This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

5" Hi-Res with route selection?

Sailor 0 Points
edited November -1 in GPS Recommendations
Hello,

For a number of years I had a fantastic device...Ipaq 310 running IGO Primo. With Navteq maps, the quality was just perfect, but the hardware is now failing.

One thing I loved with IGO, that doesn't seem to exist on the Garmin, etc, is the route choices. When the route was built you immediately get to choose alternate routes, which you can view on the map or by itinerary.

This was the BEST feature, and I found it super valuable. IGO isn't really an option anymore, as their focussed on the "PDA, iphone, tablet" market now, which is not what I'm looking for. Just a dedicated device.

Are there any solutions that have this option anymore? We don't all just want a single button press and assume it's perfect!

Comments

• I know that the Garmin Nuvi 3590 will give two choices of routes. However I personally find them too similar in many cases.

For example suppose I live south of the city and my destination is north of the city. The unit will give two routes through the city whereas I'd rather if gave one choice going around the city on the beltway.
  • Sailor 0 Points
    Yeah, that is too bad. IGO was excellent for this, particularly on longer trips >300 miles. It gives 5 or 6 options, and will show the overview on the map for each one, total distance, and also itinerary.

I much prefer having some interaction regarding the overall route, but most of the off the shelf units have to be the simplest possible solution.
  • Yeah, that is too bad. IGO was excellent for this, particularly on longer trips >300 miles. It gives 5 or 6 options, and will show the overview on the map for each one, total distance, and also itinerary.

I much prefer having some interaction regarding the overall route, but most of the off the shelf units have to be the simplest possible solution.
    You may want to look at any of the units that let you specify your own route using multiple waypoints. Many but not all of the Nuvi's do that. Personally I wouldn't buy a unit that didn't let me exactly plan my own route.