This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

GPS False Turns

opieandy 0 Points
edited November -1 in GPS Recommendations
Is there a GPS that recognizes that a normal intersection is not a turn? My lovely Garmin tells me 5 times on my 6-mile route on a major highway to "keep right on Cobb Parkway" or some such. I am GOING STRAIGHT!!! As the route indicates!

It does the same thing on Interstate 75 in Atlanta!!!

The net effect is I have no idea how far it is until my real turn. I have to go to the step-by-step screen and add up the miles. Arrgh.

Is there a brand of GPS that doesn't do this?

Comments

• sussamb 813 Points
    Doubt it. You may think it's straight but there's something in the map data that says it isn't. You could always submit a 'map error report' to Navteq, who supply the maps to Garmin:

http://mapreporter.navteq.com/dur-web-external/secured/submitDur.do?userType=CONSUMER&language=en
  • opieandy 0 Points
    Yeah, not only do I "think" it's straight, it actually IS straight!!! It's a straight shot on a straight road with a few 4-way intersections. Garmin seems to think each 4-way intersection on this straight road is a turn.

Garmin also thinks the same thing about Interstate 75. What generic map data would tell all the GPS folks that there are "turns" on an interstate?

It's only 2013. Maybe by the year 3000 technology will catch up with common sense.
    :roll:
  • opieandy 0 Points
    Wish I could post a pic here. If you check 2800 Cobb Parkway Northwest, Kennesaw, GA on the Google Maps, you will see this major highway (Hwy 41) that actually goes all the way to Miami!!! It's 2-3 lanes per side. No turns to stay on it!

Ditto Interstate 75. Runs from Michigan to Florida. No turns, only exits!!! :)

Tried to submit a report to Navteq. Wow, is that a clunky site. Took forever to get it to let me login after registering, then it is very difficult to figure out how to do what I want (which is to report there are no "turns" to stay on Cobb Parkway).

Anyway, thanks for the tip. Once I get the site figured out, I'll make about 5 reports of things they need to fix!
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Common sense is something that a human is supposed to use when interpreting what a machine tells them. :P

Even though the road is straight, the map data will break it into many small sections. Obviously this can confuse Garmin's software at times. Not saying that this is a good thing, but "it is what it is".
  • opieandy 0 Points
    "Common sense is something that a human is supposed to use when interpreting what a machine tells them."

Agree! So one of the HUMAN employees at NAVTEQ should check the interstates and major highways (which obviously don't have "turns" to stay straight, except in rara cases where you are merging with another highway, etc.) and fix this data! It's plain to see from Google Maps that there are no turns where Navteq thinks there are turns. But the humans are asleep at the switch. Which makes their product less valuable. :shock:

Submitted a few reports to Navteq. Any idea what the process is from here? Do they typically fix these things, and if so, how long will it take?

Of course, I got lifetime traffic, not lifetime maps. So I'll have to buy a new GPS (same cost as buying new maps, it seems) to benefit. :shock:
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Submitted a few reports to Navteq. Any idea what the process is from here?
    If it were me, I would probably sit back and wonder why I wasted my time. :lol:

But I'm a cynic. If you are lucky, your changes might appear in an update a year from now. We have seen various user reports with varying results.
  • opieandy 0 Points
    Ha, that's about what I figured. I could tell from the site that the company is at least 10 years behind the times, which is a sign of not caring. :shock:
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    I'm not sure you're being fair here. People have developed what I often consider unreasonable expectations these days. It wasn't all that long ago when 4 or 5 year old "low resolution" paper maps were the norm. I got my first GPS in 2000, first automotive GPS in 2004 which was about the first year devices containing full pre-loaded US maps became available. It cost $1000 and stored data on a spinning IBM microdrive that we would consider very slow today.

Now we expect the world from a $100 device that includes free map updates 4 times per year. I am not making excuses for poor customer support or bad software design. Just saying that we have come a long way in a short time. Every now and then it's worth looking back. :)
  • wbport 92 Points
    Several of my NAVTEQ reports have resulted in map changes. On one of these a NS road from Mississippi to Tennessee, my GPS told me to make a hard left turn when crossing the state line (an N turn) on a perfectly straight road. A few months later the states were properly lined up and that problem went away.