Nuvi 3590 Audio Problems
  • nuvifan
    I seek advice about my Nuvi 3590 current problems with Audio. The unit does not properly start up in the car: When I put it on the powered mount (already plugged in and car on), the Nuvi most often does not register that Audio/Sound is functioning. This has been occurring for two weeks.

Normally when I plug in the Nuvi and car is on, I’ll get a beep signifying it is connected properly. However, most times these past two weeks, the unit is totally silent. Then I will disconnect it, wait for the screen to go dim, and reconnect it; I will reconnect 3-4-5 or more times until I get it properly registering an audio beep. I will oftentimes press a main screen function to check it…and get silence. Virtually everytime I operate the Nuvi lately, I have to reconnect multiple times before audio is properly registered.

The unit will register audio beeps immediately after it is DISconnected (and will speak navigation commands), but of course that is not an efficient way to drive with the Nuvi. Sometimes after I have a proper connection, and it is giving me voice commands (and I have been speaking to it), it will go totally silent during the drive. Attempts to reboot the unit, either by soft reboot or total turn off / turn back on again have no effect. Once it is on the mount, I have to totally disconnect and reconnect (uh, yeah, sometimes while driving…other times while waiting at stoplight) to get it functioning properly again. Even when the audio is not working, the unit does still operate correctly with maps and navigation, as well as respond to my spoken commands.

One other audio malfunction should be mentioned, in case it helps anyone to diagnose my problem: Twice in the past few weeks the unit has started up with terribly distorted sound (a scratchy voice, cutting off and on), as if something is mechanically wrong. However, a soft reboot while driving has gotten it back to proper operation (assuming I get audio at all). NOTE: I also have performed a total “hard reset” of the unit, but it has not made any difference.

Further information: I have already gotten a free replacement mount from Garmin (it was very quick to respond to my Email plea, about ten days ago; sent the mount no questions asked!). However, that new mount is actually much worse than my original mount: It almost always takes me 6-8 reconnects to get it working. Both mounts have had a bout of scratch, distorted audio. I currently operate the 3590 with my original mount. My unit is now about 16 months old.

What’s the range of opinion: Do I have a defective 3590, or possibly a defective GTM 60 power cord/USB connector?

I am hopeful of getting useful advice in this forum…and a workable fix, but am also prepared to phone Garmin and discuss it in person: I dread an expected 45 minute call on hold…and a poorly trained tech support person.
  • willyboy
    Not owning a 3590 I'll give it a shot in troubleshooting.

You don't mention if using the unit on internal battery power if it functions properly. Have you tried that and see if the issue persists?

The 3590 has a powered mount with the speaker on the mount, I believe it should also have an internal speaker so that it may function if using pedestrian mode. By testing on internal battery power alone, if it works properly than you can pinpoint the issue to being the power mounts speaker or the connections to it.

This can be several things. The USB connector on the 12V chord, the contacts on the Nuvi itself where the power mount connects. I would have also suggested the power mount but you say that was already replaced and is worse than your original. Also consider there is always a possibility that the new power mount is defective.

Please try using the internal battery test first so we can eliminate some possibilities.
  • It does seem that it's important to narrow down where the problem is and whether it seems to work correctly just on battery outside the mount is the first question as posed above.

I have a 3590 and I would say that it doesn't seem to matter to my unit whether I plug it into the mount before or after I have turned the car on which of course sends power to the mount.

Have you simply checked that none of the connectors on the unit or the mount are dirty or any of the pins on the mount are bent?

Also, only a few of the voices can speak back to you in voice command. In the language settings, I think only the voices that say "speaks street names" in the voice choice list will also be able to speak in voice command. I know that I have tried others and some can't speak in voice command. Best pick American Jack or Jill though Jack is better. Jill has digitized voice issues.
  • sussamb
    I don't think the OP is actually having an issue with voice recognition, but you're correct that only TTS voices can be selected if you want voice recognition to work. More info here https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={1df288e0-19f9-11e0-d39a-000000000000}
  • nuvifan
    Thanks for the comments and efforts at troubleshooting by willyboy, crazyfingers, and susssamb. Here’s an update:

I have experimented repeatedly today with the device, and report the following Nuvi behavior (ALL with OLD mount, which seems to have pins in normal straight condition and looks clean):
    1. The unit works perfectly when it is connected to the mount with the GTM 60 cable (and car power OFF), and also works perfect when it is totally off the mount; thus in both previous situations, it is relying totally on internal battery, and the GTM 60 cable makes no difference. I get normal audio recognition and the unit beeps as appropriate. By the way, I have been using the “Jill” voice for most of the past year… and am now.
    2. Since the unit will work fine on internal battery, if I connect it to the mount and the GTM 60 cable is plugged into cigarette lighter (my standard configuration for the past year), the Nuvi immediately ceases to have audio (= no beep, no voice).
    3. Once I manage to get the unit working correctly with the car turned ON (think 3-4-5 removals from mount, and reconnects…aargh!)...and turn the car off, I immediately lose the audio.

Given that the mount has two connections (the gold pins, upon which the Nuvi rests, plus the USB connector at the side of mount), and these automatically operate together, I am unable to determine which, if either connection, might possibly be at fault.

Alternatively, is it possible that the Nuvi pin slots (at the bottom of the unit are faulty), despite the fact that it works fine while on internal battery?

I appreciate the speculations offered so far…and hope that someone can lead me to a solution. Otherwise, I will have to call Garmin and hope that it can offer resolution (perhaps a new GTM 60, or a refurbished 3590?).
  • t923347
    IMO, if you were to call Garmin and explain exactly what you have written in your last post, you would have a new 3590 and/or GTM60 cable (probably both) on it's way to you before the day was out.
  • nuvifan
    t923347 said:

IMO, if you were to call Garmin and explain exactly what you have written in your last post, you would have a new 3590 and/or GTM60 cable (probably both) on it's way to you before the day was out.

GREAT ADVICE, t923347. As a result, I have tried to Email my plea to Garmin Customer Support (combined most of the detail from my above 2 posts) for the past 45 minutes (= six tries or more to send), but each gets a response that "there is something wrong with my message; try again later."

Regardless, I will try again tomorrow AM. Thanks again for your brilliant suggestion to what should have been an obvious (to me) solution. I'll report back after I finally exchange correspondence with Garmin Customer Support.
  • willyboy
    One last possible test you may try to determine if the GTM60 may be at fault.

I'm not sure what kind of connector you have on the 3590 cradle USB connector. If it is a MINI USB, mount the 3590 on the cradle, using the Garmin USB cable that came with the Nuvi, plug that into your PC. The Nuvi should go into normal mode (not PC).
    If everything works properly when using a simulated route, I would think the problem is the the GTM60 power cable. I would also try using a different vehicle to confirm it's the cable.
  • t923347
    nuvifan said:

GREAT ADVICE, t923347. As a result, I have tried to Email my plea to Garmin Customer Support (combined most of the detail from my above 2 posts) for the past 45 minutes (= six tries or more to send), but each gets a response that "there is something wrong with my message; try again later."

Regardless, I will try again tomorrow AM. Thanks again for your brilliant suggestion to what should have been an obvious (to me) solution. I'll report back after I finally exchange correspondence with Garmin Customer Support.

You'll always get a better and overall quicker response if you call them instead of e-mailing Garmin Support:

Phone Numbers

US: 913-397-8200
    US Toll Free: 1-800-800-1020
    Canada: 1-866-429-9296
  • nuvifan
    t923347,

I have almost always depended on CALLING Garmin previously, because I fully agree about speaking in person to tech support.

However, last night (and this AM) I wanted to Email the detailed info in my two posts above, because I strongly believed that would be more effective...than trying to explain every little point and example of my frustration.

HOWEVER, when I failed multiple times again this AM to get the Garmin website Email to work, I DID CALL...and was absolutely floored when I got a live person within about one minute.

She verified that there was "some problem" with the Email...but gave me a DIRECT GARMIN EMAIL ADDRESS. It worked so well, that within a few seconds after sending the detailed list of Audio problems (I "copied and pasted"), she confirmed it's receipt. I expect to hear back from Garmin within a few days (NOTE: when I sent my Email to tech support 2 weeks ago requesting a new mount, they sent it within 5 days...without any further discussion).

So, despite all the justified criticism about Garmin problems (by me and everyone else, that I've noticed the past 4 years), it can really provide superlative service, when it wants to: The invoice that came with my free replacement mount was labeled "Shipping Per Good Customer Service" (although true, the mount made my Audio problem worse). I am hoping for a complete replacement of Nuvi and cable, possibly refurbished...

IMPORTANT for all future Garmin Tech Support: If you have problems like I had with getting Garmin's system to accept your message, use the following Garmin address:

techsupp@garmin.com
  • AndreyT
    sussamb said:

I don't think the OP is actually having an issue with voice recognition, but you're correct that only TTS voices can be selected if you want voice recognition to work. More info here https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={1df288e0-19f9-11e0-d39a-000000000000}

It depends on what you mean by "voice recognition". The fixed voice commands will work regardless of whether the current voice is TTS or not. In fact it is actually preferable to have non-TTS voice selected if one actively uses voice commands: that way one will not get those long, repetitive and annoying confirmation prompts from the device as one proceeds through the menu using voice commands.

As for recognizing custom street ant business names... yes, for that a TTS voice has to be selected apparently. But I'd say that for voice command purposes cons of TTS voices still outweigh the pros.
  • nuvifan
    AndreyT,

NONE of my Audio issues have anything to do with voice recognition, nor selected voice. My issues are that the 3590 ceases to emit ANY AUDIO signal (such as a beep, when I change from one screen to another), or speak to me: It will not speak turn instructions, nor acknowledge that I have spoken to it.
  • nuvifan
    Once again, THANKS to t923347, for getting me to contact Garmin directly regarding my "Nuvi 3590 Audio Problems."

As a result of your prodding, when I finally got through to Garmin phone Tech Support, I was able to Email "techsupp" direct...with the detailed explanations first expressed in this thread. I was overwhelmed with pleasure when Garmin emailed me within THREE HOURS, with an offer to exchange my 3590 and GTM 60 cable with refurbished equipment.

Garmin sent me an RMA #, and my hardware began winging its way to Olathe, Kansas this AM. I am positive that when tech support read about my issues, it made it easy for them understand and act immediately.

I had already expected to contact Garmin soon, but your brief comment ("IMO, if you were to call Garmin and explain exactly what you have written in your last post, you would have a new 3590 and/or GTM60 cable (probably both) on it's way to you before the day was out") spurred me into immediate action!

Chalk up one more big set of kudos for GpsReview and this forum: I have been the recipient of super help with gps issues here about a dozen times during the past 4 years!

I'll keep y'all posted on the (hopefully) final outcome of the upcoming refurbishment!
  • t923347
    Glad that things are working out for you. Hopefully your new equipment will bring your issues to a happy conclusion. I think that your investigative work in identifying the issues did a lot more than my "prodding" however.😃
  • nuvifan
    I am exceptionally pleased with the result of my recent transaction with Garmin. Following my paid shipment of the faulty 3590, GTM 60 cable, and speaker mount back to Kansas…I was notified 3 business days later that said items had been received at Garmin…and immediately notified that refurbished replacements were on the way. Net result: It took exactly one week from my shipment to receiving the replacements, complete with a warranty card certifying that the refurbishment is guaranteed for one year.

Following three hours of effort on my part (re-installing “Saved Places,” resetting all my personal choices on the 3590, updating the software to Version 7.90 and downloading five other favored Voices, and using Map Updater for the latest North American maps)…I now have my beloved device working to my satisfaction again. [Never underestimate the value of having maps install smoothly the FIRST time, via Map Updater!]

Although in my first drive the 3590 had one initial glitch when Audio did NOT function, a quick dismount/remount of the unit corrected that. I also am pleased that all three placements onto the speaker mount went smoothly (I always had problems getting the 3590 to lock on the mount since I got it new 16 months ago): That is a another real plus for me. I realize that I haven’t tested out the unit enough yet, but am hopeful that this episode is now over, and look forward to at least generally reliable performance in the future.

Thanks again to “t923347” for inspiring me to contact Garmin right away, about 10 days ago…and seek replacement. To Garmin’s Credit: Although my lengthy email to Garmin did NOT formally request replacement, Garmin voluntarily took the initiative and immediately decided to send a refurbished 3590. I also thank Gpsreview for all the advice that continues to be posted and retained here: I used links to locate both Webupdater and Mapupdater, as well as previous posts for backing up the new device (including Mass Transfer Protocol settings) and re-installing Saved Places. Hey, it was only 11 days ago that I first posted here, for comment and advice within the Gpsreview community: Ahhh, life can be so good! 😀

I encourage anyone else having serious, repeated problems with a Nuvi…to contact Garmin with an clear explanation of their issues, and perhaps achieve the same level of prompt replacement. It is safe to say that I will continue to buy Garmin for at least the near future.
↑ Top

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!