This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Garmin Monterra... a connected Android Montana

Boyd 2002 Points
Rich has a story about this on the front page at GPSTracklog. I also found some discussion on another site. Amazon even has a product page with no shipping date:
Garmin 010-01065-00 Monterra Wi-Fi Enabled Handheld GPS
by Garmin

Be the first to review this item

Technical Details

Brand Name: Garmin
Model: 010-01065-00
Display Size: 4
Battery Average Life: 16 Hours

Product Description

Garmin is excited to introduce the new all-in-one adventure device, the Monterra. Now featuring our first Wi-Fi enabled handheld GPS built for the outdoors and powered by the popular Android operating system, the possibilities for the Monterra are endless. Users can access the full suite of apps available from the Google Play store through an available Wi-Fi connection. Additionally, app developers are free to create new outdoor-centric apps -giving the outdoor enthusiast access to their favorite apps on a rugged and waterproof, go-anywhere handheld device. The Monterra features a large 4-Inch sunlight-readable touchscreen display, 3 axis compass with accelerometer, gyro and barometric altimeter, plus a built-in 8MP autofocus camera allowing users to take geotagged photos and capture full 1080p HD video. It comes preloaded with a worldwide basemap, and includes 8 GB of internal memory in addition to a microSD card slot for optional mapping and extra data storage. Additionally, users can also create their own adventure and share their tracks, pictures, and videos with friends, family or fellow explorers using Garmin Adventures

Comments

• werewolf 112 Points
    Nothing new on the "Monterra", huh? I can't find any Amazon page on it.
  • Boyd 2002 Points
    Yeah, Rich admitted that his June 9 prediction was wrong over at GPSTracklog. But he still thinks it may be released this summer, possibly at the Outdoor Retailer show July 31 - August 3.

The US amazon link went dead quite some time ago. However there's a blank page for the Monterra at Cabela's and Amazon.ca has a page

Garmin Monterra
    by Garmin

Be the first to review this item

Technical Details

Brilliant 4? touchscreen display with dual orientation - Android operating system with Google Play apps
    Connectivity via WiFi (802.11gbn), Bluetooth 4.0, ANT+ or NFC (Near Field Communication)
    8MP autofocus camera with automatic geotagging, LED flash/torch, and full 1080p HD video capture capability
    3-axis compass with accelerometer, gyro and barometric altimeter -Built-in waterproof microphone and speaker with 3.5mm jack
    Dual battery system - rechargeable Li-ion pack (included) or replaceable 3 AA batteries - FM Radio (with NOAA - SAME weather alerts, U.S. only)
  • Zemartelo 207 Points
    Interesting...
    Perhaps people should hold on buying the new 600's...
  • Boyd 2002 Points
    Oregon 600? When the Amazon page was online originally it had a price of $700 for the Monterra. I think the it may appeal to a different market.... ;)
  • Zemartelo 207 Points
    The 600's hover around the $500.00... At that price point I dont think the extra $200.00 going to make much difference to those folks.
  • Boyd 2002 Points
    The Oregon 600 is $400 at Amazon.... :)
  • Boyd 2002 Points
    And here it is!

http://garmin.blogs.com/my_weblog/2013/06/introducing-monterra-new-garmin-outdoor-handheld-with-android-os.html#.Ucg3Z1EvB5g

It's slightly cheaper than we expected, but $650 is still a hefty price and it won't be available until the 3rd quarter.

Interesting to note that there appear to be some touch buttons below the screen.

Today, we are excited to announce Monterra, our first WiFi-enabled outdoor handheld GPS that combines Garmin’s powerful location and mapping capabilities and the versatility of the Android™ operating system. It has a vivid, sunlight-readable touchscreen, and users can easily access the Google Play Store™ and download apps through an available WiFi connection right on the device. Developers are also free to create new apps that are ideally suited for the rugged, waterproof, and sensor-loaded handheld device.
    “Monterra provides outdoor professionals and enthusiasts with the ultimate ability to customize their GPS device to perfectly suit their personal and professional needs,” said Dan Bartel, Garmin’s vice president of worldwide sales. “With a four-inch, color, multi-touch display, unique 3D MapMerge, and the ability to create new apps, Monterra takes the outdoor GPS to a whole new level, and users are able to take advantage of the features no matter how adverse the terrain may be.”

With the Android operating system, users are able to access all their favorite outdoor-related Android apps, such as Peak Finder, and even those that aren’t, through the Google Play Store right on the device. They can even access professional apps like construction estimators and ArcGIS to extend some office functions to the field. Monterra also has a built-in FM radio and NOAA weather radio with SAME alerts, so users can receive watches and warnings related to their location. Users can either listen with headphones or through the built-in speaker.

Monterra has a built-in 3-axis compass with accelerometer and gyro, which indicates the user’s direction even when standing still or not holding the device level. Its barometric altimeter has the ability to track changes in pressure to pinpoint precise altitude, and it can also plot barometric pressure over time to monitor weather conditions. It also has a built-in UV sensor so users can monitor the intensity of the sun, and reduce exposure if necessary. Thanks to its high-sensitivity, dual-band GPS and GLONASS receiver, Monterra finds its location quickly and maintains signal lock even in heavy cover and deep canyons.

New to the Monterra, is a unique mapping feature: 3D MapMerge. With this feature, users can combine two maps-like TOPO, basemap, or BirdsEye Satellite Imagery- then view the new unique map in three dimensions. Hills, valleys, lakes, roads, and points of interest combine to give Monterra’s maps unequaled detail and richness. Combine BirdsEye with TOPO US 24K, or a GIS-based water table map with a shaded relief basemap, then zoom in, pan out, and rotate the 3D map using multi-touch. With 3D MapMerge, Monterra becomes the ultimate mapping tool.

No need to take a separate camera out into the field, either. Monterra has a built-in 8-megapixel autofocus digital camera that takes vivid, geo-tagged photos for easy return navigation, plus a 1080p HD video camera with LED flash. Users can easily download photos and videos to their computer for either work or sharing using Garmin Adventures. Monterra has 8 GB of internal memory built-in plus a microSD slot for even more extra storage.

Monterra features a vivid and highly durable mineral glass display that uses sunlight in combination with the unit’s LED backlight to increase brightness and view-ability. Monterra has an IPX7 waterproof rating and also uses a dual battery system, which allows users the option of using the rechargeable Li-ion pack (included) or traditional AA batteries. It is also compatible with the same mounts as the Garmin Montana™, so users can take Monterra anywhere.

Wireless sharing is easy with Monterra. It has WiFi, ANT+™, Bluetooth 3.0 and NFC capabilities, which allows users to share data, maps, waypoints, tracks, routes, and geocaches with other wireless compatible devices. Additionally, Monterra is compatible with BaseCamp™, a free software download that lets you view and organize maps, waypoints, routes and tracks.

Monterra is a heavyweight geocaching device, meaning it can hold millions of geocaches. Download caches from OpenCaching.com, or use a downloaded Android app, and users won’t run out of room. All the paperless geocaching features, such as descriptions, hints and logs, will be there for every single cache. Cachers can also view photos, connect to chirp® enabled caches, and filter caches by size, terrain, difficulty and type.

The new Garmin Monterra will be available third quarter 2013 at a suggested retail price of $649.99 (Worldwide with preloaded worldwide basemap), and $699.99 (U.S. with preloaded TOPO U.S. 100K with Navteq® roads). With Monterra, users are able to work mobile in the field, using all the Android apps they are used to using, but with the assurance of a rugged device that is waterproof, has longer battery life, an easy to read display and a variety of mounting options.
  • Zemartelo 207 Points
    It looks like an awesome machine but alas out of my price range... :(
  • popej 57 Points
    There is video form Germany:
  • Boyd 2002 Points
    It looks very similar to the Montana from the back, maybe it will use the same cradle? But it also looks like it will suffer from the same lack of a belt clip or carabiner as the Montana. :x
  • popej 57 Points
    It is compatible with Montana mounts, according to quote in your previous post ;)
  • werewolf 112 Points
    And here it is!

http://garmin.blogs.com/my_weblog/2013/06/introducing-monterra-new-garmin-outdoor-handheld-with-android-os.html#.Ucg3Z1EvB5g

It's slightly cheaper than we expected, but $650 is still a hefty price and it won't be available until the 3rd quarter.

Third quarter starts like next week, doesn't it?

Expensive, and it doesn't even come with the free lifetime maps like the much cheaper Nuvis...but I think I paid even more for my Garmin 276C along with the required accessories about nine years ago.
  • Zemartelo 207 Points

Third quarter starts like next week, doesn't it?

Expensive, and it doesn't even come with the free lifetime maps like the much cheaper Nuvis...but I think I paid even more for my Garmin 276C along with the required accessories about nine years ago.
    9 years ago is the operative word isnt it? :)

At this very steep price $650.00 who is this unit target to?
    I cant see the hiking/geocacher/biker/walker enthusiast forking that kind of money for the unit.

Which leaves the professionals but the features on this device imo doesnt seem to appeal to that crowd.

Did Garmin priced this unit for failure?
  • cdmackay 0 Points
    Interesting to note that there appear to be some touch buttons below the screen.
    They look like the standard (new-style) on-screen Android buttons.

i.e. they may look like they're below the screen, but they're not. It's just the bottom part of the screen being given over to a button area.

Waste of space, it seems to me, but it does allow (in the Android world) for a more uniform look across devices with and without hardware buttons.
  • werewolf 112 Points
    Maybe that's just the list price, Z - plus you need to buy the maps for it - but I expect it will be sold at a discount, especially if you wait a bit - and waiting a bit is a good idea with Garmin anyway since they seem to turn out the beta model to the public for debugging, judging by the Montana - and my old 276, too.
  • Boyd 2002 Points
    i.e. they may look like they're below the screen, but they're not. It's just the bottom part of the screen being given over to a button area.
    Are saying that the black area under the screen is actually an active part of the screen with no image? Or are those just markings on glass that aren't touch sensitive? Looking at the photo above, you can see what appears to be the bottom of the LCD panel beneath the 5 icons.
  • werewolf 112 Points

Are saying that the black area under the screen is actually an active part of the screen with no image? Or are those just markings on glass that aren't touch sensitive? Looking at the photo above, you can see what appears to be the bottom of the LCD panel beneath the 5 icons.

Those three icons on the bottom are not part of the screen , but they are touch sensitive. The 5 icons above are part of the screen. They disappear. You can see more images on the German link above.
  • Boyd 2002 Points
    At this very steep price $650.00 who is this unit target to?
    I cant see the hiking/geocacher/biker/walker enthusiast forking that kind of money for the unit.

Which leaves the professionals but the features on this device imo doesnt seem to appeal to that crowd.
    I assume they are aiming at people with disposable income that enjoy gadgets. I don't know how bit of a market that is, but it certainly exists. There are plenty of people out there who just get out their credit card when they see a gadget they like and don't especially worry about a $650 cost. I can see a 30-something Wall Street type getting one.

But I agree it is way too expensive for the mass market. I think Garmin has learned a lot in the Nuvi series. These prices have been steadily dropping over the past two years. I paid $1000 for a StreetPilot 2620 about 10 years ago. As Zemartelo says, them days is gone. :D

The Nuvi line tops out around $450 today. I think that is where they need to get with the Monterra for it to catch on. But that upsets the Oregon 6x0 and Montana price structure, and I doubt they are willing to drop those enough to distinguish the Monterra.

I am impressed though - congratulations to Garmin for taking bold steps like this. The Montana was also a breakthrough product and the Oregon 6x0 refines it further. They are creating innovative new handheld products every couple years - what's not to like about that?
  • Boyd 2002 Points
    Those three icons on the bottom are not part of the screen , but they are touch sensitive.
    That's what I said above but cdmackay didn't seem to agree... :wink:
  • Boyd 2002 Points
    Product page is now online here:

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/prod113522.html

Here's a big turn-off for me though... couldn't they give us anything better than the Montana?

Display resolution, WxH 272 x 480 pixels

I also thought they would include a cellular radio in some version of the Monterra, but evidently not. Maybe someday that will come. Or maybe they will support it with some form of smartphone link? I suppose you could use your phone as a personal hotspot for the time being.

Interesting to note they are including "anti-glare screen protectors" in the box. Hmm, is that a comment on the display quality? :wink:
  • werewolf 112 Points
    Product page is now online here:

Here's a big turn-off for me though... couldn't they give us anything better than the Montana?

Display resolution, WxH 272 x 480 pixels

My 9 yr old Garmin 276C has a screen res of 320 X 480 on a slightly smaller 3.75" screen. Sharper - but they say the Montana type screen is better and visible in sunlight whereas mine needs to have the light on full in order to see it in sunlight (which was not the case with the older b & w Garmin 176).
  • cdmackay 0 Points
    Those three icons on the bottom are not part of the screen , but they are touch sensitive.

That's what I said above but cdmackay didn't seem to agree... :wink:
    Yes, sorry, I was wrong.

It's just that those 3 icons looks like standard Android icons. On e.g. the Nexus tablet (stock Google Android), you get icons like that at the bottom of the screen, but still part of the screen.

So I assumed that they were part of the screen, and not separate dedicated hardware touch buttons below the screen.

But you're right, looking more closely, that's not the case, and the screen really does stop below the 5 icons, above the 3.

sorry!
  • Boyd 2002 Points
    Looks like the Monterra is a bit larger than the Montana. See the picture here:

http://www.pocketnavigation.de/2013/06/garmin-monterra-wurf-bruder/

I scaled a picture of my own Montana and 5" Nuvi 3550 on the left to match. I wish they could have squeezed a 5" (or 4.7" or even 4.3") screen into the Monterra. That would allow for a greater pixel count at the same dot pitch as the 4" Montana.

Yeah, I am probably asking for too much. :)

• werewolf 112 Points
    It's the same screen as the Montana. In fact they're not all that different. Here they are compared:

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/catalog/product/compareResult.ep?compareProduct=113522&compareProduct=75228

The Monterra has new features, but I'm not sure how useful they are in a GPS, and a couple of Montana features are actually removed, like the sun and moon info, which I actually use a lot.
  • Boyd 2002 Points
    Are you sure? The size is the same but I thought it was a glass capacitive screen like the Oregon 600 series. The flat front face of the Monterra would imply that. The Montana has a resistive screen, albeit a very nice one. It doesn't support multi-touch gestures. Wouldn't that be expected for an Android device?
  • popej 57 Points
    a couple of Montana features are actually removed, like the sun and moon info, which I actually use a lot.
    It's not a problem, there are many programs available, that can give you this info on Android device.
  • Zemartelo 207 Points
    I wish Garmin would just release a beefed up 550 with faster cpu for faster map rendering, unlimited geocaches and 8m pixel camera...

Thats all... oh and price around $200.00. :)
  • werewolf 112 Points
    a couple of Montana features are actually removed, like the sun and moon info, which I actually use a lot.

It's not a problem, there are many programs available, that can give you this info on Android device.

But you need to be online to use them, don't you?
  • werewolf 112 Points
    Are you sure? The size is the same but I thought it was a glass capacitive screen like the Oregon 600 series. The flat front face of the Monterra would imply that. The Montana has a resistive screen, albeit a very nice one. It doesn't support multi-touch gestures. Wouldn't that be expected for an Android device?
    All I know about it, Boyd, is what the Garmin comparison chart I linked to right above shows, and that is identical descriptions of both screens. Here's the link again, but I think they don't allow hyperlinks on here, but I'll try...

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/catalog/product/compareResult.ep?compareProduct=113522&compareProduct=75228
  • werewolf 112 Points

All I know about it, Boyd, is that the Garmin comparison chart, linked right above, shows the same specs for both screens.
  • werewolf 112 Points
    I wish Garmin would just release a beefed up 550 with faster cpu for faster map rendering, unlimited geocaches and 8m pixel camera...

Thats all... oh and price around $200.00. :)

Could you leave off the camera and make that $99.95? I'd rather have less bells and whistles - fewer parts to break, and I already have a camera - and just have the GPS do GPS stuff.
  • Boyd 2002 Points
    All I know about it, Boyd, is that the Garmin comparison chart, linked right above, shows the same specs for both screens.
    That's like looking at a comparison chart and saying a Mercedes and a Hyundai are the same because they're both blue and seat four people. :)

Look at the very first line of the Monterra product page. This is not a description of the Montana screen...

4” dual orientation, sunlight readable, durable mineral glass display with multi-touch interface
  • cdmackay 0 Points

But you need to be online to use them, don't you?

No, there are a number of Android apps that claim to offer offline use, e.g. Sun Surveyor, Photographer's Ephemeris, etc.

I've not tried them myself, but it looks promising.
  • popej 57 Points
    Many free Android apps has internet connection as a requirement, but it is only for adding on-line advertisements. No connection, no ads ;)

Would be interesting if Monterra could be easily rooted, to extend its functionality.
  • werewolf 112 Points
    Wouldn't those Android moon and sun aps would need to to enter your location manually if you're not online - if they are even set up for that?
  • werewolf 112 Points

That's like looking at a comparison chart and saying a Mercedes and a Hyundai are the same because they're both blue and seat four people. :)

Look at the very first line of the Monterra product page. This is
    not a description of the Montana screen...

4” dual orientation, sunlight readable, durable mineral glass display with multi-touch interface

No, nothing about the color of the trim or how many seats the two GPS models have, just that garmin describes them both with identical display screen specs:

Display size, WxH:

2"W x 3.5"H (5.06 x 8.93 cm); 4" diag (10.2 cm)

2"W x 3.5"H (5.06 x 8.93 cm); 4" diag (10.2 cm)

Display resolution, WxH:

272 x 480 pixels

272 x 480 pixels

Display type:

bright, transflective 65k color TFT, dual-orientation touchscreen; sunlight readable

bright, transflective 65k color TFT, dual-orientation touchscreen; sunlight readable

• alanb 557 Points
    Wouldn't those Android moon and sun aps would need to to enter your location manually if you're not online - if they are even set up for that?
    They can get your location from the GPS chip.
  • Boyd 2002 Points
    edited June 2013
    garmin describes them both with identical display screen specs
    The screens are not the same. I'd say this is a case of Garmin cutting and pasting specs from another model when creating the product page. We have seen this kind of error many times with the Nuvi series.

And now I'm wondering if the 480x272 spec might also be wrong. We had a long discussion of this when the Nuvi 2797 was introduced and the spec said 480x272. That turned out to be a cut and paste error with the specs from the 2597. The actual Nuvi 2797 had an 800x480 screen. So maybe there's hope for the Monterra after all. :)

And if you want to see another error on the product page, click on the link for the owners manual.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-trail/handhelds/monterra-/prod113522.html

I thought - "Cool, they already have the manual online!" and started reading. Then I realized it was the manual for the Montana 6x0. Also check out the software link on the Monterra page. It takes you to a page of Montana 650t updates. :lol:
  • Boyd 2002 Points
    Early review here:

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/122006-garmin-monterra-outdoor-gps-pictures-and-hands-on
    In the hand the Monterra's 4-inch transflective LCD screen looks, quite frankly, horrid by today's standards. It's low resolution and we had a hot pixel after just one day of use.
    But I'm looking at the picture of the main screen here, and it appears higher resolution than 480x272. Look how small the text is. The icons and text on the Montana are much larger than that (am holding mine in my hand right now).

And this too. I don't think you can get text that small on a 480x272 screen. My guess would be the correct size is 800x480.

[EDIT]
    Here's a full sized screenshot from the software license on the montana, which is the smallest text I could find. I just don't know now. Is this the same size as the small text in the review photo above? Perhaps it is? I find it a bit hard to read on the Montana itself. That could explain the "horrid" comment about the Monterra screen in the review. ;)

• werewolf 112 Points
    "In the hand the Monterra's 4-inch transflective LCD screen looks, quite frankly, horrid by today's standards. It's low resolution and we had a hot pixel after just one day of use...."

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/122006-garmin-monterra-outdoor-gps-pictures-and-hands-on#

That early review does NOT make this latest Garmin GPS sound very attractive. I may just have to hold on to my 276C indefinitely - I think Garmin will refurbish it for $150 - or learn about using a tablet as a vehicular GPS - I have my eye on the new Nexus that's due to come out soon - 7" screen, 1980X1200 resolution - at a cost of maybe 1/4 that of the Monterra!
  • sussamb 829 Points
    Review on uTube

• Zemartelo 207 Points
    Garmin needs to step down a notch the crazy pricing for its units.

They have nothing that a smartphone cant do (and more) besides the ruggedness and battery life.

I have an Oregon 550 and I would like to upgrade to the 650 or this Monterra, but the prices have to come down to Earth.
    I dont live in the moon.

Garmin would sell alot more units if the prices were more reasonable imo.
    the advantage of that imo is that sales would be constant and Garmin would not need to constantly have to update their line up to which seems like every 6 months new unit available.
  • Boyd 2002 Points
    I don't think you will ever see GPS prices come into line with smartphones for several reasons. First, smartphones are sold by the millions all around the world. The market for high end handheld gps devices is tiny compared to that, so you don't have economies of scale.

Second, you may have only paid $200 for that new iPhone, but it's really a $600 or $700 device. The two year contract you signed has the extra cost rolled into - essentially you are buying it on the installment plan.

I have to believe that Garmin is keenly aware of these market pressures and they probably sell these advanced units on a pretty slim margin. Rich has an interesting theory on the Monterra over at GPSTracklog. He feels it's just an experiment and Garmin doesn't expect to sell very many. He thinks the "real" product will come along later, something with an Oregon form factor. According to him, the Montana has not sold very well either because it's perceived as being too large.

Actually Garmin has been doing better than other GPS makers like TomTom recently. One reason for this is their outdoor/sports products which are a growing market for them.

And if somebody wants a cheap handheld GPS, there's always the eTrex 20 at about $150 or the Oregon 450 at about $200. I think you're just dreaming if you expect Garmin (or any well known company) to market a high end product like the Monterra for under $400. And they are going to need to sell a lot of units to even get the price that low IMO.
  • jdgwinnell 91 Points
    As Boyd said recently, some of us remember buying the StreetPilot series for about $1000 a few years ago - 2" screen and no meaningful relationship with a computer beyond MapSource sending maps, routes and waypoints. Mind you the software was better - you could ask it to tell you points of interest on your route so you knew when the next gas station would appear in the heat haze of the Arizona desert...
  • werewolf 112 Points
  • ddabcd277 47 Points
    Garmin Monterra should be the most accurate GPS from Garmin. (GPS pus GLONASS) Because it would have a jack for an external antenna. No of the Garmin handhelds with GLONASS have an external jack for antenna AFAIK.

The question I am bothered is why Garmin haven't added a GSM module or an availability for such to a handheld for surveillance purposes. Not only for hiking. Surelly there would be people who would be interested in buying such a device. With it the device could acquire payed differential correction. Garmin don't, AFAIK, offer such a device, when other brands offer - e.g. Magellan Mobile Mapper.
  • werewolf 112 Points
    I don't think the overpriced boondoggle is even for sale anyplace, including Garmin itself, which says "order processing time is 5 - 8 weeks".
  • sussamb 829 Points
    Rich Owings has now published a quick look on the Monterra here

http://gpstracklog.com/2013/11/garmin-monterra-android-first-looks.html#more-21943

A full review will apparently follow in due course.
  • Boyd 2002 Points
    Rich Owings has now published a quick look on the Monterra
    I saw that. Not much info yet, but some nice screenshots. GPSCity had been quoting today as the expected ship date, but they have now pushed it back to November 10.