This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Basic gps that can display latitude logitude

Capri142 30 Points
edited November -1 in GPS Recommendations
I am looking for a very basic (read inexpensive) gps unit that clearly display latitude and longitude for a given position. I don't need a lot of bells and whistles. Any ideas?

Comments

• Boyd 1985 Points
    eTrex 10?

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-trail/handhelds/etrex-10/prod87768.html

But really, any gps can do that. Maybe one of the discontinued eTrex models? Does it need to exchange data with your computer? If not, you could look for a used yellow eTrex with a serial interface. That should be *really* cheap.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-trail/discontinued/etrex-/prod6403.html
  • Capri142 30 Points
    Thanks for the reply. I do have a Garmin Zumo550 but as far as I can tell, it does not display lat/long anywhere. The reason I need it is that I am setting up about 20 locations around the state for a motorcycle tour next year so all I need for each location is the latitude/longitude to make it easy for people to locate.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    That should be no problem on your Zumo. I don't have one, but I'll bet it's like the Nuvi. Press Where To > Coordinates. Some devices might have an alternate step between the Where To and Coordinates parts.

When you get to that screen, it will display the coordinates of your current location. Now if you want to enter coordinates for a distant location, you can do it directly on the same screen. You should also have the option to change the data format on the same screen.

After entering whatever you like, there should be a button to show the location on the map. You should also have a button to save the location along with its coordinates. Again, this varies by model but I'm sure it's there somewhere on your Zumo. You shouldn't need to buy anything new. Have a look at your user manual if you can't figure it out. You can find that on Garmin's website if you don't already have a copy.

If you want the coordinates for an existing waypoint, you might need to use the GPS simulator for that, not sure. Turn on the simulator (this varies by model again) and find the waypoint (favorite) that you want. Set that as your current location. Now use the technique above to get the coordinates.
  • Capri142 30 Points
    Boyd, Bingo!

So simple I just had to go to the next screen, Sheeze! you would think that I could have figured that out myself.

THANKS!
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Oh, don't feel bad. I would describe this as "unintuitive" at best. :)

Glad I could help. You might also want to use Basecamp for what you describe. It's a lot easier to use a big screen an a keyboard for coordinate entry.

http://www8.garmin.com/learningcenter/training/basecamp/