This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Garmin 2555 not cutting it.......

novaks47 0 Points
edited November -1 in GPS Recommendations
A few months ago I got a refurbished Garmin 2555LM. It functions as it should, however, it chooses the worst routes imaginable! For some reason, it always chooses congested city streets, as opposed to freeways that parallel said streets. I live in the mountains, and for another example, it will send me the most round-about ways to the cities. I usually spend ages creating custom avoidance's, only to have it stubbornly try to route me around the avoidance, and put me back on the original course, regardless of mileage. I've tried all the settings, to no avail.

What I do like about the unit :
Screen size is fine.
Display speed and resolution is fine.
I love how it shows what lane I need to be in on the freeways. Very handy!

What I don't like :
Terrible, convoluted, useless routing 99% of the time.

Now, I bought a GPS specifically for it's routing capabilities, as I'm sure most everyone else does. This one fails in that category. So, it's time to sell it and get a different model. Now my question is, which one? I'm looking for one that is similar in size, and gives better routes than the Garmin. I don't care about voice commands, Bluetooth, or other frills. Now, the "correct lane" feature would be nice, even if it's a simple voice command from the unit, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker if it didn't. So, TomTom, Magellan, other? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Zemartelo 207 Points
    Did you try to disable trafic trends in the traffic settings.
    That feature can create crazy routes when activated.
  • novaks47 0 Points
    I must have missed that one, didn't know it had that. I'll try it out when I get home. Thank you!
  • novaks47 0 Points
    Ok, as it turns out, I already had that feature turned off. :(

I'm thinking about the TomTom VIA series. How are those units?
  • Zemartelo 207 Points
    Can you post coordinates for a starting point and an end point where it creates a whacky route and I will simulate it on mine to see if get the same result?
  • novaks47 0 Points
    Yep, sure can. And thank you again!

Just try putting in Pescadero, CA ---> Hollister, CA

Now, the wise way to go is, Pescadero Creek Rd --> 84 --> Sand Hill Rd. --> 280 --> 101 --> Hollister. Or even 280 --> 85 --> 101 --> Hollister would work. But it tries to route me to HWY 1, and from there it takes me onto HWY 17 --> 85 --> 101. Which is insane! It's taking a 1 hour-ish drive, to at least 2 hours! Even if I choose travel time as a priority, it chooses the same dang route. lol Let me know what yours shows. Also, if yours chooses a different route, what does that mean for my unit?
  • Zemartelo 207 Points
    Quite a route you got there...
    On my GPS from Pescadero creek rd, ca it tells me a 1h55min drive
    Looking at the map it does seem to be most logical drive.
    Even google gives the same result.

• novaks47 0 Points
    It does make sense on paper, but reality is different. HWY 1 is always slow going. And HWY 17? During the week it's slower than most surface streets. the other route it gives me, like going down HWY 9 through Saratoga, is equally bad. I've driven the first route, and 2 hours is fairly accurate, if a bit low. The second route is about the same. HWY 9 is great, if you like sitting behind cyclists and never exceeding 25mph. The way I like to go however, is a little over an hour, and that's obeying the speed limit the whole way, and taking it nice and mellow in the twisties. I went my way to Hollister when I bought my truck, and I was surprised at how little time it took to get there.

The other route that it gives, that is nuts during rush hour, is going from Santa Clara, to Pescadero. It tries to route me to 85, then to 17. Crazy! Going home from work, that would take me 2-3 hours! Where as my route, takes about 1.5hrs, depending on traffic/accidents, and the other usual variables.

So, maybe for the mountainous areas around here this thing is not so great, but I guess I'll keep it for now, and plan accordingly. I can still punch in my destination, and ignore the re-routing, and just pay attention to it once near my destination. Thanks again for your help!
  • Zemartelo 207 Points
    Are any of the roads dirt road or unpaved?
    If you have them as an avoidance the gps will route around them.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Since the issues you mention are related to traffic volume and average travel time, you might want to enable trafficTrends and see what the effect is. It uses historical traffic flow data when calculating routes, based on the time and day of the week.

I have not used this feature for a couple years, and it was pretty bad back then, but it may have improved now with the addition of more traffic flow history.

Also myTrends (if your device supports it) is a feature that's supposed to learn your own preferred routes. You must be routing to a favorite for it to work however and I believe it needs some time to "learn". Again, it didn't work very well at all a couple years ago but may have improved now.

Although my experience with these was not so good, they were both intended to address the kinds of issues you seem to be having. So it's at least worth a try. :)
  • Zemartelo 207 Points
    I had traffictrends on when I took that screenshot.
    So Im pretty certain that theres unpaved roads that prevent the nuvi to route OP's preferred route.

Im going to play with my Nuvi again. LOL
  • Zemartelo 207 Points
    No change in results.

The only thing I can think of as the probable cause is the roads speed limits are incorrect but even the shorter route doesnt change the route much.

I will leave it to the professionals here to crack this one. LOL
  • novaks47 0 Points
    Nope, the only unpaved roads are on private property, off of the main roads. I think it all boils down to bad data in = bad data out. The traffic models are probably way off(for all GPS units and map routing software), so you get what you get. If even Google Maps shows the same routes, then it's no fault of the GPS manufactures.

And the speed limits could be factoring in too. There is a section of Pescadero Creed Rd. that is 25mph, but nobody, not even the big fire engines go that slow in that section. lol Even then, I'm talking a section that's 1 mile in length, max.

I'll try TrafficTrends, and see what happens. In retrospect, it's still a useful device, and it not knowing these rural roads should not come as a surprise, especially as there is no traffic data. I'm still miffed that it tries to send me on the worst highways though. I thought about it more, and HWY 1 :arrow: 17 :arrow: 101 is at least 2 hours, just for that section. Oh well. :)