This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Montana vs 60csx accuracy

Boyd 2002 Points
I posted something similar elsewhere about the Garmin GLO, but thought this deserved it's own thread. I performed the following test by setting each device to record 1 track point per second. I then imported the tracks into Globalmapper and converted them to individual points using double precision (survey grade) coordinates.

Interesting results; the 60csx shows a much tighter pattern than the Montana, however virtually none of it's points came within two meters of ground zero. If you averaged these points, looks like each unit would come within 5 meters of ground zero, maybe less.

I will let everyone draw their own conclusions. :)

Comments

• babj615 41 Points
    First silly question:

How did you determine the actual coordinates for GZ?
  • babj615 41 Points
    I just performed a side by side comparison of my Garmin GPSr units to see what the reported accuracy would be after sitting in the same location, outside, with clear sky and no obstructions for a short period of time (~30 minutes).

This was the result:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/407/gpsrtest0011200x.png/

I was a little surprised.
  • babj615 41 Points
    Second question: Who no GLO data in this thread?

And (third question), was the Montana using WAAS?
  • Boyd 2002 Points
    As you found, the GLO report is here: http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/comment/184806/#184806

You raise a good point... I was so immersed with messing around with the GLO and trying to record a track in Globalmapper using a Windows 7 tablet (Windows 7 apps aren't easy to use on a tablet :wink: ) that I didn't check the settings on the Montana and 60csx.

Neither the 60csx or Montana had WAAS enabled. I will try to run another test in the future using WAAS, but at least the playing field was level. They were both reporting about 10' accuracy when I checked before and after the test.
  • babj615 41 Points
    That is basically what I was trying to determine, how level the playing field was. But might be interesting to see if WAAS improves anything, especially when comparing to the GLONASS receiver.
  • Boyd 2002 Points
    I just ran a new test this morning. WAAS was enabled on both devices. Draw your own conclusions.... that's about all the testing I can handle for the time being. :)