This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Garmin Montana 600 Not good for marine navigation

Garmin Montana 600 for Marine Navigation is not good for Marine navigation. If using the routs it decides which order you go in not the way you select. This can be dangerous as you might want to navigate around an a hazard and it overrides by going 1st to the closest waypoint. Furthermore you cant jump a waypoint on a route. Rubbish. The old 276 and 498 were much better.

Comments

• sussamb 829 Points
    Please read forum policy and the comment about rants.

Do you actually have a question to ask that we can help you with?
  • sviking 141 Points
    That's a "rant"? Seriously? He just stated what the unit does.
  • Great if anyone (including sussamb) can tell me how I can set a route in a 600 that goes as follows (taking mark a being the closest and mark e the furthest from the starting position)

Route - My position to mark b (leave to port) to a (to starboard) to e (to starboard) to d (to port) to c ( to port)and back to the starting position. Important its in that order. Now assume I am nearing a but chose to leave it out, what happens to the route.

Thanks
  • popej 57 Points
    I'm not sure if I understand your problem correctly, but my guess is that routing depends on settings in Montana, see topic "Route Transitions" on page 42 of manual. If your setting is "Auto", then gps can take shortcuts on route.
  • hi Popej, within this setting mode I appear to have the options ofActivity (which does not have marine navigation as an option), Calculation method (which gives either Based on activity or Prompted)or Lock on road. Nowhere does it let me select Auto or manual - I might have missed something here?
  • popej 57 Points
    You can try different activities, maybe some will be suitable for your task. I don't know Montana but in manual there is note, that "Route Transitions" depends on activity.
  • Thanks Popej. I have looked through all of the options. Strange they don't have a marine/navigation option.

Its all a little random not knowing how these options select routes. Nobody within Garmin seems to understand it either, I have been onto them several times and they simply say they don't know! I upgraded to the Montana from the 276, this old unit (now no longer built) clearly showed not only the route by points/waypoints but also the bearing and distance between the waypoints. The Montana seems to be a downgrade from the 276 and not designed for marine navigation (unless I am not using it properly - possible!).
  • I'm hanging on to my 276C, and maybe I'll even let Garmin refurbish it. It is very versatile, even though I never use the marine function. I use it mainly for on the road and off the road driving and I'm not sure if the new ones will do everything that it does that I want it to do, though I know the new ones are much more modern and have many good features that my 276 doesn't, like the memory for instance.

I see that Ebay is selling used 276's for much more than they cost when new ~ ten years ago!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GARMIN-GPS-CHARTPLOTTER-MARINE-AUTO-478-GPSMAP-MOTORCYCLE-BOAT-CAR-276C-/251323841680
  • Boyd 2007 Points
    I know the 276 still has a big following. But those Garmin data cards would be the deal breaker for me - they are small and *really* expensive. I don't think Garmin really positions the Montana as a marine device, although they do show it on the handhelds page in the "On the water" section of their site. It looks out of place next to all the other models that float.

But the Montana is great out on the trail... something that you can't do with your 276. :)
  • You can take your 276 on the trail, Boyd. It's got a battery. The only problem would be if the battery wore out, then you'd need a spare. the earlier 176 was better in that regard because it used AA's. Some of the new ones are better yet, using either a battery pack or AA's. You're right about the Garmin data cards, though. Terrible. It's good that Garmin finally got away from them. They didn't want to. Anyway, I have a 128 and a 256 and a super duper 512 so I'm set with those silly things.
  • Boyd 2007 Points
    Wow, really? I didn't realize it was portable... looks like a brick but not as heavy as I thought... about 14oz vs 10oz for the Montana. It is definitely a Garmin classic, with styling similar to the GPSMap 60csx. :)

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-water/discontinued/gpsmap-276c/prod233.html
  • Boyd - Your photo shows the 276 with a holder attached. It's actually more compact.

The antenna in the back folds flat, or it can be removed and you can attach a remote antenna by wire on the BNC connection, which is what I usually do. Then if you are on the trail you can stuff the GPS in somewhere but keep the antenna up high to get better reception. I read about someone who attached it to his hat.

The buttons on mine haven't looked as good as in those photos in a long time. They wear down and get creaky, especially in cold weather when they barely work at all, a weak point. Too bad they didn't keep on improving the 176 - 276C line, though instead of dropping it entirely.
  • zee 97 Points
    I removed point a, from the said route that I made up on a 60, so that it now navigates from b to e.
    No Leg Dist or Leg Choice in the Data Fields at the bottom of the Route Page?
    No way to move a point up or down, in the "go to order" on the Route Page?
    I get multi choices, when I hit the Entr and Menu buttons on the Route Page in a 60.
  • Boyd 2007 Points
    Am I missing something, or did you post this to the wrong thread? :)
  • zee 97 Points
    It's in reference to Anavigator13 post # 4 from the top. I made up a route in a 60 to compare and see how the units differ.
    I once made up a backyard route in a 60, 300' N, 100'E,300'S,100W back to starting point. When I tried to navigate the route as directed, the next being to the N, it wanted to route me over to the closer one, to the east 100 ft. I changed some setting and got it to go N, but then later on I forgot what I changed to fix it.
  • werewolf 112 Points
    I'm hanging on to my 276C, and maybe I'll even let Garmin refurbish it. ...

So much for that idea. I called up Garmin today - and amazingly they answered both in the Marine (they have 276 classed as a marine gps) and in their automotive divisions right away (the man said it's the slow season for marine) - and both of the people I spoke to were knowledgeable and friendly and unhurried (I was asking advice on a new unit and about problems I'm having with the 276)...but they stopped fixing the 276 in 2012.

:(

PS I was told that their new model units are already appearing. You can tell the new ones by the last number which is "8".
  • werewolf 112 Points
    I don't know how accurate the info he gave me was, though. He recommended the 640 as a successor to my 276, but the 640 looks expensive and rare and the reviews are not very good and it looks all but defunct and it seems to be mostly for marine use anyway, which I don't even use. Also I looked up Nuvi 6597 (because that's the one I'm leaning towards) but the 6598 doesn't look like the new model, it just looks like the British version of the current model.
  • Boyd 2007 Points
    What is the Nuvi 6597? I have never heard of that model before. Do you perhaps mean the 3597?
  • werewolf 112 Points
    What is the Nuvi 6597? I have never heard of that model before. Do you perhaps mean the 3597?
    Ooops - sorry. Yes I meant the 3597. I looked at the 3597 in Best Buy today. Seems to be the same price as on Amazon but Amazon may not charge tax. Nice looking. I'd rather the screen was a bit bigger. They had Tom Toms and Magellans too. Cheaper, as was the 2597 model I think it was whose screen looked the same as the 3597. I need to do some more research.

Guess if I bought it at BB I could return it within 15 days if I didn't like it. Sucks that they won't fix the 276 though, but it's still plugging along, but dropping the satellite signals every now and then. Maybe the reset trick the Garmin guy told me (hold down power and out buttons to start it up) will help. Jury's still out on that.

When does the next years Garmin models come out? The G man said soon and some were out already, but that info didn't seem very accurate...
  • sussamb 829 Points

PS I was told that their new model units are already appearing. You can tell the new ones by the last number which is "8".
    AFAIK the ones ending in 8 are simply the equivalent of a model but with digital traffic, at least they are in the UK, so 3597 is exactly the same as the 3598, the latter just has the digital traffic receiver.
  • Boyd 2007 Points
    I suggest that you start a thread in the Garmin Automotive Forum if you want to discuss the Nuvi. We are getting pretty far off topic for a thread about the Montana in the handheld forum. :)

The screen technology is totally different on the 3xxx and 2xxx series. The 3xxx has a glass multi-touch screen that supports gestures at 800x480 and the 2xxx is capacitive without no gesture support at 480x272. Whether this matters to you is a completely personal thing of course.
  • werewolf 112 Points
    Yes, you're right, Boyd, this thread has gone off on tangents. One last thing though - it seems that the G Man, the first one I spoke with in their Marine dept., while friendly was a font of misinformation, such as the model ending in 8 thing and how to reset satellite acquisition.

As I said, my 276 was getting very poor satellite acquisition* and often none at all. What I did do that MAY have fixed it was restart the unit and reset the location not automatically but manually, even though I haven't changed location. First time I've seen a full row of signal bars in a long time! Hope it stays that way.

*Poor satellite acquisition: ask me about my new Nexus 7 tablet - or google it!