Newbie with oregon 600

I just got my first GPS device and am struggling abit with some of the advanced navigation stuff. I am a competitor in teh Texas water Safari and I wan to use the GPS to tell me (among other things) 1. How far we have travelled from the race start, 2 how far until the next offical race checkpoint or hazard and 3. how much further we have to the race finish.

the race director has put a gpx file online on the webpage and I have converted it to a usable file format and loaded it onto the GPS device, but looking at it in Basecamp, it has like 2000+ waypoints on the track. I cant figure out if i need to delete the ones I dont want, or if ther eis some way to designate just the 10 official checkpoints ? help!

Im not sure I owuld know how to "clean it up" by removing select waypoints and could use guidance there if that is one step in the solution.

Comments

• babj615 0 Points
    Your Oregon 600 uses GPX files just fine. What format did you convert the GPX to?

Sounds like the GPX track/route has ~2000 points, not waypoints.

If you can direct me to the GPX file you speak of, I can have a look at it and see if I can help you get your Oregon 600 setup just the way you like.

In the mean time, you may want to do some reading here:

http://garminoregon6xx.wikispaces.com/
  • Riverchase 0 Points
    aha - that was a piece of info that I was missing. I did not realize that there are "points and waypoints". it looks like it has thousands of points on it and I need to make some of them into WAYPOINTS to mark the official race checkpoints. excellent.

the file was GPX and I could not get it to load. but I got a free rogram ITN converter online and then and online and converted it to an ITN file and it inported nicely. the file is hung on thi smap http://www.texaswatersafari.org/course-map/ and on teh map you can see the official checkpoints. I think I have figured out how to mark them in basecamp, but I still dont understand how to designate oneof teh points as a waypoint along the route so that I can tell how far it is until the next waypoint. if you can help with that it would be grand.
  • babj615 0 Points
    I can open that GPX file and see immediately that it contains 12 waypoints (including Race Start, Race Finish, and ten checkpoints in between), and a single track with 2898 points.
    Opening riverPath-with-checkpoints.gpx
    12 waypoints
    0 routes (0 points))
    1 tracks (2898 points in 1 track segments)
    Simply copy this GPX file to your Oregon 600\Garmin\GPX\ directory.

I just did so, and found 12 new waypoints in thew waypoint manager, and the track can be found in the Track manager under the title "Track".

One could use BaseCamp to load the track, convert to a route, insert the twelve waypoints, and send/export to the Oregon GPSr using route calculation methos 'Direct'.

More about BaseCamp can be found here:

http://garminbasecamp.wikispaces.com/

Or create a route on your Oregon GPSr with the twelve waypoints you have just loaded.

I believe you will have to be following a route with the inserted waypoints to see them appear as Next Waypoint in a dashboard data field.
  • Riverchase 0 Points
    went on the river this weekend and followed part of the track. we put in to the river at checkpoint 2 Luling 90. the track accurately showed us where we were and showed the track on my oregon 600. it also accurately told us how far we had to go until the race finish - that is BIG - but it did not tell us how far it was to the next waypoint, it told us how far we were from the next "point", so for 6 hours, it would tell us we were 200 feet from the next way point and so on and so on. Is that becasue there are two settings on the GPs that measure next and I just need to tell it to look at waypoints rather than "point"? or do we need to go into the file somehow and chnage the waypoints to "points"?
  • babj615 0 Points
    My first suggestion, as I can not be there to test this for you; Edit the track to remove all unnecessary track points.

Or, create your own track (or route) using BaseCamp, placing trackpoints only at the locations you want to see distance to during your run down the river.

Or, convert the existing track to a route in BaseCamp, and simplify the route to contain only the track/navigation points you need information for.
  • Riverchase 0 Points
    thanks - so what is the difference between a "track" and a "route" in basecamp? I cant seem to find anything that explains it very well and tells why I might use one or the other.

I opened the track we ran on Saturday in BAsecamp and deleted some of the points, but then it just became a straight line from start to finish and did not follow the actual path we took on the river. so that wont work.
  • Riverchase 0 Points
    that had some helpful information but I still cant find anything or anyone who can tell me exactly how to accomplish this. I read an article celebrating the Oregon for being able to track-route which is what they called this. However, they didn't say HOW to accomplish this. I would gladly pay $ if I could get some help with this - I have spent at least 8 hours trying to find somebody who knows how it is done. any takers?
  • babj615 0 Points
    that had some helpful information but I still cant find anything or anyone who can tell me exactly how to accomplish this. I read an article celebrating the Oregon for being able to track-route which is what they called this. However, they didn't say HOW to accomplish this. I would gladly pay $ if I could get some help with this - I have spent at least 8 hours trying to find somebody who knows how it is done. any takers?
    I am spending part of my evening conducting tests so that I can provide you with the best information possible.

Please stand by.
  • babj615 0 Points
    I ran several simulations tonight to verify the Oregon 6xx behavior.

Using BaseCamp, I created a TRACK around my neighborhood to simulate your river run track.

I also created more than a dozen waypoints along the track. None of the waypoints were placed precisely on the track, just close (<5 yds).

Some portions of the track had multiple waypoints between track points, while other portions of the track had multiple track points between waypoints.

I set my map screen dashboard to small data fields, and selected:
    Distance to Next
    Distance to Destination
    Time to Next
    Time to Destination

I selected [Where To?], chose my track, and selected [Go].

Walking the track to simulate your boat run down the river, my Distance to Next always displayed the distance to the next closest waypoint along the track. Each time I passed a waypoint by about 3-5 yds, the next closest waypoint along the track would be shown for Distance to Next.

Distance to Destination simply counted down the track distance as I moved along the path.

Even in sections where I had many track points between waypoints, the Distance to Next always showed distance to the next closest waypoint along the track, never to a track point.

I also ran a simulation identical, but without the waypoints, and never did the Oregon 6xx show Distance to Next for each track point, only for the destination.

Remove all older files, copy the GPX from yoour website directly to your Oregon 6xx\Garmin\GPX\ directory, and navigate your track. The waypoints loaded with that GPX should be used to display Distance to Next as you approach each of them.

http://garminoregon6xx.wikispaces.com/Data+Fields#x-Data Field Categories-Distance To Next
  • Boyd 1332 Points
    Nice job! Now all you have to do is tell Riverchase where he can send the check. :D
    I would gladly pay $ if I could get some help with this
  • babj615 0 Points
    Nice job! Now all you have to do is tell Riverchase where he can send the check. :D
    I would gladly pay $ if I could get some help with this
    Oh yeah... almost forgot!

The wiki has a donate button :)

http://garminoregon6xx.wikispaces.com/
  • Riverchase 0 Points
    I appreciate all your efforts - really - I just spoke with Garmin support line this monring and as it turns out, this feature cannot be done the way it was discussed. they said it will always show the distance to the next POINT not he next WAYPOINT the only way you can get the distance to the next WAYPOINT (or in my case "official checkpoint") is to go into the Waypoint Manager and then it will tell you how far you are from the next WAYPOINT (or in my case "official checkpoint") as it runs along the route - AMAZINGLY - they have no way to get that data onto the trip computer screen and when I talked with them this morning, they don't seem interested in making it an option even though it seems logical to me that this would be one of the most important pieces of data that a person would want displayed and since they already have the data in the waypoint manager, it would only require a modest software update to create a new display field using existing information. I appreciate your help, maybe this will give you guys a good topic to blog about and perhaps your blog can get the attention of one of the software developers at Garmin. LOL yes I will make a donation thanks again - your next mission......get the data on the trip computer screen
  • babj615 0 Points
    I appreciate all your efforts - really - I just spoke with Garmin support line this monring and as it turns out, this feature cannot be done the way it was discussed. they said it will always show the distance to the next POINT not he next WAYPOINT the only way you can get the distance to the next WAYPOINT (or in my case "official checkpoint") is to go into the Waypoint Manager and then it will tell you how far you are from the next WAYPOINT (or in my case "official checkpoint") as it runs along the route - AMAZINGLY - they have no way to get that data onto the trip computer screen and when I talked with them this morning, they don't seem interested in making it an option even though it seems logical to me that this would be one of the most important pieces of data that a person would want displayed and since they already have the data in the waypoint manager, it would only require a modest software update to create a new display field using existing information. I appreciate your help, maybe this will give you guys a good topic to blog about and perhaps your blog can get the attention of one of the software developers at Garmin. LOL yes I will make a donation thanks again - your next mission......get the data on the trip computer screen

Please re-read my post above. You will learn, as others have, that most of Garmin tech support know very little about their products.

It would be very easy for you to duplicate the same test I performed and then you can see for yourself... Consider it a learning exercise... This is how we all learn to use our toys :)
  • sussamb 230 Points
    If you need that sort of detail just select the first waypoint. When you reach that select the second, rinse and repeat.
  • Riverchase 0 Points
    edited May 2013
    see follow up with quote below
  • Riverchase 0 Points
    If you need that sort of detail just select the first waypoint. When you reach that select the second, rinse and repeat.

this wont work - this will only give you a direct point to point distance - it doesn't follow the track which is the river path and gives the actual distance to the next waypoint.
  • babj615 0 Points
    well....not so fast....I agree most phone support staff are limited in their expertise.

It may work with creating your own track on the 600 and then GOing back along your path to various waypoints, but that isn't what I am doing. I have an existing track that is over 260 miles long and with importing that data into the Oregon 600 GPS......it wont work. I would take great satisfaction in you proving me wrong.....and then explaining it to me so I can reproduce it because that it what I have been trying to do the whole time. you challenge is before you;-) go get em
    Sure, I like Texas :)

Fly me out, put me up, and I will train you to use your GPSr just as you desire.

The only difference between you following your track down the river with the waypoints accompanying the track and my exercise last night is the location of the track and waypoints.

It will function exactly as I described.
  • Riverchase 0 Points

Please re-read my post above. You will learn, as others have, that most of Garmin tech support know very little about their products.

It would be very easy for you to duplicate the same test I performed and then you can see for yourself... Consider it a learning exercise... This is how we all learn to use our toys :)
    well....not so fast....I agree most phone support staff are limited in their expertise.

It may work with creating your own track on the 600 and then GOing back along your path to various waypoints, but that isn't what I am doing. I have an existing track that is over 260 miles long and with importing that data into the Oregon 600 GPS......it wont work. I would take great satisfaction in you proving me wrong.....and then explaining it to me so I can reproduce it because that it what I have been trying to do the whole time. you challenge is before you;-) go get em
  • Riverchase 0 Points

Sure, I like Texas :)

Fly me out, put me up, and I will train you to use your GPSr just as you desire.

The only difference between you following your track down the river with the waypoints accompanying the track and my exercise last night is the location of the track and waypoints.

It will function exactly as I described.
    I wish I could fly you out to get this settled because I have done exactly what you are asking and it doesn't work, that's how we ended up here to begin with. it tells me the distance to the next point in the route not the next waypoint. Garmin support says that it WONT tell me the next waypoint distance along the track but will tell us the distance to the next point, and you say it wont. hmmm don't get me wrong, I believe you 100% that if I create my own track and mark waypoints, then it will tell me the distance to the next waypoint but I challenge you to do the same thing with a track GPX file that is many miles long, has lot of winding turns and is imported. THAT is the one that wont work as you claim - go and do that and then lets see what you come up with.
  • babj615 0 Points
    In this image taken from my Oregon 650t, you can see a zig-zag track I am navigating with waypoints placed at random locations. Waypoint 'WP T02' is visible ahead, around a couple more turns and bends in the track.

The small data field dashboard is also visible, with 'Distance to Next', 'Distance to Destination' and 'Next Point' selected.

You can clearly see the 'Next Point' is actually the next closest waypoint near the track I am navigating (in this case, 'WP T02'), and the 'Distance to Next' is showing the distance from my location to that waypoint, and not any of the multiple track points between my current location and the waypoint.

Each of my waypoints were automatically selected as 'Next Point' once I passed them while navigating the track, and 'Distance to Next' always displayed the distance between my current location and the selected waypoint.

NEVER did the Oregon 650t display 'Distance to Next' using any of the track points. When I removed the waypoints along the track, 'Distance to Next' was always identical to 'Distance to Destination'.

• Riverchase 0 Points
    thanks for sharing that - I think we are getting warmer to a conclusion! a couple questions arise to be certain of it

1. how did you remove the "trackpoints"? I have over 2000 + track points in my race course and the best way to do this is in Basecamp - di d you use basecamp? if so, then how did you prevent the track from snapping into a straight line form waypoint to waypoint.
    2. I believe that most likely, the distance to NEXT is showing the b-line from where you are to the next waypoint, not the actual distance of the route track. how can we compare to be certain?
  • Riverchase 0 Points
    Actually I think I just answered one of the questions I just posed - looking at your screen shot and measuring it using the distance ruler at the top, the actual track route would be approx' 23 yards which is 23x3=69 feet so the distance to NEXT shown on your trip computer as 24 feet is a B line form you to the waypoint. :-(
  • Riverchase 0 Points
    That indicates that your efforts were unfortunately in error and we still don't have a way to tell what the distance is to the NEXT waypoint as we travel along the track.

Here's the exercise to establish what we are attempting to do: begin make a square track in your backyard putting a waypoint at the start of the track. then travel out 100 feet straight, turn left and travel 100 feet, turn left and travel 100 feet again and then turn left and travel 80 feet and stop. put a 2nd waypoint at the end of the track. you have now made a track 380 long although the two waypoints are only 20 feet apart. remove all the trackpoints and ten look to see what the distance to the NEXT waypoint is. I believe that it will say that the distance to NEXT is 20 feet. what I want it to say is that the distance to NEXT is 380 feet as it is measured along the track route.

let me know what you find