Neither Map Updater or Garmin Express will 'find' my Nuvi

it used to be as easy as opening the program and plugging in my Nuvi 1450LMT. now only my computer finds the nuvi but i have no idea how to update the maps. i looked in the sticky threads about to manually update maps but didn't find anything. how can i get the programs to find my Nuvi?

Comments

• Map Updater doesn't find my nuvi
  • sussamb 235 Points
    Sorry, missed that bit as it's not in the body of your thread :oops:

Go here http://software.garmin.com/en-GB/gcp.html and see if your plug in is working and detects your nuvi?
  • Seldom 0 Points
    Might also help to try another USB cord and/or USB port.

• Go here http://software.garmin.com/en-GB/gcp.html and see if your plug in is working and detects your nuvi?
    i installed the garmin plug-in but once again when i plug in the nuvi nothing happens. the last time it worked was about a month ago when the nuvi said there was a map update. when i tried to install the maps it said there wasn't enough memory to load the map. so i got a memory card and put it in the slot on the side and now the nuvi can't be found by any garmin software. i've tried different usb ports and cords but nothing works. what the hell is wrong with this thing!!??
  • Marc 191 Points
    This sounds like a hardware problem if your computer doesn't react in any manner to the GPS being plugged in At the very least you would expect a device driver missing message. When you plug in other devices does your computer respond properly? If so, it is likely the USB cable or the port on the GPS device is defective. Just to be sure do a hard reset of your device and try one more time.
  • i plug in my nuvi and i click on My Computer and find it as USB Garmin storage device. the problem is that none of the Garmin map software finds the nuvi. this is on the same computer that i have used before with no problems.

i tried to install the latest map update but got a message that the internal storage on the device didn't have enough space so i got a 4gb storage card. that was when i started having trouble, even without the microSDHC card installed in the slot. could this card be the problem? does it have to be formatted or something?

thanks for the replies everybody :)
  • t923347 214 Points
    Normally the SD card will come already formatted but just to be sure you can always format it again. Just insure that you format the card as FAT32. If you have the same problem whether the card is inserted in the Nuvi or not, I wouldn't think that the card is the problem however.
  • sussamb 235 Points
    Go here http://software.garmin.com/en-GB/gcp.html and see if your plug in is working and detects your nuvi?
    I'm still not clear if you simply think the plug in is installed or whether it's detecting your device, it will say if it does like this:

Do you see the message saying Device is detected? If it's not being detected let us know.
  • willyboy 51 Points
    As a follow up to sussamb's post, if using Windows, make sure you have Windows Media Player 11 installed, it's a requirement.

o Supports Windows XP SP3 and later.
    o Supports Internet Explorer 7+, Firefox 3.6+, Safari 5+, or Chrome 8+.
    o This download only supports Windows computers. For the Mac download of Garmin Communicator Plugin click here.
    o This software requires Windows Media Player 11 or greater (a free download from Microsoft).
  • SergZak 222 Points
    o This software requires Windows Media Player 11 or greater (a free download from Microsoft).
    What software are these requirements for? The Communicator plug-in? For Garmin Express, I see
    Windows

Windows XP SP3 or newer, Microsoft .NET 4 Client Profile (included)
    1024 x 768 display, USB port and 1 GB RAM
    High speed Internet access (Not for use with dial-up, mobile or satellite connections)
    USB cable and a nüvi, zumo or dezl series device
    May require up to 13 GB free disk space
    Regardless, I don't get why on earth Windows Media Player would be required... :?: Oh well, that's Garmin for you!
  • willyboy 51 Points
    @SegZak

Sorry, should have mentioned it was for the Communicaor Plugin V 4.0.4.0
    referenced in Sussamb's post. This is the latest version. I'm not sure if earlier versions had the Media Player 11 requirement.

I agree why is Media Player 11 or above required, it is what it is from Garmin's standpoint.

See specs here:
    http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3607
  • I have 2 identical Garmin Nuvi 1390 LMTs. I have registered them both and was able to update the maps before. Now, one of them acts normal, updates etc.
    The 2nd one does exactly as Xray's does, it loads as an extra drive on my computer but none of the Garmin apps even can tell it's plugged in. I've worked back and forth with Garmin to try all the troubleshooting you guys have mentioned and they mentioned. Garmin apps just do not see the identical NUVI but sees the other one. This is very frustrating since I bought these specifically to not have to pay for new maps.

Xray - did you find any answers that finally worked or did you just leave it like I did and retry every so often? :shock:
  • crab886 0 Points
    I am having the same issues. Shows up in my computer, and recognized by GCP but will not load in Express. When I open express, it does appear that it sees a device, but never loads it. The orange swirling loading icon just stays there.
  • I found my problem. Finally. I was looking at the garmin as a drive and did properties on it, it was totally full! Once I removed some of the languages I didn't need, the Garmin apps found it. There must not even have been enough room to run a program to see my Nuvi.
    Hallelujah!!
  • willyboy 51 Points
    I am having the same issues. Shows up in my computer, and recognized by GCP but will not load in Express. When I open express, it does appear that it sees a device, but never loads it. The orange swirling loading icon just stays there.
    Since there are many reports of problems with Garmin Express why not try using Garmin's MapUpdater as member sussamb posted earlier.
    I refuse to use Garmin Express until the bugs are worked out. I,ve never experienced a problem when using MapUpdater.

Here is the link forum member sussamb posted for running MapUpdater (for PC):
    http://download.garmin.com/lmu/GarminMapUpdater.exe

For Mac
    http://download.garmin.com/lmu/GarminMapUpdater.dmg

Let us know if it worked.
  • MapUpdater is what i used in the first place. it worked about a week before i got the memory card. next time i plugged in my Nuvi the MapUpdater wouldn't work. that's when i downloaded Garmin Express but got the same results.
  • sussamb 235 Points
    @XrayTrain

Could you answer my previous post, as without knowing your response to that we're shooting in the dark. Is the Plug-in installed and does it recognise your device :?
  • willyboy 51 Points
    @XrayTrain

Could you answer my previous post, as without knowing your response to that we're shooting in the dark. Is the Plug-in installed and does it recognise your device :?
    It looks like he did have the Plug-in installed.
    "i installed the garmin plug-in but once again when i plug in the nuvi nothing happens."

MapUpdater is what i used in the first place.

My apologies for suggesting Mapupdater, after re-reading all the posts I see XrayTrain did try that program and it failed.
    I think possibly your problem lies with your PC's operating system, have you tried tp disable your anti virus program?
  • sussamb 235 Points
    Oops, like you I missed part of one of his post, always the problem when someone else hijacks the thread :wink:

I agree though, it sounds like maybe his AV or firewall could be blocking the download. The other thing he could try is to delete the GarminDevice.xml file in the Garmin folder, then reboot the nuvi so that that file is recreated. A corrupted xml file can also cause problems.
  • willyboy 51 Points
    I agree though, it sounds like maybe his AV or firewall could be blocking the download. The other thing he could try is to delete the GarminDevice.xml file in the Garmin folder, then reboot the nuvi so that that file is recreated. A corrupted xml file can also cause problems.

Excellent suggestion on deleting the GarminDevice.xml file. Easy enough to do and no harm done if it's not the problem.

I fogot to memtion to disable the firewall as you suggested, another good point.

I use Eset Smart Security as my AV and firewall. I have the firewall set to manual, this enables me to control what programs or sites are trying to access my PC. In the beginning it's a bit time consuming since you must either permit or deny access, but once learned it remains in memory.
  • mdcarlson 0 Points
    Reading about this issue of the GarminDevice.xml file containing zero bytes, I found three possible fixes:

1. Delete the file and reboot the Garmin device causing the file to be recreated

2. Manually install a new version of the firmware

3. Delete voice and text language files that you don't need freeing up space and restart the device

Deleting the xml file and rebooting the device did not correct the issue.
    Garmin no longer provides firmware files outside of its unreliable web browser plugins or MapUpdater programs.

So, before I called support, I decided to try deleting non-English text and voice files. My available space on the device went from 14MB to over 125Mb. I'm not sure how much was really needed, but when I restarted the device this time, GarminExpress immediately detected it correctly and correctly updated the firmware and maps.

I had tried the fixes above on both Windows and Mac versions of the Garmin software with the same results. The Mac version worked correctly with my Nuvi 1450LM after deleting non-English files from Finder (Windows Explorer on a PC).

-mdc
  • sussamb 235 Points
    1. surprised this didn't work in your case as there was enough room on your GPS for the xml file, normally around 25Kb. It doesn't work if there isn't sufficient room even for the xml file.

2. the files are available although Garmin doesn't publicise this or the location :wink:

Note: MapUpdater only updates maps, not software, I suspect you meant WebUpdater

3. always worth doing regardless of whether you wish to recreate the xml file :)
  • isotope239 0 Points
    I had this same problem: neither mapupdater, webupdater, nor garmin express would recognize my Garmin Nuvi 1450- I could see the device (correctly identified) in Windows Explorer, but the little whirligigs just kept turning-

However, if you register your device with Garmin on their website and connect the device using the dashboard on the Garmin website, you then get an option to install updates to the SD card (if your device has one, which the 1450 does)- You can then go ahead and update your maps directly to the SD card with no problem-

No idea why Garmin doesn't give the apps, such as mapupdater, webupdater, or garmin express, the option to select a device's SD card, but apparently (at this point) they can't or won't, but the web site updater - installer that you access through your online Garmin dashboard works just fine with SD cards-
  • I had this problem today and spent an hour trying to figure out why I was having problems. When I deleted foreign language files and voice files to free up a LOT of space, my Garmin was identified right away by Garmin Express. Seems like this should be noted as a possible solution on the website!
  • leBaton 0 Points
    Had the same problem with my nuvi3590 it was on the computer but Garmin Express could not find it! Try taking out the micro SD and replug the nuvi back into the computer USB port, give it a minute to find itself and you should find it has been recognised, install the updated software first, then push back in your SD card (make sure it has enough free space) and then download your latest maps. It worked for me!
  • XrayTrain 0 Points
    edited March 27
    i've tried everything and just said **** it. biggest reason i got one of these was the free lifetime map updates...which doesn't work. beware the word 'free'. what a waste of $250.

[edit for inappropriate language -- mod]
  • Nyne 0 Points
    Finally got it to work.
    I was having the problem as most here, but I discovered on the initial plugin of the unit to my laptop in that pop up box that asks what you want to do if you click open a file, those funky hieroglyphs with 0 size must be removed, so I right clicked on the removable disk and formatted it, then unplugged and turned it off. Once I plugged it back in and started the WebUpdater, Shazzam!!!. All is well with the world again.

Cheers
  • ereynard 0 Points
    I had a similar problem. Switched to a different USB cable and everything worked fine afterwards. Be sure to use the cable that came with the device, or any other high quality cable.