This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

GPS suggestions/number of channels questions

jjohnston 0 Points
edited November -1 in GPS Discussions
I have been thinking of getting a new GPS. I currently have a Garmin nuvi 1390t.

My first GPS was a Navigon 2100. For some reason I really liked that one. It seemed very accurate. My Garmin is good, but it doesn't seem as accurate. it shows me on the wrong road more often, or driving in the ocean etc...

The Navigon based on what I've found had 20 channels, where my Garmin has only 12. I contacted Garmin support and found their GPS with the most channels only has 14.

Is having almost half the number of channels probably the reason for the big differences? are there other GPS devices that have 20?

I was considering the nuvi 3597, but it is the one with still only 14 channels. Maybe I'm just stuck on the wrong spec...?

Anyway, any suggestions and incite is appreciated.

Comments

• sussamb 798 Points
    Well I'm surprised that you're getting those sorts of inaccuracies. I have both a 1310 and 1490 and both are accurate. Was your 1390 always like that? If not then it might benefit from a hard reset

The number of channels really shouldn't be an issue.
  • jjohnston 0 Points
    Yeah, its been like that since I got it. the other thing I noticed with it is, the Navigon was Dead on with the speed when I would pass one of those radar "your speed is" signs on the highway, but the Garmin is about 2mph off, sometimes 1, but usually 2.

But to your point, it has never been hard reset, and the Navigon needed that a few times. Maybe I'll try a hard reset and see what happens. I also haven't updated firmware on it ever...
  • sussamb 798 Points
    Well that will be worth it, later firmware is far more stable/better than the original :wink:
  • Boyd 1974 Points
    Never really saw those kinds of problems with the 1350 I had either. Just about every device I've ever owned would "freak out" every now and then, but not very often.
    Maybe I'm just stuck on the wrong spec...?
    I think so. This is not going to make any difference at all, especially for an automotive unit. They have something called "road snap" that shows your position on the nearest road. The assumption is, you're driving on a road and not through somebody's front yard. :) So additional accuracy would not likely be noticed.

I think errors as large as "driving in the ocean" are the result of something else and not the "accuracy" of the gps receiver.
  • sviking 141 Points

I think errors as large as "driving in the ocean" are the result of something else and not the "accuracy" of the gps receiver.
    Most likely caused by mapping errors visually misrepresenting the position. The only way to be sure is to pull present position lat/long off the unit and plot it on a chart, then correlate to your surroundings to determine if the GPS provided position is accurate or not. Personally, I've never experienced any inaccuracies like this with any of my Garmins and I'm up to six units. 4 road and 2 handheld/hiking.
  • jjohnston 0 Points
    Ok, I'll try the factory reset...

With updating software, its $40, so would that be worth it, or should I just look at a new one?

Would I gain anything by upgrading to the nüvi® 3597LMTHD
  • Boyd 1974 Points
    Here's a comparison

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/catalog/product/compareResult.ep?compareProduct=121762&compareProduct=32700

I don't think you would "gain anything" in terms of satellite reception, but otherwise these two models are vastly different. It might be best to visit a store where you can play with the newer models.