This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Advice needed on purchase of 1st GPS

amy71pooh 0 Points
edited November -1 in GPS Discussions
I am needing to purchase a GPS for the sole purpose to use as a speedometer and mileage tracker.

The speedometer has already gone out on my suv and the mechanic says the gas hand will be next. Part to fix is at least $350 plus labor. I can't afford to do that at the moment so I am going for a temporary fix.

I am currently using my daughter's TOMTOM LIVE and she wants it back, lol. I don't really like it because the speed indicator is so small. The screen size is 4.3 so I already know I want at least a 5 inch screen.

I have been looking at the Garmin Nuvi 50LM. It seems to be a base model with lifetime maps which I think I should go ahead and purchase for not much more money.

ADVICE PLEASE?

Thanks!
Amy

Comments

• Boyd 1974 Points
    Do you have a smartphone? There are some free/cheap apps that can be used as speedometers on the iPhone. I would assume there's also something for Android.

But if you really just want a GPS for a speedometer, you will be wasting a lot of money buying a new unit with lifetime maps. The map has nothing to do with speed or mileage readings so it doesn't matter how old it is.

I would look for an older or refurb Nuvi. Have you seen the speedometer screen on the Nuvi? It is really pretty big. With normal vision, I wouldn't think you'd need a 5" screen - maybe 3.5" screen would even be enough?

Here's what it looks like on the Nuvi 1300 series (4.3" screen) for example. It is similar on just about every model.

• Thank you for your reply Boyd!

I do not have a smartphone. I had considered a refurb but didn't really know if that was a good idea. Most are around $100 and Amazon and BestBuy have the Garmin - nüvi 40LM 4.3" GPS with Lifetime Map Updates for $100.

I don't know why I am leaning toward the Garmin, I just don't like the screen on the TomTom at all and I have done some research and found Garmin's are recommended more often and seem to have better reviews.

I didn't know the screen could just show your mph and mileage! That is so cool. Thank you for the picture!

I know we will use the gps when we are out of town and I also yard sale a lot so I know it could come in handy for that so those are the main reasons I was looking at lifetime maps. I don't need traffic at all. We live in rural North GA....more cows than cars. :roll:

Thanks so much!
  • Boyd 1974 Points
    So I guess that you define "sole purpose" a little differently than me. :)
    I am needing to purchase a GPS for the sole purpose to use as a speedometer and mileage tracker.
    Thats fine, but it changes things a bit because now it sounds like you want a GPS with lifetime maps for all around use. I would agree that this puts you in the $100 range for an entry level device. Something suitable for your original purpose of speedometer might only cost $30 or $40.

The refurbs are a good value if purchased from an authorized Garmin dealer. They have the same warranty as a new unit, and some people think they may even be better because they have been checked out.
  • Thank you for quoting me Boyd, I had no idea that I was so misleading and hard to understand with my confusing questions.

Pretty sure I have it all figured out now.

Have a nice day! :)
  • roadster 96 Points
    http://www.amazon.com/OBD-II-Display-Speedometer-Voltage-installation/dp/B007PX8476/ref=sr_1_3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1366968473&sr=1-3&keywords=digital+speedometer

okay it won't kill two birds with one stone, but heck rather get your car broken into - Hey never happen to me, you aresaying, yep oneday wrongplacce you will forget and the window will cost more.

this can be left right in plane view, googlesearch what you want if a gps is only used for speed.

$100.00 or less

sorry not a expert in posting link
  • Thank you Roadster. That is pretty awesome! I didn't know I could buy something like that.

I will definitely consider it.

Have a nice day!