This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Help Needed Mobile phone Tracking

Is it possible to track the location of a mobile device using the mobile number only?

Thanks Patrick

Comments

• sussamb 664 Points
    Err yes ... if you have the right equipment :wink:
  • What do I need?
  • Tim 1465 Points
    Is it possible to track the location of a mobile device using the mobile number only?
    Only if you work for the mobile provider or have a subpoena.
  • sussamb 664 Points
    What do I need?
    That I won't tell you ... if you have a legitimate need to do it you'll know :wink:
  • patruns 10 Points
    You need him:
  • So you don't know either!
  • Surely I don't need a subpoena to trace my own phone number!
  • sussamb 664 Points
    So you don't know either!
    Well I do because I used to be involved in that area but it's illegal for anyone just to 'do it'. Is there a reason why you want to track your own phone?

Legitimately you can do things like install the Viewranger app on a smart phone and use its 'buddy beacon' feature, which will send its location at regular intervals that can then be viewed on the Viewranger webpage. If that's the sort of thing you're wanting then there are also other similar apps out there.
  • Its not a smart phone - cannot download apps to it!
  • sussamb 664 Points
    Maybe you can give more info about what you want to do and why then :wink:

It may be we could answer your question if we knew more :?
  • patruns 10 Points
    Surely I don't need a subpoena to trace my own phone number!
    No, you don't. Just like you don't need one to break into your own house. The tools to do either are only legally available to law enforcement, who typically (but not always) would provide the cell carrier with a subpoena. If you had the means, technically you could use it to track anyone.
  • Boyd 1792 Points
    I see that the OP is in the United Kingdom and I don't know what might be different there. But here in the US I believe all the major cell providers offer a service to track phones registered to your account (not just smartphones). Parents use this to keep track of their kids for example. Here's Verizon's plan that works with "feature phones"

https://products.verizonwireless.com/index.aspx?id=fnd_familylocator_setup
  • sussamb 664 Points
    Neat.

Guess that's a bit like the viewranger app I mentioned, which is free in UK and also enables you to use the smart phone as a GPS handheld with topo maps etc, but the downside is that it has to be a smart phone whereas Verison seems capable of tracking 'non smart' phones.

Seems we do though have at least one similar service:

https://www.lociloci.com/en/guide/

Maybe that will do what the OP wants :?

All these of course require access to the phone and agreement by the user, I'm unclear at the moment whether the OP has that :wink:
  • Boyd 1792 Points
    Well I think the idea here is that if you're paying the bill, you have a right to know where the phone is. :twisted:

Whether it is any help to the OP... no idea. He claims that it is his own phone. Here in the US all cell phones (not just smart phones) must have GPS chips that can be used by emergency personnel (911 system). I believe they still have an option to turn tracking completely off in the menus however.