This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Android based Nuvi 3595r with wifi, HDMI, Google Play

Garmin certainly makes some interesting products for the Asian market. Just noticed this model which is available in Taiwan:

http://www.garmin.com.tw/products/ontheroad/nuvi3595r

Video here:

Google translation of the product page:

nüvi 3595 High-Definition Multimedia TV Navigator
nüvi 3595 series GPS satellite navigation devices, integrated Garmin professional car navigation, high-definition digital TV / video playback capabilities, combined with Wi-Fi wireless networking and open operating system platform, allowing GPS satellite navigation is no longer just a simple navigation guidelines, but the new life experience, allowing users incarnation professional tour players.

Intuitive user-friendly interface
New generation evolution pilot navigation interface, with customized search order, as well as Intelligent routes Attractions Tip feature that allows users to "go where?" Easy road now!

3D display mode label points of interest
Navigation map screen will automatically display information on points of interest along the way, will depend navigation, non-navigation and the current time in different states, wisdom out the appropriate information on the contents of attractions. Points of interest are rendered in 3D labels, so indicators more clearly visualized.

Colloquial smart voice search
The new voice voice function evolution, extending interactive mode of operation, and to strengthen the address search capabilities, with full address sentence recognition ability, can provide users a more intuitive voice-activated navigation experience!

HDTV high-definition digital TV
Built-in high-sensitivity high-quality mobile digital TV function, providing a full range of audio and video enjoyment, and supports video playback function, a digital TV at the same time, the navigation voice is still sustainable playback.

Multimedia player
nüvi 3595 is the section with the perfect combination of audio and video playback capabilities for GPS navigator, you can play a variety of mainstream machine file formats, providing both a new entertainment experience.

HDMI high-definition video and audio output
Built-in HDMI output terminal for connecting high-definition screen, high-definition video and audio output content to share with friends and family to watch.

Value-added services
Garmin content Download Center

MyGarmin integration services, provide users with free connected to the computer operating experience, support automatic product registration, proactive notification software / Garmin map update information, and exclusive bonus content.

Light travel journey planner

Garmin launched run light travel planning, to provide users around the selection of recommended travel itinerary, it is recommended not only can run directly into the view, but also freely adjusted according to personal preference.

Wireless networking applications
Built-in Wi-Fi wireless networking capabilities, mobile network sharing via mobile phone, or link Hot Spot hotspots for Internet browsing operations.

Google play
Download via Google play hundreds of thousands of applications and a variety of popular games in the leisure time to spend time using the navigation system, which can meet all users' needs and preferences.

Tachograph
Integrated driving video recording capabilities, providing a reducing emergency scene View by; User can be viewed directly on the machine has been recorded files, or with PC management software to view, and then upgrade to road safety.

Comments

• Garmin certainly makes some interesting products for the Asian market. Just noticed this model which is available in Taiwan:
    They sure do.

This model has been around over there for quite some time. I guess the models with built-in TV receivers will never make it to the US market due to varying motor vehicle regulations prohibiting video screens in the front seats of a car:

http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/laws/telematics/

On the other hand, the Asian models do have some nifty features that I wish Garmin would implement in the US/European markets, such as, displaying the next three freeway exits, displaying the name of the street that you are on at the bottom center (available on the yr-2013 model)...
  • SergZak 340 Points
    I wonder why they get so many features over there as well...maybe the Asian market is considered a higher intelligence level than the US market. Seems like the nuvi line is much less dumbed-down over there. I feel really dumb now. :lol:
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    It's a puzzlement... Garmin must think we are dumb over here. They probably have some kind of market research to prove it. :lol: Really, if you live in Australia you get to turn off auto-zoom on your Nuvi but it is forbidden in the US.

Somewhere I read that you could enable the video player on the US Nuvi 3590 (maybe other things too) by changing some .xml in a config file. Evidently this only worked in the early versions of the firmware however.
  • It is conceivable that Garmin uses Asia to test market new ideas. However, Asia typically get the new products later than the US/EU/Australia and not all products are marketed over there.

And just to make us salivate, Garmin has a true life-time free part and labor replacement warranty in Taiwan, practically no questions asked, even though the officially published warranty period is one year. I think it is because one of the founders of Garmin is from Taiwan.
  • SergZak 340 Points
    Garmin has a true life-time free part and labor replacement warranty in Taiwan, practically no questions asked, even though the officially published warranty period is one year. I think it is because one of the founders of Garmin is from Taiwan.
    Forget SoCal, I'm moving to Taiwan! For some reason though, I doubt my limited Russian will help me very much over there. :P
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Actually this product is a bit redundant. I believe they also have StreetPilot for Android over there (it is available in some countries but not the US). So you could just install that on your phone and get all the same features plus telephony.

Maybe Garmin just felt the need to put their Android code to work? This device is a lot like a big NuviFone (or was it GarminFone?), which was also Android based. One version of that hardware ended up being blown out very cheaply on Amazon as the Nuvi 295w here in the US, although I think it was just Linux as opposed to Android.

And they are evidently planning to introduce an Android based handheld (the Monterra) soon, possibly later this summer. It will be interesting to see if that unit has more advanced highway features than the Montana (such as traffic, junction view, etc).
  • SergZak 340 Points
    Hopefully, the Monterra will at least be equal to or 1/2 better than the Montana since it seems to have inherited 1/2 the name. :wink:
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Too bad that Ricardo Montalban is no longer with us. He could do a great commercial for it... "How do you like my new Monterra with its rich Android interface?".

Looks like it is also going to cost half again as much as the Montana.