This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Quid Pro Quo: Garmin and the Android/iOS Conundrum

It's been a while since I have posted here. How's everyone been?

There's been a lot of talk about the Smartphone Link being Android exclusive and how iPhone users want to have a similar platform for their system. However, are there any Android users who wish to have the StreetPilot app (an iOS exclusive) for their operating system?

The reason I bring this up is this: I know how Apple is very restrictive with whatever applications can run in iOS, while Android is open sourced. That being said, I get the feeling that Garmin will eventually have the SML available for iOS at the same time as they will have StreetPilot available for Android. If TomTom did the same thing, surely Garmin will follow suit.

I recently made the switch from Android to iOS by circumstance (HTC EVO 3D's touch screen failed, and someone offered me a pristine iPhone 4S for only $100), so I lost the Smartphone Link. However, the 3490 has been completely stable since then. Maybe Apple is aware...that's my two cents on the matter.

Thanks in advance for your responses!

Comments

• Boyd 1985 Points
    This has been discussed elsewhere.... IIRC, Garmin entered into an agreement with ASUS when they partnered on the failed "Garminfone". Evidently this agreement prevented Garmin from offering their own navigation app under Android in the US and that is the reason we haven't seen a version of StreetPilot yet.

However I believe this agreement is about to expire, and the speculation is that Garmin will then offer a StreetPilot Android app. I think Garmin has already offered an Android StreetPilot app in one or more other countries that are not covered by the ASUS agreement.