This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Plain Jane GPS

Kyuzo 0 Points
edited November -1 in GPS Recommendations
Thank you all for allowing me to post on this forum. After a few years of borrowing my sister's TomTom XL One GPS and LOVING it, I have decided to purchase a GPS for myself. I have a friend who has a Garmin which I find interesting, but have never used. I was hoping those of you with more experience with Garmin than I might suggest the best option in both the TomTom and Garvin camp.

I have been doing some research, but honestly, the number of units made by these two companies creates much confusion (for instance, Garmin nüvi 2555LMT or 50LM?- they both seem very close in features!).

I do not need Bluetooth, MP3 player, voice recognition or any extraneous features and I am very concerned about Garmin's use of ads- an absolute dealbreaker if true! I do want Lane Guidance, Lifetime Maps (Traffic is not necessary), spoken street names, reasonably clear screen and would prefer a price less than $150 US.

Thank you for any advice which you can offer! Kyuzo.

Comments

• caryrae 92 Points
    The 52LM could be a good choice. It's a newer 2013 model. Do you want one for use in the US or are you in another country? You would only get ads on Garmin's if it had lifetime traffic but think they may have done away with that now but not 100% sure. The 52LM is $150 on the Garmin site but may find cheaper other places. The 54LM is $10 more and you get All US and Canada.

Nuvi 52LM

5.0" display
    Maps of 49 states, plus lifetime map¹ updates
    Lane assist with junction view
    Displays speed limit and accurate arrival time
    Easily find addresses and millions of points of interest
    Spoken turn-by-turn directions
  • Kyuzo 0 Points
    Thank you so much for your reply. I will look at the 52LM. I have been trying to decide whether to try a TomTom Start series since it appears somewhat similar to my sister's XL One, or to try the Garmin. I have never used a Garmin, and I wonder how it would compare. The XL One has been very accurate and has been a boon to my sister in unfamiliar cities.

I thank you for clarifying the ad question. If Garmin's maps had pop-ups, I most certainly would not use one. I had seen the subject of ads mentioned, but I did not know to what it referred.

May I ask, have you tried both TomTom and Garmin, and if so, how did you compare the two? I would be using the unit solely in the US.

Thank you for your kindness, Kyuzo.
  • caryrae 92 Points
    I have never used a tomtom before. I have been using Garmin's for many years and have been happy with them. I have a Nuvi 3490 and we used it last year on a road trip from Minnesota to Florida, around Florida and back to MN, around 3,600 miles and it worked very well. There is also the cheaper Nuvi 42lm and 44lm which are the same as the 50 ones I mentioned, just with a smaller 4.3" screen.
  • Kyuzo 0 Points
    I'll have to drop by a retailer to check out the nuvis!

Honestly, the reason I wanted to ask was that I had done some preliminary research on the units. There must be thirty different Garmins, and some of the units are so close in features that I couldn't honestly tell the difference. :)

Thanks again for the kind consideration!
  • I had a Garmin 50LM. It is a nice basic unit (52 is the newer version) but the Garmin Nuvi 2555LMT does way more without having to read and "encyclopedia" to work it. The 50/52 allows you to insert one way point between your starting point and your destination while the 2555 allows up to 1000. The 2555 shows gas station, resteraunt, ATM icons along your path and you can press one to see what it is and choose to stop there if you wish. Not sure about the 52 but the 2555 has a faster engine than the 50 did. The 2555 is going for $129 at Best Buy right now too.
  • Kyuzo 0 Points
    Glad you mentioned the 2555. I have become smitten with it and the Via 1535 from TomTom. I am currently trying to choose between them.

May I ask, all extras aside, if any of you have used both TomTom and Garmin, how did you find the ROUTING? Not the interface, menu, or extras. I would just like to know how well you feel each brand does in choosing the best routes. I've never used a Garmin, but I REALLY like the looks of the 2555.

This particular aspect seems the most overlooked aspect of reviews. All they seem to focus on is what gadgets the device can access.

Thanks again.
  • Glad you mentioned the 2555. I have become smitten with it and the Via 1535 from TomTom. I am currently trying to choose between them.

May I ask, all extras aside, if any of you have used both TomTom and Garmin, how did you find the ROUTING? Not the interface, menu, or extras. I would just like to know how well you feel each brand does in choosing the best routes. I've never used a Garmin, but I REALLY like the looks of the 2555.

This particular aspect seems the most overlooked aspect of reviews. All they seem to focus on is what gadgets the device can access.

Thanks again.
    I have not used the TomTom. The Garmin 2555LMT seemed to route me the way I would go on the 2 times I have used it. I bought my son who is in the Air Force and he likes it. I will say this, If you have traffic turned on (which I do not) it can route you some pretty weird ways when it things there is traffic in the area. I prefer to just let it tell me if there is traffic on the route I am taking and let me make the decision. Having said that, there are NO GPS units that will take the same route as a person who knows the area very well but they will get you there and back home. What I like is the 1000 waypoints you can add to insure it takes you the route you wish to go. I also love the smooth scrolling screen and the little icon's that float in the area of restaurants, gas stations, and ATM's. Of all the voices I have found "Michelle" to be the clearest and I like the fact it doesn't say "Recalculating" every time you do not go the direction it wants. Just quietly recalculates and lets you know where to turn. My son said it is the best Garmin he has used. Also, know this...just because things look ok in my area doesn't mean you will not find a problem in your area but this is as with any GPS until the correct the map problem in your area.
  • Kyuzo 0 Points
    I thank you for the info on the 2555- I find that unit very attractive. To my knowledge, I have never been redirected due to traffic while using my sister's GPS. In my particular area traffic isn't much of a problem unless an accident occurs. My sister did tell me that on her last trip to Florida (about 700 miles), the GPS rerouted her from an accident, but she didn't say whether the route was strange.

I have never used a Garmin. I have done some research, and the primary complaint about them seems to be that they will tend to choose odd routes such as highways over interstates, and backroads over main roads. Half the time you can't tell whether it's the Garmin or the user! :)

Again, thanks for the input! Regards! Kyuzo.