City Navigator NA 2013.40 is now available for download.
  • t923347
    Garmin has finally released City Navigator 2013.40.

My Garmin Express software does not see this update yet but Garmin's MapUpdater does report the update is available. Downloading as we speak.
  • alanb
    I am also downloading for my 755T with MapUpdater 3.2.2. I have not installed Garmin Express yet. I may try that on my 855 or wait until next map update.
  • sussamb
    You guys have fun now ... CN EU not yet available :twisted:
  • alanb
    The Garmin download servers really seem to be dragging for me. Normally, with my 18 Mbps connection I can do the download step in 45 to 50 minutes. It has been downloading for an hour and 10 minutes and still has about 25% to go. It could be that Garmin Express is automatically initiating enough download session notices to keep the server capacity saturated.
  • caryrae
    t923347 said:

Garmin has finally released City Navigator 2013.40.

My Garmin Express software does not see this update yet but Garmin's MapUpdater does report the update is available. Downloading as we speak.

Garmin Express sees it now.
  • I blew it - I should have used Map Updater instead of Express. No maps to the PC, just the GPS. DUH!
  • caryrae
    You should be able to redownload it again with the other software and just choose to load it to PC only.
  • Where do I get the map updater. The only option I get from Mygarmin and I dont want to install Garmin Express
  • SkipD
    What's the latest MapUpdater version and where can it be obtained?

I'm updating my 755T with Express now, and there was no selection for loading the new map onto my PC. SUCKS WIND.....
  • caryrae
    I still have the Garmin Lifetime Updater software where it asks you where you would like to install the map file, Device only, Device and Computer, or Computer Only.
  • sussamb
    You can still use MapUpdater, direct link is here:

download.garmin.com/lmu/GarminMapUpdater.exe
  • Yup, downloaded the old fashioned way and all is well.
  • drugo
    but there is not avaible the map for europe!
  • sussamb
    Not yet, there is often a few days between CN NA and CN EU being available. Last update CN EU came first :wink:
  • jonnop
    Exciting!

Could be available before I go over to France in a few day's time. Find the vineyards even more accurately!
  • DerekW
    or having to sort out a screw up and end p with no working device
    Never ever install new software just before a key usage activity <g>
  • t923347
    sussamb said:

You can still use MapUpdater, direct link is here:

download.garmin.com/lmu/GarminMapUpdater.exe

That's for the PC version, the MAC version is at:

download.garmin.com/lmu/GarminMapUpdater.dmg

Also, older versions will also work if you haven't deleted them.
  • Boyd
    jonnop said:

Exciting!

It is funny to see so much excitement over a map update. Reminds me of this... :lol: http://youtu.be/-rTcfKfXwqo
  • You think this is bad? Wait till the discussion on how to get the big JCV file 😀

Where is that file, BTW?
  • SergZak
    There's a good chance that alanb has it! 👓
  • Boyd
    My maps are two years old. No lifetime maps, no downloads, no mapupdater, no Garmin Express. Life is good. 👓
  • willyboy
    Boyd said:

My maps are two years old. No lifetime maps, no downloads, no mapupdater, no Garmin Express. Life is good. 👓

Life is good when things are simple. Tried Garmin Express and deleted it, can't save map to PC, useless softeare once again. I went back to MapUpdater and had no issues.

It's not just Garmin that complicates things, I see many software programs that come out with NEW AND IMPROVED, only to find them even more bloated, less options, and confusing.

I suppose I'm just old fashioned, set in my ways, and reluctant to change.
  • t923347
    Boyd said:

Life is good with old maps unless you drive more than 200 miles from home and/or to places you don't know. That's when I appreciate knowing my GPS has, at least, the best chance of getting me there the fastest or shortest way.
  • Boyd
    I was almost 2000 miles from home on a business trip last month. Brought my Nuvi 3790 with 3 year old maps. Life was good. Life was also good before I had a GPS and my paper maps were 5 or 10 years old.

I agree with idea that new maps can be more useful than old maps. But I hate the process of updating software on any kind of device, and honestly I don't think I've missed anything by not experiencing the frustrations expressed in so many threads here regarding the update process. 😃
  • Theres no issues with Map updater.
    Updated my map on the nuvi and on the computer last night wihtout a hitch.
  • ...but I was only dumping it down to my hard drive.... my old 670 has to be babied through MapSource if I want to get all of NA & most (but, not all) of the EU updates.

From central Anglia.....
  • can't you download the map again to your desktop? I was delighted to get a map update that I did not have to stand on my head to accomplish.
  • alanb
    A user over on the Garmin Software forums is reporting that Garmin is again posting the Large JCV file on their site. Here is the post: https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?34677-CN-NA-NT-2013-40-full-JCV-file&p=166419#post166419 and here is the download link: http://download.garmin.com/support/2013_40/NA/JV/D3060090A.JCV

Thanks Garmin for once again doing the "right" thing.
  • drugo
    hi

which program did you use to update LMT ?

i did notice there is a new software to download the map?

cheers
  • Garmin Express worked perfectly for me on three different units. With the GPS connected to Express ,highlight DEVICE. in the lower left there is a pane with device opted by default. click on device,the tab will drop down giving you options to install to computer also.
  • alanb
    Many problems with the new Garmin Express program have been reported in this and other forums. But try it if you want, or if you don't want the hassle stick with the old GarminMapUpdater. We know the MapUpdater is mature and stable.

On the forums, we hear mostly about problems, not success stories. So the vast majority of users are probably having no problem with Express.
  • SkipD
    jangeo67 said:

Garmin Express worked perfectly for me on three different units. With the GPS connected to Express ,highlight DEVICE. in the lower left there is a pane with device opted by default. click on device,the tab will drop down giving you options to install to computer also.

Somebody in Garmin's software group should be severely chastised for making the decision to hide the choice to load the new map to the computer behind the "device" choice. The user should be able to choose the computer only, the device only, or both from a front-end menu.

I blew away Garmin Express and don't care to reload it, but I'd like to confirm that it can, in fact, load to the computer as well as the device. I need to help a friend with the new map and he'd be better off with Garmin Express if it can do both tasks with one command.
  • sussamb
    If you want hassle free just use MapUpdater ... you have all the options you need there and at least there seem to be no problems with it :wink:

(see links to it in the posts above)
  • SkipD
    sussamb said:

If you want hassle free just use MapUpdater ... you have all the options you need there and at least there seem to be no problems with it :wink:

That's what I did after finding out how Garmin Express is. The bummer is that Garmin only links to Garmin Express and doesn't provide a Map Updater link as an option.
  • DerekW
    Garmin Express would not me install the full North America Maps and similarly it would not let me install the full European maps (I misread the European version number so attempted to install the previous one again.)

If there is a serious probability that the two sets of maps will not fit on a 775 then it would make more sense to enable the user to determine whether the Junction View files are installed rather than dramatically reduce the scope of the map.
  • sussamb
    SkipD said:

sussamb said:

That's what I did after finding out how Garmin Express is. The bummer is that Garmin only links to Garmin Express and doesn't provide a Map Updater link as an option.

That's why it's been posted here 😃

Interestingly though when I logged into myGarmin a few weeks ago then myMaps and clicked on Download maps using GE (or something like that) it ran MapUpdater :?
  • t923347
    Once more for those that missed it, currently it is best to use Garmin MapUpdater to update your GPS with the latest map release. You can obtain MapUpdater from:

PC Version

http://download.garmin.com/lmu/GarminMapUpdater.exe

MAC version

http://download.garmin.com/lmu/GarminMapUpdater.dmg

Also, older versions will also work if you haven't deleted them.
  • I d/l both
    links that t923347
    +(thank you) posted into a random folder in my email accnt so i can d/l them if needed no matter where im at.
  • alanb said:

A user over on the Garmin Software forums is reporting that Garmin is again posting the Large JCV file on their site. Here is the post: https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?34677-CN-NA-NT-2013-40-full-JCV-file&p=166419#post166419 and here is the download link: http://download.garmin.com/support/2013_40/NA/JV/D3060090A.JCV

Thanks Garmin for once again doing the "right" thing.

alanb, Thank you for posting the link to the latest large JCV file. I appreciate it.
  • I guess I'll add the bit of Garmin Express weirdness that I experienced with this update.

I decided to give GE a spin after years of using MapUpdater without incident (don't ask me why.). First it said there wasn't room on my 765T for the 2013.40 update (and offered to install it to an SD card). I doubted that since it's never been an issue before, even with the large JCV files of the last year or so. So I closed GE and proceeded to update with MapUpdater. It was slow, but without incident. I haven't tried it out yet, but the JCV file was about 775 Mb so that apparently installed OK.

Here's the weirdness -- before I closed Express, I went into the settings and set the interval to check for updates to NEVER, then closed it, then started updating with MapUpdater. I went to check the progress after a couple hours, and Express had fired up again and was also downloading 2013.40. So I had two downloads of the same map going simultaneously. I closed GE window, closed it in the system tray, and tracked down and deleted the partial map download on my hard drive. Really strange that it told me there wasn't enough room, then started downloading on it's own an hour later.

Lesson learned: Best not to have MapUpdater and Garmin Express both on your computer. If I had closed GE in the system tray before I started the update with MapUpdater I wouldn't have had the duplicate downloads going, but still, I have uninstalled GE just to make sure it doesn't happen again.
  • Boyd said:

I don't think you're missing much. I compared 2013.3 with the new 2013.4 in many places I know and saw precious few actual updates. They do have some sort of software that moves the street names around a bit and that gives the illusion of change, but it's only an illusion. Up to this one they used to change the colors slightly too, but they didn't seem to do that this time. And I just update through Garmin Mapsource. And I also see that the maps come out different on my GPS (276c) than on the Mapsource on the computer.
  • popej
    Express in Windows has 3 parts - program, tray applet and Windows service. Download is done by service. If you want to completely turn off Express, you should close program, exit tray applet and stop service.

Both tray and service are started at Windows start, you can change this in Windows configuration. Then tray and service will be started when executing program Express.

Express saves data in different place on PC than MapUpdater. There shouldn't be conflict with data, but there is no cooperation either, data is downloaded twice.
  • Am I confused, or have they redirected to link to the old mapupdater so that you now get Garmin Express anyway?
  • popej said:

Express in Windows has 3 parts - program, tray applet and Windows service. Download is done by service. If you want to completely turn off Express, you should close program, exit tray applet and stop service.

Both tray and service are started at Windows start, you can change this in Windows configuration. Then tray and service will be started when executing program Express.

I tend to avoid software that invades my computer that deeply, although I know it's gotten very common. I doubt that the average user even knows how to stop an always-running service, or change it's start-up configuration.

Express saves data in different place on PC than MapUpdater. There shouldn't be conflict with data, but there is no cooperation either, data is downloaded twice.

Yep, found both download locations under C:\ProgramData\Garmin\. I was annoyed when Express started the download on it's own, after telling me it couldn't be done, since it halved the download rate of the MapUpdater download that was already in progress. I hadn't planned on it being a half-day project, but everything worked in the end. 😃
  • This is probably a stupid question, but what does one DO with maps downloaded to the computer? Is there an app that allows you to use the maps from the computer?
  • sussamb
    Depends on the maps but Garmin provide a free program called Basecamp that as well as being able to use maps on a PC can read maps directly off a Garmin GPS.

You can then use Basecamp to create routes, waypoints etc and download them to your GPS. Have a look here if you want to see more detail:

http://www8.garmin.com/learningcenter/training/basecamp/
  • DerekW
    I use Basecamp to view the trails stored on the SatNav (which I transfer to the computer) and load into Basecamp I can then playback the track I traveled - see the approximate speed and altitude of the journey, and also play back the trip at speed.

To me this is much more important than route planning which I do using Google Maps, paper based maps (shock horror!) and tourist guides. I then will set up intermediate destination points for the journey. Sometimes Via points can be a problem.
  • Is it worth spending the time learning how to use Basemap? I still use the older Mapsource. Basemap looks like it has a pretty big learning curve. I don't really use the maps on my computer for much except downloading the new Garmin maps and transferring them to my GPS and saving my waypoints
  • Boyd
    Note that it's Basecamp, Basemap is something else. 😃

Only you can answer that. If Mapsource does what you need and you don't want to learn something new, then you're all set.

If you purchase a new Garmin Handheld, you will have to learn how to use Basecamp to some degree, because Mapsource does not support many features of the new devices.

Basecamp is needed to download satellite imagery and scanned USGS topo maps (Garmin Birdseye series).

The new "custom map" format is supported by Basecamp but not Mapsource.

Basecamp can access maps that are purchased via download or on pre-loaded data cards. Mapsource cannot.

Mapsource cannot find the waypoints you have created on the new handheld devices because the storage format has changed.

Basecamp allows 3d views of the map.

There are other differences, but these come to mind. Personally, I use Mapsource mostly unless I specifically need one of the features listed above for my Montana 600.

However for a new user who is not already familiar with Mapsource, it is probably best to just skip it and use Basecamp since Mapsource is no longer under development and is just as confusing for a new user IMO.
  • Thanks, Boyd. When I finally get around to upgrading from my 276C I'll need to switch to the BaseCAMP then, and if the buttons on my 276c keep getting more and more unresponsive in cold weather that may be sooner rather than later. I still don't know if I want to get the Montana or one of the fancy Nuvi road Garmins that seem to keep getting better. I'm using it mostly for highway driving but also need it for some off the road use.
  • If you want to stop GE from starting automatically, do the following;

Right click on "My Computer"
    Select - "Manage"

Go to "Services"

Find "Garmin Core Update Service"
    Right click on it - select "Properties"

You can stop the service there and change the "Startup Type" to "Manual"

Restart the pc. I just did this to mine a couple days ago.
↑ Top

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!