This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

OpenStreetMaps

Do these maps work with the nuvi line, or only with handheld devices (like an eTrex)?

Comments

• sussamb 813 Points
    They'll work fine with the nuvi, though some better than others. I used a French OSM map on my wife's 1310 when in France last August. Routed pretty much identically to my 1490 with CN EU on board.
  • Ramaprem 112 Points
    Good to know. Thanks.
    So it's no longer really necessary to buy a map for a region - that wasn't pre-installed at purchase - that will be visited, perhaps only once. Especially since these OSM maps are updated quite regularly (that's my understanding).

As long as I'm here:
    Does the eTrex 20 - with an OSM map - have the ability to give real turn-by-turn instructions - as any device designed for autos?
  • sussamb 813 Points
    Yes and no. It will navigate using an OSM map, and comes preloaded with an automobile profile.

However unlike a nuvi you don't get spoken directions. I've used mine occasionally in the car but clearly the small screen can make things difficult. Ideally best to hand it to a 'navigator' in the car who can give instructions to the driver :)

Even on the nuvi you will notice some differences, no lane assist, speed limits etc etc but as a navigator it will work with OSM maps, provided of course they are routeable maps.
  • Ramaprem 112 Points
    How does one know if a map is "routable"?
    Are all OSM maps routable?
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    I don't use OSM but know there used to be some limitations. I gather they are getting better however. Can you search for an address and route to it - like 123 Main Street, Anytown, WI? If so, is that supported consistently across all the openstreetmaps or only some?

How about POI's? Can you find gas stations, restaurants, stores, etc?
  • Ramaprem 112 Points
    I've just recently purchased an eTrex 20. It's a really beautiful device.

The first thing that I did was to install an OSM map of Germany. This map (and, as I understand, most such maps) have less detail in some regards - like POIs. It simply has fewer.
    However, the detail is far, far greater with regard to pedestrian and bike paths; the most incredibly small section of a walkable path is shown. Even paths on places like school grounds. It's astounding.

And, yes - one can search for an address and route to it.

Is that supported consistently across all the OSMs? Don't know; that's basically my question. I am using one - and don't know about the others.
  • sussamb 813 Points
    I don't believe you can generalize about OSM maps. I've used a few, some aren't routeable , others are. Some will address search, some won't. Some are 'POI rich', others aren't. They 'are what they are'.
  • Zemartelo 207 Points
    And thats the beauty and the ugly of Openstreet maps.
    They are created by user input so it really depends what community an area has that updates these maps.

I wish Garmin would improve support to OSM and gradually drop Navteq.
    Navteq is slow to update their maps.
  • Ramaprem 112 Points
    Is there only one OSM for a given area?

I have found 3 (and there are probably more) sources (Web sites) that offer OSMs as downloads. My question is: if I download a map of Germany from one site, will the map be identical to the German OSM downloaded from another Web site?

Some of you have mentioned the differences among OSMs. Are you referring only to the detail of one region vs. another region?
  • sussamb 813 Points
    Again there's no hard and fast rule I'm afraid :wink:
  • Ramaprem 112 Points
    Gee - I'm looking for some hard-and-fast rules here. :cry:

And if I asked if there is one source of the best OSMs, your answer would - undoubtably - be: "there's no hard and fast rule I'm afraid :wink: "

Thanks in advance. :)
  • Ramaprem 112 Points
    I'm no longer receiving e-mail alerts to this thread. I am watching it, and there are no messages in any spam filters.
    What can be done about this?
  • sussamb 813 Points
    You got it! :wink:
  • popej 57 Points
    OSM data are changing every day, tools for creating maps are changing, map creators are improving their work. I would say that you can't download the same map twice ;)
  • Ramaprem 112 Points
    And I probably can't step in the same river twice :!:
    That's 8)

And I just got the e-mail alert. :)