Yes, Garmin are slowly releasing pages that aren't quite working. Does seem weird that everything couldn't have gone 'live' at the same time :roll:
  • gatorguy
    I keep checking back on their video links watching for those to go live.
  • sussamb
    Maybe it's their way of creating 'interest' :twisted:
  • Boyd
    Maybe their web team is just lacking adult supervision this weekend, with everybody gone off to Vegas for CES? :lol:
  • sussamb
    :lol: :lol:
  • gatorguy
    So about 2 and a half years after Navteq first announced "Natural Guidance" landmark navigation maybe Garmin will actually offer a working version of it. I'll be interested is seeing how often it's utilized in the directions.

http://telematicsnews.info/2010/09/02/navteq-introduces-‘natural-guidance’-landmark-based-navi-instructions/
  • sussamb
    sussamb said:

Garmin Express is up and running again, presumably to coincide with the release of the new 2013 models :wink:

However the download links are broken 😞ry: so still unable to give it a try

Downloadable now 😃
  • sussamb
    Just done some experimentation with Garmin Express. I created a 'dummy' copy of my nuvi on a memory stick, and did a restore from a back up I'd made of my 1490.

Garmin Express 'restore' appeared to do the following:

Restored 3 POI files that I keep on my 1490 but which weren't on my 'dummy' GPS.

Created a GarminExpressImport.gpx file in the GPX folder. This was the original current.gpx from my 1490

Restored the database files in the SQLite folder, which contain mileage history etc details, in the .system folder

Running Garmin Express it also correctly identified that my maps and various keyboard, text etc files were also missing and offered to reinstall them.

Seems a neat little program that will help the majority of owners backup and restore their nuvi. However it does no more than many on this forum already know how to do manually.

I guess the real test will come when Garmin release the next map update and we see how it compares to Garmin's Lifetime Map Updater, which seems decidedly flakey :wink:
  • t923347
    I installed and did some testing with Express and my 3790 and 2460 last night and found the same as you did. This program does indeed contain some nice features and should help a lot of multi Nuvi owners.

My best liked feature so far is how easy it is to copy Favorites from one unit to another. No copying, renaming, and copying current.gpx or using Mapsourse/Basecamp to do this task.😃
  • sussamb
    Just released 2.1.4 ... not sure if it's because of this but there are now lots of free voices, vehicles and 'bundles' available for download under Extras 😃
  • t923347
    Those have always been available in Express, although there maybe a few more of them, with this latest update. :wink:
  • sussamb
    Yeah, I wasn't sure ... I knew I'd seen some earlier but IIRC not very many at first, maybe they've been adding to them without me noticing :lol:
  • hasiel
    Just downloaded and installed on my computer, and get the message shortly after executing it:

"An unexpected error has occurred...contact Garmin Support".

Any suggestions would be appreciated ie how to fix. Maybe I am posting this in the wrong part of the site.
  • t923347
    Personally, I'd uninstall Garmin Express from my computer and then download and install it again. If you still have the problem, I'd do as the error message says and contact Garmin Support.
  • makem1
    I just installed GE on my 3590 and all went well.

I did notice that there was a long wait after I connected the unit, during which I thought the program had hung. Nothing was happening and the 'hand' pointer was present. However task manager didn't say it wasn't responding so I let it run and it eventually came up with the main options screen.

It reported that there was a 6+GB update available for Europe so when I selected to update I expected it to show what would need to be uninstalled as there was only 650mb or so left internally. I do have an SD card installed so maybe it is installing there?

It is now @ 56% with another 3 hours to go! Maybe Express is the wrong name lol.

I have noticed that it made 2 backups with timings of 1 second between them. The program progress page just says 'Backup', Backup, two times. I wonder why two?

It appears worthwhile installing.
  • t923347
    I expect you mean that you "installed GE on your computer" and not your 3590 as Garmin Express is a computer software program. :wink:

Sounds like it's doing a map update as that would be the only thing that would come near a 6GB download. GE seems pretty good at explaining what is available for update so I'm sure it told you at some point what it was downloading. If it is a map update you will not need the SD card as the update will simply overwrite the old map file with the new one (increase in file space used will only be the difference between the size of the old file and the new one).
  • makem1
    t923347 said:

I expect you mean that you "installed GE on your computer" and not your 3590 as Garmin Express is a computer software program. :wink:

Of course! :oops:

Any idea why the 2 backups?
  • makem
    Having updated my maps I now get a warning:

361 MB free out of 7.3 GB

The internal storage is almost full. You may want to purchase a memory card for this device.

I assume from that that it does not recognise the current 8 GB SD card.

Is it possible to move some files from internal memory to the SD card? I did think GE would help with this but I don't see an option.

Does having little memory left affect the speed of calculations?
  • sussamb
    I wouldn't assume anything. The card may be fine, just that Express didn't look for it as it wasn't required.

For now I wouldn't bother to move anything onto the card, your nuvi should work just fine with the amount of free space it has.

You could check though that the nuvi does recognise the card by creating a folder called GPX on the card and use Garmin's Basecamp program to send a waypoint to the card. If the nuvi then sees the waypoint you will know the card works.
  • hasiel
    After several reboots of my computer, and running the Norton Removal Tool a couple of times, the application is now working. Hocus-pocus repair :lol:
  • Not impressed by Express so far - after the inordinate wait, without any indication, for anything to happen (as noted above), it failed to find the manuals for any of my units and did not realise that there was a firmware update available for my Montana - which I knew about and the new version of BaseCamp spotted straight away.
    Uninstall time methinks. I'm able to do by hand everything it advertises, with much more control, through Windows Explorer, DashBoard, WebUpdater and BaseCamp. Admittedly this is less 'seamless' and user-friendly, but at least I'm wielding the virtual spanners myself and can see what's been done.
  • sussamb
    Fair comment. Express seems to be aimed at the 'casual' GPS user who simply wants a one stop shop to update the GPS. Those of us used to 'wielding our own spanners' will, I'm sure, continue to wield them :wink:

It does though seem far more reliable in updating maps than Garmins 'lifetime updater' according to user experience posted on other forums.
  • Yes, I had to dump Lifetime Updater too!
  • sussamb
    2.1.5 now released ... again no idea of what's changed :twisted:
  • sussamb
    Played with 2.15 this morning.

2.14 told me that I had map updates (I've only got part of CN EU 2013.30 installed), and gave me various voice and keyboard updates (none of which I wanted).

2.15 says everything is up to date :twisted: Think it's broken 😞ry:
  • 2.15 popped up yesterday, and after the several minutes to load itself told me about the Montana update, at last. I don't know what it will do next time I plug the Montana in. It still doesn't know about the Oregon update though...
  • sussamb
    Not working well is it, what's more if you now go to myMaps in myGarmin it insists you load Express to download maps, but when you click on it it loads MapUpdater, not Express :twisted: :twisted:
  • makem
    Garmin Tray Icon always tells me there are updates available but when I connect the device it says it is up-to-date except for extras I don't want.

Today it said the same and I started the program without the device. It installed ver. 2.1.5 and took a long time to do it.

Now when I hover over the tray icon it just gives the program name. That is one improvement.

When run the program says 'Your device is up to date' with a 'Check for updates' option.

When I check for updates without the device connected it says after checking, that it is up to date.

I think they should get rid of the 'Your device is up to date' and just leave the 'Check for updates' option, after all, that is the main reason you connect the device. Your device is up to date should come after a check or, after the device is connected. when it automatically checks.

Unless, when you check without the device connected, if the program knows what you have installed and can in fact do a correct check. It would appear so.
  • t923347
    makem said:

Garmin Tray Icon always tells me there are updates available but when I connect the device it says it is up-to-date except for extras I don't want.

I think that when the tray icon says that there is an update available it means that there is an update to the Express software, not that there are any updates available for your GPS. You need to actually run the program to see if there are device updates available.
  • roadster
    It has been a while. And I wished I left the gps alone. they made this for me complicated, I lost my map. crapola. I am reloading the updates again, maybe something went wrong and I can correct
  • caryrae
    t923347 said:

makem said:

I think that when the tray icon says that there is an update available it means that there is an update to the Express software, not that there are any updates available for your GPS. You need to actually run the program to see if there are device updates available.

I have the latest Express update and it just popped up in the tray this morning that there is an update for my Garmin device.
  • makem
    t923347 said:

makem said:

I don't think so because I was using Express for about a week or so before it updated itself to the latest version. Prior to that update, as I said, it always showed as updates available for my device. It specifically said that and I found it annoying.

However all is well now😃

I have never had a problem with map and software updates, they have always gone smoothly if slowly. Sometimes causing worry when they appeared to hang. I have parts of the Topo maps for USA and Canada maps installed on the SD card so switching is easy. There is still plenty of space for other countries.
  • Just downloaded the new version today. Looks like it installs perm on you PC now. Said there was a new update, and so I let ir rip before realizing that there is NOT a new update. Any way to cancel the update, or di I have to let it finish?
  • sussamb
    Express installs quite quickly, so I guess you've let it run by now :wink:
  • sussamb said:

Estimate was 3+ hours for the update. I just stopped it, and uninstalled Express. Hope nothing got messed up.
  • makem
    Express just updated to version 2.1.6
  • sussamb

sussamb said:

Estimate was 3+ hours for the update. I just stopped it, and uninstalled Express. Hope nothing got messed up.

That's not Express updating then, sounds like it was updating your maps.
  • t923347
    Garmin has "re-released" version 2.1.6. It was available this morning when I hooked up one of my Nuvi's to the computer. :roll:
  • popej
    Express doesn't download maps to PC, does it? If not, then it is no replacement for GarminMapUpdater.
  • caryrae
    It must, it says "Garmin Express downloads available map updates to your computer automatically, and alerts you when new maps are ready to install. You can even control download speed and schedules." on the Garmin Express web page.
  • popej
    Well, Express downloads files to PC, but it doesn't install City Navigator on PC for use with BaseCamp or Mapsource. At least I haven't found options like in GarminMapUpdater.
  • roadster
    this Am I see an update, and well who knows. I just updated with other means of garmin peace
  • caryrae
    My Express just updates to 2.1.10
  • caryrae
    Another Express update, now at 2.1.11.
  • sussamb
    2.1.12 now

Changes from 2.1.11 to 2.1.12:
    * Installer UI updates
    * Added option to create desktop shortcut on install
    * Fixed a crash occurring for some MTP devices with insufficient space for a map update
    * Fixed an issue where unit software updates would show up again after installation
  • popej
    A true changlog? Does it mean Express finally passed beta testing?😉
  • sussamb
    Not really ... posted on one of the Garmin forums by one of their staff involved with Express. Would be nice if it was done 'officially' :?
  • alanb
    Interesting. I have an installed version 2.1.11 of GE that I have disabled. So I re-enabled it today to get the update. If I select Settings > About > Check for Updates on the user interface it says "Garmin Express 2.1.11. You have the latest version of Garmin Express". I guess Garmin Express doesn't recognize its own update. Oh well, I don't intend to use it anyway, so I will just disable it again.
  • sussamb
    Yes, I got that also. If you want the updated version you need to download it directly from Garmin ... :twisted:
↑ Top

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!