Moving Map contents to the Micro SDHD card

First, is this a good idea and if so how do you do it?
I know that when I upgrade to new map it will tell you there may not be enough space and gives you options to free up space or install to memory SD card but is there a way when you already downloaded the latest maps. I have tried re-downloading and installing the present map version and you get no options that I can see to do this.

I know from past experience adding new POI's can take up some real estate. What I cannot remember as it has been over 5 years and on a Garmin we no longer have if you put things on the memory card will the Garmin see and use them automatically???
Thanks for your help.

Comments

• t923347 208 Points
    If you put the POI's on an SD card, using Garmin's POIloader software, the Nuvi will find them and ask if you want to install them on your device. You can say NO and ask that the device not ask you again. From then on it should simply use them directly from the SD card.

I don't have a Nuvi that will not hold the full map update so I'm not really sure about what options you have putting them on an SD card when using a redownload of a current map version. I can thing of one way using Garmin's Mapupdater and Garmin's MapInstall software but hesitate to detail it as I'm never actually used this process. On the other hand the new version of the maps (2014.10) is due out any day now (actually overdue) so I wouldn't worry about it as you'll soon have the opportunity to download new maps, and the update process will offer to put them on an SD card and you'll be all set.
  • If you put the POI's on an SD card, using Garmin's POIloader software, the Nuvi will find them and ask if you want to install them on your device. You can say NO and ask that the device not ask you again. From then on it should simply use them directly from the SD card.

I don't have a Nuvi that will not hold the full map update so I'm not really sure about what options you have putting them on an SD card when using a redownload of a current map version. I can thing of one way using Garmin's Mapupdater and Garmin's MapInstall software but hesitate to detail it as I'm never actually used this process. On the other hand the new version of the maps (2014.10) is due out any day now (actually overdue) so I wouldn't worry about it as you'll soon have the opportunity to download new maps, and the update process will offer to put them on an SD card and you'll be all set.
    Good information about the POI's and the 2014.10 updated map. I will wait. Thanks
  • On the other hand the new version of the maps (2014.10) is due out any day now (actually overdue) so I wouldn't worry about it as you'll soon have the opportunity to download new maps, and the update process will offer to put them on an SD card and you'll be all set.
    Does anyone know approximately when the 2014 maps will be available? My son comes home for 2 weeks July 1-14 from Scott AFB and will soon be moving to another base so we will be updating his Garmin (has 2011 map) on his Nuvi 1350LMT.

Also, I was just checking mine and been very happy but today I had it take me to Guitar Center in Arlington that I am very familiar with. Mind you I know they don't always take as good a route as someone very familiar with the area would but they do get you there but today's trip was from the (twilight zone for those who remember that old show). First it told me to turn right at a street with a virtual dead end (loops in a circle at the end) without naming the street and only showed about 500 or so feet of road. I ignored it and when I went past it routed me to a way I have have been but it just made this weird circle around the store and took you too other streets and back so I past that one up to take the next right turn at a traffic light and go 50 feet and turn right into the Guitar Center parking lot, HOWEVER it didn't even know the entrance was there and wanted to route me straight past it turning at the next street about a 1/4 mile down the road and loop me back around to the other entrance it originally tried to take me but this time didn't have the weird loop that just circled the store but not entering the parking lot. I reported it and like I said, I do not mind a different route as long as it is not a tangent.,
  • t923347 208 Points
    No one, other than the guy who throws the switch at Garmin, knows what day the maps will be released. :)
  • No one, other than the guy who throws the switch at Garmin, knows what day the maps will be released. :)

Thank you, that is what I figured but thought I would ask.
  • popej 57 Points
    I'm afraid this man was fired a month ago ;)
  • Boyd 1332 Points
    :lol:
  • t923347 208 Points
    If he was they have hired a replacement already as the update has just been released. :lol:
  • Well we are in trouble then ;)