Windows 8 will not recognize 3597

Pjbwrx 0 Points
I have spent six hours trying to get my new dell 660 to recognize a new Garmin 3597 LTMhd. Tried different USB ports, USB cables Internet browsers and all kinds of computer settings. Even dragged out the old Dell that I used for my last Garmin with no luck. HELP! Any suggestion?

Comments

• t923347 203 Points
    edited June 2013
    Have you changed the Nuvi's default setting of MTP mode to USB? If not that could be your problem although my Windows 8 laptop sees the 3597 in either mode.

Anyway from the map screen, press the speed icon and then press and hold the direction/speed indicator in the center of the next screen (the one that shows the Trip meters, Max Speed, etc. After about 10 seconds the Diagnostic Page should open. Scroll down to MTP Settings and press it.

Change the MTP Auto Detect setting to Mass Storage and press Save. Your PC should now be able to see the Nuvi.
  • Pjbwrx 0 Points
    Thank for the info, but no luck. Any more suggestions?
  • popej 52 Points
    What does nuvi after connecting to PC?
  • t923347 203 Points
    Do you mean, does the Nuvi show the computer attached to the GPS icon on the screen, when you plug the USB cable into the computer?
  • Pjbwrx 0 Points
    Have been trying to register 3597 on garmin website. Communicator plugin can't detect device.
  • Pjbwrx 0 Points
    Trying to register on garmin website, device is plugged in, I am logged in, but Communicator plugin cannot detect the nuvi. This is not my first nuvi.
  • willyboy 46 Points
    If you're saying the nuvi does not show up at all in Windows Explorer, you may possibly have a hardware failure on your new unit.
    Since MTP mode didn't work, and you connected to your old Dell that worked in the past, leads me to believe perhaps a bad USB port on the Nuvi.

You can try to gently jiggle the USB connection on the Nuvi while plugged into the computer and see if you get any response.

If not, I think you need to call Garmin first and possibly return the unit where you purchased, if still within their return policy.
  • Pjbwrx 0 Points
    I'll try that, then call Garmin first thing Mon. Would have called but tech support is closed on weekends. What do you expect for $350 anyways?
  • willyboy 46 Points
    I'll try that, then call Garmin first thing Mon. Would have called but tech support is closed on weekends. What do you expect for $350 anyways?
    I'd expect a functioning unit right out of the box, even at $99.00. :evil:

Please confirm your Nuvi is not being recognized in Windows Explorer.

If not recognized I would return it.
    If at all possible I would return it to where you bought it if your discussion with Garmin doesn't help. If returning to Garmin you will have to pay shipping and get a refurbished unit in return. This cuts down turn around time and you won't have to wait for your unit to be repaired. The unit you will receive will look just like your brand new one so you won't be disappointed with its condition.

If you have entered some favorites you will lose them since you can't access the favorites file (current.gpx) because the computer doesn't recognize the Nuvi.

Kindly let us know how you make out.
  • SergZak 222 Points
    If multiple PCs with different operating systems won't recognize that particular GPS but will recognize other GPS units you have, despite changing the unit to Mass Storage mode from it's default MTP mode (verify you've done this) and trying multiple USB cables, I would say the unit is defective. There's no way you'd be able to update firmware and/or maps (if you have lifetime map updates). If you purchased locally at retail, I would take it back and exchange it. An exchange is not as easy if you purchased online though but still entirely possible.
  • CADDYSTAN 0 Points
    I presently own about 11 GPS's 9 Garmin's and 2 TomTom's. All working and top of the line. (I'm just sick that way) Purchased my new Garmin 3597 today and was unable to get windows 8 to recognize the 3597. Being one to try fixing things myself, after several hours I failed. Then I realized the UBS cable was plugged into mount and not the GPS. OOPH!!! TRY IT.
  • Plugged into 'mount'?
  • t923347 203 Points
    Yes, the 3597 has a powered mount. The vehicle/traffic adapter plugs into the mount, while the supplied USB cable plugs directly into the Nuvi. Since both locations use the same USB port size it's possible to plug the USB cable into the mount or the vehicle adapter into the Nuvi.

As we've seen, plugging the USB cable into the mount results in the PC not seeing the Nuvi. The USB cable must be attached directly to the Nuvi for the PC connection to be made. However I don't believe the reverse is a problem. You can plug the vehicle adapter directly into the Nuvi and it will work as a GPS, just with no mount.
  • Boyd 1311 Points
    Yes, you can power the nuvi with a micro USB power cord connected directly to the device. This might be handy if, for some reason, you want to use an alternative mount. I don't know if a traffic receiver would work with a direct connection, and you would need an mini to micro USB adaptor anyway.
    Since both locations use the same USB port size it's possible to plug the USB cable into the mount or the vehicle adapter into the Nuvi.
    So Garmin changed this on the 2013 models? The HD traffic receiver has a micro connector? Interesting. The 35x0 uses a micro connector on the device and mini USB on the mount. That makes it (to me) pretty obvious how to connect to your computer, because that's the only place you can use the cable.

I guess this is part of the EU directive discussed in another thread?
  • t923347 203 Points
    Yes, you can power the nuvi with a micro USB power cord connected directly to the device. This might be handy if, for some reason, you want to use an alternative mount. I don't know if a traffic receiver would work with a direct connection, and you would need an mini to micro USB adaptor anyway.
    Since both locations use the same USB port size it's possible to plug the USB cable into the mount or the vehicle adapter into the Nuvi.
    So Garmin changed this on the 2013 models? The HD traffic receiver has a micro connector? Interesting. The 35x0 uses a micro connector on the device and mini USB on the mount. That makes it (to me) pretty obvious how to connect to your computer, because that's the only place you can use the cable.

I guess this is part of the EU directive discussed in another thread?
    I always get the 2 USB ports mixed up so hopefully I use the right terms here. The 3597 uses the larger "Mini" USB connector for both the mount and the on the device. There is no "Micro" smaller USB connector at all on this model. This allows you to connect either cable into the mount or the Nuvi, but as we have seen, this can cause a problem because connecting the computer's USB cable into the mount does nothing other than charge the device, if the USB port on the PC or HUB is powered . I guess it also lets you use the Nuvi as a GPS when attached to the computer, which someone is always asking for. :wink:
  • Boyd 1311 Points
    That's strange they would change it. The 37x0 and 35x0 have micro connectors on the device. Sounds like Garmin is thumbing their nose to the EU standard (although currently only applicable to smartphones). http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/27941/x/p1/ :twisted:
  • t923347 203 Points
    Yes, I know the 3790 has a Micro connection and it's a bit of a PITA as I need 2 different cables in my HUB. I'm always blindly grabbing the wrong one. :roll: