The 'Mark Viewed' options have been temporarily disabled due to a performance issue.

The Famous TT1lE vs. the unknown Nextar X4-T

Adamquestion 0 Points
edited November -1 in GPS Recommendations
I thought I'd compare the two while it's fresh in memory.
The TT1LE has a 3.5" versus a 4.3". The Nextar's 4.3" I like because it's mostly map, sort of like browsing an atlas. This is a throwback to my using an atlas or map for getting around. Also the Nextar opens to a map immediately and goes into a good browse mode with a tap. The browse mode of the TT1LE is not so good. Am I doing something wrong. It's very jerky and it's difficult to browse or pan a good portion of the map.

The TT1LE uses 7.05 map and TeleAtlas. I can update to a version newer by a month or so. 7.10. So far it's been a problem updating. If I were not well-versed in computers, it would be daunting the steps I have to undertake to update. The Nextar uses Navteq. For where I am, north of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, near the Poconos Mountains, so far, Navteq shows more roads and has fewer mistakes. I have had the devices a short time, almost 2 weeks at most. Each time I use the TT1LE I find a major road mistake which I doubt a minor map update will fix. Now this is what I have experienced so don't shoot the messenger. ;)

The fonts on the TT1LE are terrific, nice and big. The Nextar's are too small so I can't read the side roads easily. The Nextar shows the side roads quicker than the TT1LE and has the extra room to show more side roads. The TT1LE is very good for the immediate road up ahead and can't really zing in on secondary roads.

The TTS of the Nextar is all that the TT1LE can do and then some. Not only do I hear the names of the streets, it's far more information and more of it. I hear turn in a 1/4 mile to Spring Street. The TT1LE tends to give 2 instructions, one before and one right at the turn which is annoying. The Nextar gives a little beep also when the exact moment for turning is there, but the instruction is given in advance, not right at the turn.

The Nextar does altitude and seems to have one more satellite in its grasp than the TT1lE.

The TT1LE is far more configurable and can be programmed and hacked. The Nextar will have nothing more, this is it, probably no updates, no nothing in the future.

I like the TT1LE because it is bright and easy to read. But I like the Nextar because the info is there, more of it for just pure map reading and more accurate.

The battery life seems to be about the same 1 1/2 hours on both. The Nextar is supposed to have 6 hours, I figure with the screen off it's 6 hours :)

I like them both. I have yet to test them as GPS to unknown destinations which is the real test. But for fun value, they both are fun to use simultaneously, like having 2 movie screens. The TT1LE gives me a clear easy to view macro mode. The Nextar gives me the big picture and a joy to see where I'm at, if I use my glasses.

Which one should I keep? Or get a third model that has the best features of both? I am inclining to Navteq, big fonts, TTS, wide screen - it's prosaic but I think that's where I'm headed.

:evil:

Comments

• While the Nextar might list some great features, getting them to actually work is another thing entirely.

I received the first unit as a Christmas gift from my wife. She was getting worried that I'd wreck my car using my Treo 700 with Google mobile maps.

Unit No.1: Dec 25th, 2007 Christmas Day. Didn't work out of the box! Couldn't find the maps on the SD card. The card had the maps. I copied them to a 2nd SD card thinking it might help. Apparently, the card reader in the GPS unit was bad. Dec 26th - Thanks K-Mart for exchanging the unit. Although the exchange amount listed on my exchange receipt is now $25 less than the original purchase price~

Unit No.2:
    Tested at K-Mart's counter to make sure it could read the maps. Great! This unit worked for about 2 weeks while I drove around town and took the family to our annual Ski Santa Fe Christmas trip. Surprisingly it actualy found a shortcut through town to the ski resort that was faster than my tried and true shortcut of 10 years.

Loved the unit with the following exceptions:

1) Turns were being called out too slow. Driving at 20mph it was routinely 200-300 ft short of the turn. I passed them often, but I might get used to it. It was calling for a turn in 500 ft when it was only 200 ft away (I measured).

2) Maps were old, really old. I have an off-ramp near my home that was completed over 18 months ago that's not listed on the Nextar map. I'm finding several old map problems. Called Nextar - It's a map they purchased in 2006! There will be NO free upgrades no matter how new your X4-T is! All map updates will be available for PURCHASE ONLY! At at this time there are no map upgrades available. Get with the program Nextar

3) Jan 7th - Turned on the unit to drive to a job site this morning - Nothing! Screen was white and purple with lines. Called Nextar and they suggested "a bad batch" of units might have been delivered to the seller. They told me to exchange it again at the reseller's.

Unit No.3:
    Thanks again K-Mart! No hassel exchange. The also said that since I don't have the original purchase receipt, I can bring in the credit card statement if I ever need to get a refund for the full original price. We'll see how this one works. I've lost all my old waypoints of course since these units apparently can't download the saved user data to a PC. What good is the USB cable? If this one tanks, I'm getting a refund and going with another brand.
  • What good is the USB cable? If this one tanks, I'm getting a refund and going with another brand.
    As long as they break, you can get a refund or something. My local K-Mart threatened to not refund but a store credit if wear and tear. We'll see what happens but I got the impression they don't like refunding. Exchanging is okay.

About the USB cord, it's a disappointment that there are no drivers so the unit cannot communicate with the PC. I can't even load music files.

I use USB to charge the unit but it charges extremely slowly for me on the PC, takes a full day to charge the unit via the USB cord.

About the slowness of your unit. I am trying to remember if I encountered that to and just went to a 2-D map which is probably less CPU intensive.

I did buy a Sandisk 2 GB card. The unit has a Sandisk 1 GB card. Bad techs, maybe reliefs for those on vacation?, told me I could not copy and use another card. I did it anyway so now have music and a backup. The last tech I talked to wanted to know about the wrong comments of the previous techs. I suspect they were managers or marketing types filling in.

Mine works okay for 1 month now. The browse map mode seems touchy. But if I tap just right, I can go into browse mode. I cannot select a point of navigation in browse mode as I can do with the TT1.
  • Ballyshannon 0 Points
    edited January 2008
    I've been using the Nextar for about a week now and the battery fully charges very quickly, as well as providing decent run time. Maps are 2007 and include new subdivisions that were constructed only a little over a year ago. Signal acquisition is quick, even from a cold start and easily secures a strong signal in my house. I've been comparing it with my Mio c230 and have found the following:

One thing I don't like about the Nextar is it doesn't provide the ability to see an entered route on screen from point A to point B (complete route) like I can with the Mio. This feature has become invaluable to quickly view a route and visually see if it'll take me out of the way, not use Interstates I want to use, etc. Can't do this on the Nextar unless I'm missing something. The only way to check a route is via the text directions. The Fit to Screen route view on the Mio is great because you can zoom out and see the route in relation to surrounding areas, check random A-B routing when checking a route not associated with your current position, or compare routing with Yahoo or Google maps.

The Mio is MUCH better at announcing maneuvers in advance, especially when nearing a destination.

The Mio's screen is MUCH easier to see in bright sunlight. Side-by-side, the Nextar completely washed out to a point where I couldn't see the route or any entry buttons....basically blank. I tried different angles and different backlighting settings but didn't help. The Mio's display was still very visible in the same lighting at any angle and although not as bright as a Garmin Nuvi 260, it's still very good.

I agree the font size is too small/not bold enough at the bottom of the screen on the Nextar, especially for people like me who need reading glasses but certainly can't drive with them. I see fine at a distance but have to really squint to read the information and often can't make it out on the Nextar. The info on the Mio is easier to read for me due to the bolder font and better display.

The Mio's TTS is much clearer and louder with more accurate, natural pronunciations. No contest here.

I do like the volume control on the side of the Nextar.

I like the fact that the Nextar allows the deletion of single items in the Recent list. With the Mio, you only have the option to delete all.

I couldn't figure out how to do random A-B routing on the Nextar, which actually wouldn't do much good anyway since you can't view the whole route on screen.

The position indicator on the Nextar seemed to lag a bit when passing side roads, entering ramps, intersections, etc, while the Mio is always dead-on.

The Nextar's mount is awful. The ball-and-socket design creaks when driving and it's just poorly designed and made. The Mio's mount is German designed and made, and is very solid.

Overall, the Nextar is a decent GPS but not worth the $ so I'll be returning it. It can't begin to compete with the Mio c230 that I paid $150 for and has MANY more useful features.
  • I've been using the Nextar for about a week now and the battery fully charges very quickly, as well as providing decent run time. Maps are 2007 and include new subdivisions that were constructed only a little over a year ago.

One thing I don't like about the Nextar is it doesn't provide the ability to see an entered route on screen from point A to point B like I can with the Mio. This feature has become invaluable to quickly view a route and visually see if it'll take me out of the way, not use Interstates I want to use, etc. Can't do this on the Nextar unless I'm missing something. The only way to check a route is via the text directions.

The Mio's screen is MUCH easier to see in bright sunlight. Side-by-side, the Nextar completely washed out to a point where I couldn't see the route or any entry buttons....basically blank. I tried different angles and different backlighting settings but didn't help. The Mio's display was still very visible in the same lighting at any angle and although not as bright as a Garmin Nuvi 260, it's still very good.

The Nextar's mount is awful. The ball-and-socket design creaks when driving and it's just poorly designed and made. The Mio's mount is German designed and made, and is very solid.

I find the battery on the Nextar self-discharges like a NiMH does. It will discharge in a week all by itself. Maybe my unit is defective.

I too liked the maps but although they 2007, I think they are from 2006. So how can they know of a new development? Maybe the developer made sure? I noticed that too. But the MIO has TeleAtlas. Did you notice any lack of accuracy or mistakes comparing the Mio to the Nextar? This is what bugs me about the TT1LE comparing it to the Nextar. The TT just is not as accurate in my area.

About showing the route. Are you sure? When you look at the text description of the route, there is a MAP button. If you press that, a map comes up with that portion of the route. But the map is in BROWSE mode. If you tap and move, most times, the map will move as it should in Browse mode and you can trace your route. Also there is an - and + buttons to make the map bigger and smaller. It is not as spiffy as others, but it does show the route and allows you to drag on the map, most of the times. Sometimes it's difficult to get the Browse map browsing along as you trace and try to pull the map to see what is beyond the screen.

Nice review.
  • I find the battery on the Nextar self-discharges like a NiMH does. It will discharge in a week all by itself. Maybe my unit is defective.

I too liked the maps but although they 2007, I think they are from 2006. So how can they know of a new development? Maybe the developer made sure? I noticed that too. But the MIO has TeleAtlas. Did you notice any lack of accuracy or mistakes comparing the Mio to the Nextar? This is what bugs me about the TT1LE comparing it to the Nextar. The TT just is not as accurate in my area.

About showing the route. Are you sure? When you look at the text description of the route, there is a MAP button. If you press that, a map comes up with that portion of the route. But the map is in BROWSE mode. If you tap and move, most times, the map will move as it should in Browse mode and you can trace your route. Also there is an - and + buttons to make the map bigger and smaller. It is not as spiffy as others, but it does show the route and allows you to drag on the map, most of the times. Sometimes it's difficult to get the Browse map browsing along as you trace and try to pull the map to see what is beyond the screen.

Nice review.
    Thanks.

I didn't notice any particular street inaccuracies in the Nextar and it basically did a good job of routing, but as I said, the positioning of the Mio is more accurate and basically dead-on. I did notice when using the Nextar's 3D mode, the street names are positioned on top of the streets and can be difficult to read so I always used the 2D mode that positions street names beside the streets and easier to read. No problem with reading street names on the Mio in 3D mode.

What I mean about not showing the route is not showing the COMPLETE route in one shot on the screen. When I enter a route on the Mio, I can use the Fit to Screen mode to view the complete route from A to B highlighted in deep bright orange. For example, if I plan a route from here in Madison, AL to my brother's house in Dalton, GA, I can see the exact route from here to there on the screen, including the state borders of AL, TN, and GA. It's like looking at a small Yahoo or Google map. This is an invaluable feature. I can quickly see that it's taking I-565E from here, becoming Hwy 72E to I-24 through Chattanooga, to I-75 S, and on to Dalton without having to go through the text directions. Then if I want to see part of the route closer, just zoom in and drag the map using my finger. As you point out, the Nextar can display a portion of a route when you select Map, but not the whole route from A to B. If a route doesn't look right, I use a different routing method and check it again. So it has a lot of control over routing.

It can also do random A to B routing, which the Nextar can't. If I want to check a route from point A to point B in another state or between several other states, the c230 can do it. As an example, if I'm sitting here in my home in Madsion, AL and want to check the best route between my brother's house in Dalton and Atlanta....no problem. I simply use his address as the starting point, enter either a specific address in Atlanta or just use City Center and hit Route, and I can see it. The auto recalculation feature has to be turned off in order to do random A to B routing. Even though I'll be returning the Nextar tomorrow, if anyone has found a way to do random A to B routing, I'd still be curious to see how it can be done.
  • Even though I'll be returning the Nextar tomorrow, if anyone has found a way to do random A to B routing, I'd still be curious to see how it can be done.
    Let me or we or us know if K-Mart gives you grief when you return the device? My local K-Mart's manager has been foreshadowing with wear and tear threats.

About the A-B, excellent observation. Without even trying because it's a hassle inside, I wonder if setting an waypoint or additional destination(s) will finesse the operation? Or adding to the route? It's a kludge and if trying to set these things up were not such a pain I would try it before just throwing out the unsampled thought.
  • Let me or we or us know if K-Mart gives you grief when you return the device? My local K-Mart's manager has been foreshadowing with wear and tear threats.

About the A-B, excellent observation. Without even trying because it's a hassle inside, I wonder if setting an waypoint or additional destination(s) will finesse the operation? Or adding to the route? It's a kludge and if trying to set these things up were not such a pain I would try it before just throwing out the unsampled thought.
    Absolutely no problem at K-Mart. The returns manager happened to be manning the counter and didn't even look inside the box to make sure everything was there, which really surprised me. In sharp contrast, our local Wal-Marts check EVERYTHING on returns.

Regarding random A-B routing on the Nextar, since you can't disable auto route recalculation (I didn't find any setting for this), it will always route from your current position....meaning your current position will theoretically always be point A. And don't forget the Nextar can't show the whole route anyway, so adding a waypoint to facilitate A-B routing would do no good because you wouldn't be able to view it without resorting to zooming and dragging the map. You also wouldn't get necessary info like distance, ETA, driving time, etc.

My Mio c230 can't do random A-B routing either with auto route recalculation enabled. It has to be turned off and you can't do that with the Nextar.