The 'Mark Viewed' options have been temporarily disabled due to a performance issue.

not enough memory on my garmin 1350LMT to install 2013.40 up

I have 94mb of free space on my gps and I need 160mb to install new update. I went thru the help, language, voices etc and unable to make enough room..anyone have any ideas would be very much appreciated.

Comments

• sussamb 168 Points
    If you've freed up as much as possible and still not enough room then it's either time to install a micro sd card or decide whether you can live with a smaller subset of the map?

You might want to check our sticky on how to make more space for a map update just to check you've cleared out as much as possible.
  • This is the first year I've needed an SD card just to be able to load the full map.

I'm beginning to suspect the problem isn't the map itself, but rather the POI files.

I'm seeing more and more businesses showing up - almost like companies are asking Garmin (or Navteq) to be included. More POI's included may make it easier to find a company, but seriously bloats the files.
  • t923347 200 Points
    If one considers that custom POIs take up a fairly small part of the Nuvi's internal storage then the built in POIs should also only take up a small piece of the map files.

As an example, I have many thousands of custom POIs on my Nuvi's and the file they are contained in is 52kb in size. Even if the number of built in POIs was 10 times the number that I store as "custom", we still aren't talking about a lot of space on a 2, 4, or 8GB Nuvi.

We can only hope that the increase in map file size is mainly due to more streets and highways being added, and not being bloated by POIs. :wink:
  • drugo 21 Points
    If you've freed up as much as possible and still not enough room then it's either time to install a micro sd card or decide whether you can live with a smaller subset of the map?

You might want to check our sticky on how to make more space for a map update just to check you've cleared out as much as possible.
    but how force to use the sd?
    should be the sd formated empty?
    should i connect via usb ?
  • sussamb 168 Points
    There are various ways to get the map update onto a sd card. The simplest, and what should happen is that, with the card installed on the nuvi, MapUpdater should recognise that there isn't sufficient space and install the map to the card.
  • drugo 21 Points
    There are various ways to get the map update onto a sd card.
    may i know the other ways?

thanks
  • sussamb 168 Points
    Well the way I do it as it gives me more control and checks over what's happening is to clone my nuvi onto a sd card and download the maps etc to that. I then check it's all working using Basecamp and Mapsource, then install the card into my nuvi and check it all works there. Once I'm happy with that I transfer the files into the nuvi itself.

If you need further detail then it may not be the route for you, although google should help with any further info/methods :wink:
  • drugo 21 Points
    Well the way I do it as it gives me more control and checks over what's happening is to clone my nuvi onto a sd card and download the maps etc to that. I then check it's all working using Basecamp and Mapsource, then install the card into my nuvi and check it all works there. Once I'm happy with that I transfer the files into the nuvi itself.

If you need further detail then it may not be the route for you, although google should help with any further info/methods :wink:
    but is there a batch file to move some files to nuvi and some files(map to the sd) ?

i mean i did understood , you use an sd and you copy one file inside ( i don't remember the name of the file) and the mapdownloader install everythin in the sd

but again a batch file could be very handy, to move the right files to the nuvi and some like the map to the sd

thanks
  • sussamb 168 Points
    No, you need to do it manually :)
  • drugo 21 Points
    No, you need to do it manually :)
    but a bat file can do it
    create folder and so on , moves files

is there a tutorial to do manually?
  • I had the same issue memory is not enough....

Firmware maps and something else loaded.....

so maybe other stuff is eating the space up as well.

Once loaded I found I did not like the changes ata all, and now just living wit hthis newly updated gps...

Map looks smaller, otehr junk added/removed....
  • drugo 21 Points
    I had the same issue memory is not enough....

Firmware maps and something else loaded.....

so maybe other stuff is eating the space up as well.

Once loaded I found I did not like the changes ata all, and now just living wit hthis newly updated gps...

Map looks smaller, otehr junk added/removed....
    does the uploader use the sd to store maps ?

thanks
  • DerekW 41 Points
    I think it is the Junction View file that is growing rather rapidly.

RE Micro SD cards is there a maximum size limit like there is with SD and SDHC cards ie some devices do not read/write the larger capacity cards.
  • drugo 21 Points

RE Micro SD cards is there a maximum size limit like there is with SD and SDHC cards ie some devices do not read/write the larger capacity cards.
    but garmin should think about this before release a new map!

in short the Life time is a joke , garmin doesn't update correctly model released the last year (i can understand for model of 3 o 4 years ago) but no for model that are still avaible to buy
  • t923347 200 Points

At least with the North America maps the JV file has stayed about the same size or got a little bit smaller over the last couple of map updates.

A micro SD card is the same as the regular SD/SDHC card other than it's phyical size. I think all Nuvi models now support up to a 16GB card whether they take a micro or regular size card.
  • sussamb 168 Points
    When I last checked Garmins advice was up to 8Gb, with a caveat that larger cards may work.
  • t923347 200 Points
    Still the same, 8GB. I have a different make and class of 16GB card in each of 3 different Nuvi models and they all work fine. I think as long as your using a newer model 16GB will work fine but on the other hand not many folks are going to need that much space. :wink:
  • I dont mind buying a NUVI with only 4GB of memory and having to use a SDcard for the newer maps because they dont fit the internal memory anymore.
    Altough I think all newer models will come with at least 8gb of memory because the latest maps will not fit 4 GB's especially with the new features like that natural voice thing unless Garmin pulls a rabbit out of the hat and puts 6GB only. :?

My concern is the performance impact in the refresh rate of the map display from a SD card especially when I have thousands of POIs in separate files.
    Its noticeable and annoying.
  • drugo 21 Points
    I dont mind buying a NUVI with only 4GB of memory and having to use a SDcard for the newer maps because they dont fit the internal memory anymore.
    Altough I think all newer models will come with at least 8gb of memory because the latest maps will not fit 4 GB's especially with the new features like that natural voice thing unless Garmin pulls a rabbit out of the hat and puts 6GB only. :?

My concern is the performance impact in the refresh rate of the map display from a SD card especially when I have thousands of POIs in separate files.
    Its noticeable and annoying.
    the map is around 2gb i guess , the rest is bloated of publicity, advertising $$$
    but why the user was not able to update his unit with a sd inside?
  • sussamb 168 Points
    Still the same, 8GB. I have a different make and class of 16GB card in each of 3 different Nuvi models and they all work fine. I think as long as your using a newer model 16GB will work fine but on the other hand not many folks are going to need that much space. :wink:
    True ... I've just updated my maps and junction view and I'm still only using the 4 Gb of internal memory, and that's with an OSM map also loaded :wink:
  • I bought a 2595LMT a couple of weeks ago to eventually replace my 660 which was starting to get a bit "squirelly" :D, and I wanted the entirety of Europe mapping, which I had on the 660.

I did the map update on 14th Feb (2013.30), and in fact posted on here about my frustration with Express.

I've just connected the 2595 for the new update to be told that the internal memory is insufficient! It's about 8GB and the new update is too large for it!!

I did buy an 8B micro SD, but that was in the expectation of not needing it for a while yet! I am staggered that I need to use an SD card already. I have already cleared out unneeded languages, help files, vehicles, voices and keyboards - I can't really see what else I can get rid of. This is - in my view, ridiculous.
  • sussamb 168 Points
    According to a reply I saw from Garmin a 2595 has a little over 7 GB of internal memory, with about half of that used by system files.

So you probably have about 3.5 Gb for maps etc. Given that the full EU map is over 3 Gb and then there is the junction view file (mine is over .5 Gb) I can understand there being not enough space.

Do you need all of the EU map? I just load Western Europe.
  • I occasionally pop into Eastern Europe (makes it sound like my local newsagent! :D ) and it's handy to have the lot without having to remember to load another map.
  • sussamb 168 Points
    Well I'm not clear if the 3.5 Gb 'system files' quoted by Garmin include the map. You could have a root around in your GPS to confirm this. If it's true then you are going to need that card, at least for some of the map.

Maybe you could install Western Europe on the device and the rest on the card?
  • Good idea - I'll give that a try. I'm still amazed that it all got so bloated so quickly though.
  • When I tried to install one of the previous map updates on my 3490 using Lifetime Map Updater, it complained about insufficient space and asked for the SD card. However, the same map update fit on the device perfectly when installed through Dashboard's single-use map updater. I was told that this was likely a glitch in Lifetime Map Updater.

Now Dashboard no longer provides single-use updaters. It asked me to install and use Garmin Express instead, which is what I did yesterday. However, Garmin Express again complains about insufficient space on the device and again asks for a SD card.

I wonder whether Garmin Express complaint about insufficient space is legitimate... Could it be the same bug inherited from Lifetime Map Updater? Or is the latest map really so much larger than the previous ones?

P.S. Again, the size of 'Garmin' folder I now have on the SD card is 1.83 GB, while the amount of free space in the internal storage is 2.85 GB. Technically it should have fit.

Meanwhile, during the initial installation attempt Garmin Express told me that it needs 4.4 GB of free space. I wonder where did 4.4 GB come from? For intermediate files? Anything else?
  • t923347 200 Points
    The "the single use updater" is called Garmin's MapUpdater and is still available from:

PC Version

http://download.garmin.com/lmu/GarminMapUpdater.exe

MAC Version

http://download.garmin.com/lmu/GarminMapUpdater.dmg

Download which ever is applicable for your environment and you will be able to install the full map update on your 3590.
  • AndreyT 0 Points
    I downloaded that standalone map updater and got some strange results from it as well.

I removed the SD card from my 3490 and ran the standalone map updater. It asked me if I want to reinstall the latest maps. I confirmed that and it went into download mode without any complaints about "insufficient space".

However, I had to reset the Internet connection, so I stopped the updater before it had a chance to finish.

When I started the updater next time, it seemed to do everything from scratch, like before, but this time it suddenly complained right away about insufficient space on my device (!). It said that it needs an SD card with at least 1.8 GB of free space. Meanwhile, the internal storage in my device continued to show 2.85 GB of free space (?). Yet, the standalone installer still complained.

I tried to restart/reboot/reconnect several times, to no avail.

I inserted the SD card back and reinstalled the maps to the SD card successfully. Then I removed the card and tried the standalone installer again. Doesn't work. Insufficient space.

Basically, the standalone map installer doesn't help either. Well, I'll keep it on SD card then...
  • sussamb 168 Points
    You can always manually copy the map files across to your GPS. Let us know if you'd like to do that and one of us will explain how :wink:
  • t923347 200 Points
    Also, from your post it would indicate losing your internet connection is what messed up the map update, not "standalone updater program". MapUpdater appeared to working properly until you "reset the internet connection".
  • makem 41 Points
    You can always manually copy the map files across to your GPS. Let us know if you'd like to do that and one of us will explain how :wink:
    I would appreciate knowing that please.
  • AndreyT 0 Points
    Also, from your post it would indicate losing your internet connection is what messed up the map update, not "standalone updater program". MapUpdater appeared to working properly until you "reset the internet connection".
    Maybe. Maybe not. Unlikely, I'd say.

Firstly, it appears that MapUpdater program makes no modifications to the device before the map data is successfully downloaded. So, terminating the download should not have caused any problems.

Secondly, the amount of free space on device did not change after that aborted download attempt. The device still reported 2.85 GB free while the MapUpdater kept asking for 1.8 GB.

Thirdly, as I said above I completed a successful install to SD card, which supposedly should have cleared any problems. Then I removed the SD card and tried reinstalling the maps again. And I got the "insufficient space" report again.
  • Mmoonitz 0 Points
    All this hassle over map updating is why I never update the garmins I have had, unless there is a firmware fix that is a absolutely necessary. I just buy a newer model. There are just too many bugs involved in these updates to make it worth while. I had suggested to Garmin that they would be advised to have their sales outlets be set up to 'professionally' handle these updates. It was more trouble than it was worth to update my 1490t recently, being on the phone with Garmin to free up memory. By the way, they told me all newer units come with 8gig of memory so future updating will be easier. Not sure i buy it though.
  • sussamb 168 Points
    I would have taken the opposite approach given the problems with the current nuvis and their use of trip planner as against route planner, although in the past like you I've simply bought a new model every 2 to 3 years rather than pay a premium for 'lifetime maps'.

I have a 1490 and intend to hang on to it for as long as possible so have now bought a lifetime maps package for it :)
  • sussamb 168 Points

You'd need to start a new thread explaining your particular circumstances if we're to cover that for you, otherwise you could be getting incorrect advice :)
  • Mmoonitz 0 Points
    If you have a 1490 with life maps, the question is does the unit have enough memory to accommodate the ever larger map and poi files, since the first 1490 was released? If not, then the problems start.
  • sussamb 168 Points
    Depends which version you have. Mine is the EU version with 4Gb, I have CN EU Western Europe loaded plus an OSM map and still plenty of room having cleared out all the unnecessary files. I reckon I'm good for at least another year or so :wink:
  • makem 41 Points

You'd need to start a new thread explaining your particular circumstances if we're to cover that for you, otherwise you could be getting incorrect advice :)
    I don't have any particular circumstances at the moment. I just thought it would be of interest to know how to download a map and copy it to my GPS rather than to an SD card, thereby learning which files need to be deleted on the unit should I have a reason in the future.

I will ask in a new thread if ever I need to thanks.
  • jreuschl 0 Points
    The "the single use updater" is called Garmin's MapUpdater and is still available from:

Download which ever is applicable for your environment and you will be able to install the full map update on your 3590.
    Thank you for this! Seems to be working better than the express one. (Plus gives you the option to save files locally for those who want that)

It is annoying that a brand new out of box 2475 doesn't have enough space to fit the two maps with updates, even with removing foreign language files from the internal memory.