CNNA 2013.4 - Can you route thru Roswel, New Mexico?

CNNA 2013.4 - Can you route thru Roswel, New Mexico?

Very interesting. Give it a try. I'd like to hear results.

Comments

• t923347 214 Points
    I can route through it. Set my start location as Carlsbad and my end as Encino, NM and the Nuvi will route on 285 right through the middle of Roswell. Granted I'm using 2014.10 maps.

If your having a problem maybe it's that your not spelling Roswell correctly.
  • Boyd 1352 Points
    I have CNNA 2013.40 and did a Find for Roswell in Mapsource. Trying to create a route through Roswell, Mapsource crashed. I tried again and Mapsource crashed when I just zoomed out on Roswell without trying to create a route.

I think this is the same issue discussed here.

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?32445-MapSource-Crashes-Frequently-with-CNNANT2013-30-maps

Using Basecamp I was able to create a two point route from Picacho through Roswell to Caprock on Rt 380 without issue.

I no longer have a current Nuvi to try the same thing on.
  • It's apparently unique to 2013.4

I think a programmer is having a bit of fun with the history of Roswell.

How did you get 2014.10? I have lifetime maps, which was automatically "updated" to 2013.4 two days ago.
  • Boyd 1352 Points
    Can you let us in on the joke? What exactly did you try and what happened?
  • t923347 214 Points
    It's apparently unique to 2013.4

I think a programmer is having a bit of fun with the history of Roswell.

How did you get 2014.10? I have lifetime maps, which was automatically "updated" to 2013.4 two days ago.

Since 2014.10 came out late last week and I don't know of any way you can "automatically" update the maps, I agree with Boyd, could you let us in on the joke?
  • Mapsource crashes whenever cursor gets near Roswell. I've approached Roswell from all directions, with either magnifying cursor or routing cursor, and Mapsource crashes EVERY time. It then offered a form to submit an error report. This has happened ~ 20 times.

I haven't tried while wearing my aluminum foil hat.
  • Boyd 1352 Points
    I see you have joined the thread I linked to on Garmin's Mapsource forum. This has nothing to do with Roswell or programmers having fun. Mapsource crashes in a number of situations and locations with recent versions of City Navigator. It is being reported by EU users as well, so it's not a North America issue.

Mapsource was discontinued about 2 years ago and is no longer maintained. I guess this is Garmin's way of weaning everybody off it; making it unusable with the current City Navigator maps.
  • I do not get why he can't download and install 2014.10 maps from Garmin using Garmin Express or Webupdater???
  • That's odd.

I constructed a route from Green Valley, AZ to Howell, MI ... a length of nearly 2,000 miles. No problems at any other location.
  • I have same issue as Bubbalou88
  • Boyd 1352 Points
    No problems at any other location.
    This has been documented multiple times. From Garmin's forum...
    SHELL222 says:
    CNAM crashes too in MS :try a route from Bristol TN (N36 35.516 W82 13.276) to Shady Valley TN (N36 31.122 W81 55.692)
    I can reproduce this Mapsource crash with 2013.40 CNNA.
  • Boyd do any of you know if Map Source will at least allow me to add waypoints to my 2555 without causing a problem?
  • sussamb 255 Points
    Basecamp will allow you just to add waypoints. To use Mapsource you will need to set your 2555 to mass storage mode. To do that:

1. Start NUVI by itself and go to Volume Screen.
    2. Press the upper right hand corner of screen for 10 seconds.
    3. The Developers Screen will pop up
    4. Scroll down to MTP SETTINGS
    5. Change from AUTO DETECT to MASS STORAGE
    6. Shut down NUVI and hookup to Computer USB cable
    7. Start NUVI and it should recognize it is hooked up to the computer.

As an alternative to step 1 above, you can bring up the Nuvi's "dashboard" screen, then press and hold the speedometer for about 10 seconds to access the developer screen.
  • Basecamp will allow you just to add waypoints. To use Mapsource you will need to set your 2555 to mass storage mode. To do that:

1. Start NUVI by itself and go to Volume Screen.
    2. Press the upper right hand corner of screen for 10 seconds.
    3. The Developers Screen will pop up
    4. Scroll down to MTP SETTINGS
    5. Change from AUTO DETECT to MASS STORAGE
    6. Shut down NUVI and hookup to Computer USB cable
    7. Start NUVI and it should recognize it is hooked up to the computer.

As an alternative to step 1 above, you can bring up the Nuvi's "dashboard" screen, then press and hold the speedometer for about 10 seconds to access the developer screen.
    Ok, would you suggest Basecamp as an easier way to do what I want or is there something in Mapsource you like using?
  • sussamb 255 Points
    I prefer Basecamp although it took me a while to make the switch from Mapsource.
  • Boyd 1352 Points
    If you're new to this then Basecamp is probably the best option. But it has some disadvantages. Unlike Mapsource, it uses a database that includes all the data you have ever entered into it. So - particularly if you use satellite imagery (Birdseye) on a handheld device - it can take a long time to start and quit. I find this very annoying, but it shouldn't be an issue if you only have a Nuvi.
  • Thank you sussamb and Boyd. I will give Base Camp a try then. I have downloaded and installed Base Camp. I will read about using it and will probably have questions later on.