This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Average time for each leg of a trip?

mckenziepiping 0 Points
edited November -1 in GPS Recommendations
I'm wondering if the technology exists to accomplish the following:

As we all know, GPS units don't often provide the best way to get around, especially in cities. They don't know how many traffic lights and/or stop signs there are, amongst other things.

So, I'm wondering if there exists a unit that observes the movement of your vehicle and learns whether faster alternatives exist. For example, let's say your GPS tells you to take 5 different roadways to arrive at your destination. You take 2 of those 5, but you know that another road has less lights, or the lights are synchronized, or you can drive faster than the speed limit, etc.

Now, just to be clear, I'm not talking about GPS devices that simply learn your preferred routes and then spit those out when you want to get from point A to point B. I'm talking about GPS devices that monitor all the roads you drive on and establish average times to travel a given distance on each of those roads. That way, over time, it will modify its recommended itineraries by taking into account faster way to get places that it would have learned over the course of your driving.

Comments