This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Downloading caches from Garmin's OpenCaching.com

Ramaprem 112 Points
edited November -1 in GPS Discussions
I have a new eTrex 20, with which I'm very impressed. The device works beautifully - especially with a OSM map installed on the SD card.

My first foray into geocaching was to visit geocaching.com - and using BaseCamp software, downloaded 4 cache locations.
I've now discovered the Garmin site, and downloaded 6 cache locations. I followed the instructions (drop-dead easy) - and got a check-mark indicating that the transfer was successful. Except that it actually wasn't; nothing was downloaded.

I still have the original cache locations from my first download session. Certainly I don't have to delete those before a successful download from OpenCaching? If so, how to delete? The menu has no simple "Delete this item" available.

Anyone have an idea why the download did not happen?
I have the Communicator Plugin installed and the device was in mass-storage mode, etc. - and, as I say - the download was shown to have happened.

Comments

• Ramaprem 112 Points
    I've made a second attempt - this time after signing in (I thought that that might be required) - to no avail.

I did, however, download the gpx file: geocache.gpx - which is now sitting on my desktop.
    If I cannot manage to download directly to my eTrex, I can drag-and-drop this file onto the eTrex - I assume. But where? SD card or Garmin? Should it replace an existing file? Do I need to delete a file first?
  • alanb 539 Points
    GPX files can go on either the internal storage volume or SD card. They need to be put in the \Garmin\GPX folder.
  • babj615 41 Points
    Is your eTrex displayed in the drop down menu at the top right corner of OpenCaching.com?

Do you have any other GPS or thumbdrives connected while the eTrex is connected?

Once you have created an account, the OX page will automatically connect to your GPSr, update downloaded caches, and ask if you want to log caches marked as found - all without touching anything: http://www.opencaching.com/en/#!guide/using-the-site

More OX help can be found here: http://www.opencaching.com/en/#!guide/using-the-site
  • Ramaprem 112 Points
    @babj615,
    "Is your eTrex displayed..."
    The drop-down menu had only one item the first times that I made the attempt: "An sd card is attached." So the answer was "No".
    But now the device itself is shown - although having no geocaches loaded! Strange, since there are cache locations loaded. They show up in the Geocache tile on the device.

Regardless, now with the device being recognized, I downloaded a group of caches successfully.

Thanks to you and alanb for the quick and accurate replies.
  • babj615 41 Points
    Currently, OX only recognizes geocaches loaded on the device itself, and will not read caches loaded on a uSD card.

Glad you got it working!
  • sussamb 813 Points
    It will ... that's where I put all my geocaches :wink:
  • babj615 41 Points
    It will ... that's where I put all my geocaches :wink:
    OpenCaching.com will not read any geocaches loaded to your uSD card.

When you download from OpenCaching.com, all geocaches are placed in the GPSr\Garmin\GPX\ directory.

The next time you connect your device, OpenCaching will inspect the GPSr\Garmin\GPX\ directory for loaded geocaches, and update the file(s) as necessary.

If you move them to any other directory, or to the uSD card, OpenCaching will not read them.
  • sussamb 813 Points
    Sorry, missed that bit about opencaching.com, geocaching.com does work off the sd card :oops:
  • babj615 41 Points
    Sorry, missed that bit about opencaching.com, geocaching.com does work off the sd card :oops:
    When does Geocaching.com read GPX files from your GPSr?

Last I knew, only OpenCaching.com was reading and refreshing geocache data on your GPSr directly from the web page.
  • sussamb 813 Points
    Yes, the thread got a bit confusing. The OP was asking where he should put the caches in his second post. alanb quite correctly said that caches could go either on the card or in the Etrex.

I was trying to clarify where you said about the OX only recognising caches on the device itself, thinking you'd written OX instead of OS :wink:

Just to confirm that geocaching.com caches can be placed either on the card or on the Etrex, as stated by alanb. Geocaching.com though doesn't read from the card or the Etrex.
  • Ramaprem 112 Points
    What is "OX"?
  • Ramaprem 112 Points
    Now that I have successfully downloaded caches from opencaching.com - and they are displayed/recognized, and are in their proper place (internal memory) - if I find another file named geocache.gpx anywhere, it can be deleted, right?

The caches downloaded recently from opencaching.com include all the locations originally downloaded from geocaching.com - so that original file is redundant, right?
  • babj615 41 Points
    Now that I have successfully downloaded caches from opencaching.com - and they are displayed/recognized, and are in their proper place (internal memory) - if I find another file named geocache.gpx anywhere, it can be deleted, right?

The caches downloaded recently from opencaching.com include all the locations originally downloaded from geocaching.com - so that original file is redundant, right?
    To the best of my knowledge, OX will not load caches to a file named geocache.gpx.

If you send them individually, they will be titled OX------.gpx

If you send them as a group from the map, they will be titled with the city nearest the center of the search map and a date when they were downloaded.

For safety, maybe just rename the geocache.gpx to geocache.zip and see if you loose anything important after a reboot. If not, delete it.
  • Ramaprem 112 Points
    What is "OX"?
  • babj615 41 Points
    What is "OX"?
    All OpenCaching.com geocache codes begin with OX.

OX = OpenCaching.com