nuvi 3597LMTHD Can't Connect to Garmin.Express

Kral 0 Points
I have a new nuvi3597LMTHD. I’m trying to check for updates. When I run Garmin Express, I get a screen message that says “Please attach a device to use Express”. When I attach my GPS to my PC, nothing happens. I tried disconnecting and re-connecting the Garmin supplied USB cable to the PC. I’ve tried several known good USB ports with the same result. The firmware version is 2.80.
I have Garmin Communicator Installed.
I have downloaded the latest drivers.
I restarted my PC after installing the drivers.
I’m running Windows 7 64bit.
What am I doing wrong?

Comments

• alanb 210 Points
    Try changing the nuvi from MTP mode to Mass Storage mode. You will find the procedure in the sticky of this forum for performing common tasks:
    http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/21019/x/p1/
  • Kral 0 Points
    Are you referring to this post?
    iggy wrote:
    I just received my received my 2595 today and did the backup of the NUVI when I received it. Here is the procedure I used.

Make NUVI DIR & Files visible for Backup
    1. To make all of Nuvi files visible you must unhide protected files via Win7 like any other HD.
    2. Start NUVI by itself and go to Volume Screen.
    3. Press the upper right hand corner of screen for 10 seconds.
    4. The Developers Screen will pop up
    5. Scroll down to MTP SETTINGS
    6. Change from AUTO DETECT to MASS STORAGE
    7. Shut down NUVI and hookup to Computer USB cable
    8. Start NUVI and it should recognize it is hooked up to the computer.
    9. Explorer will now see all files in ROOT directory and the .System directories.

I can’t find the MTP SETTINGS on the developers screen. Are they called something else in the 3597LMTHD?
  • t923347 208 Points
    You can try what alanb suggests but the 3597LMTHD should be seen by a Windows 7 or 8 computer in either MTP or Mass Storage Mode. At least my unit does.

The developers screens are called Diagnostics Pages but you should be able to get to them as discribed. Personally a tap Speed on the map screen and press and hold the round compass/speed read out in the top center of the page that appears. This will also bring up the Diagnostics Pages.

The MTP Settings entry is 2 down arrow movements and it should then be the top entry on the page.
  • Kral 0 Points
    You can try what alanb suggests but the 3597LMTHD should be seen by a Windows 7 or 8 computer in either MTP or Mass Storage Mode. At least my unit does.

The developers screens are called Diagnostics Pages but you should be able to get to them as discribed. Personally a tap Speed on the map screen and press and hold the round compass/speed read out in the top center of the page that appears. This will also bring up the Diagnostics Pages.

The MTP Settings entry is 2 down arrow movements and it should then be the top entry on the page.
    Thanks. I was looking at the wrong screen for the MTP settings. However, when I change the MTP setting to “Mass Storage” and try to run Garmin Express, I get the same result: the “Please attach a device to use Express” message.
  • sussamb 230 Points
    Are you connecting directly to a USB port and not a USB hub? USB hubs have been known to cause problems in the past.

If you're in mass storage mode does your GPS appear in Windows Explorer? If not you may have a faulty cable.
  • SergZak 222 Points
    I’ve tried several known good USB ports with the same result.
    You mentioned the USB ports were known as "good" but the nuvis are generally some of the higher-current devices. If you've not already done so, try a USB port connected *directly the the PC's mainboard* at the back of the PC and not one on a hub or keyboard (etc). Hub/keyboard USB ports generally supply low current and are OK for things like card readers but not for the higher-current devices like external hard disk drives or navigation units.
  • Boyd 1332 Points
    Hub/keyboard USB ports generally supply low current and are OK for things like card readers but not for the higher-current devices like external hard disk drives or navigation units.
    Powered 6-port USB hubs are your friend. :D
    the 3597LMTHD should be seen by a Windows 7 or 8 computer in either MTP or Mass Storage Mode. At least my unit does.
    I agree that the computer can "see" the Nuvi without switching to Mass Storage Mode, and Garmin's software should also work. So something else must be going on.

However there is one important difference with Mass Storage mode. It allows you to access the hidden .System folder. In MTP mode, that folder doesn't appear - or at least it doesn't on my 3550. I think this is why Garmin changed the Nuvi behavior, to discourage users from messing with the hidden .System folder and causing problems. And MTP mode doesn't behave like a "disk" either, so it won't even appear as an option in "Safely Remove". You can just uplug it without doing anything special.

So the main reason for switching to Mass Storage mode IMO is so that you can perform a full backup of your Nuvi. If you don't, then you won't be able to backup the map files. Mapsource also will not "see" your Nuvi in MTP mode.
  • SergZak 222 Points
    I agree that the computer can "see" the Nuvi without switching to Mass Storage Mode, and Garmin's software should also work. So something else must be going on.
    The number one thing that's going on (or not going on) is that the PC is not seeing the nuvi. Without the PC seeing the nuvi, nothing else can happen in regards to updates/downloads/etc until this happens.

For the OP, if you can possibly try a different PC/USB cable or other ports on the existing PC to get the nuvi recognized...that's your main issue and something that needs to happen before anything else can be done. If it gets recognized on another PC/different cable/etc, this will rule out the nuvi's USB port or the USB cable as being bad.
  • Kral 0 Points
    Problem solved! I was connecting to my PC via the USB connector on the mount. Garmin Tech support said I must use the USB connector on the unit. This solved the problem. Thanks to all for the suggestions.
  • Boyd 1332 Points
    There's a little detail you didn't tell us. :twisted:

If you had, we could have told you that the connector on the mount is only for power. :D
  • dje 0 Points
    I agree. The solution for me was to separate the GPS from the magnetic back.
    then on the back of the thin GPS is the hidden USB connection.
    So just pull the thick black magnetically attached roughly rectangular piece from the GPS, attach the USB cord to both the Garmin 3597 and the PC. The GPS should load as a mass storage device correctly.