This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

OSM on nuvi 52LM ?

Got a nuvi 52LM for Fathers day. Popped an microSD in and downloaded some Open Street Maps. Get the horrible feeling that they're not compatible. Put gmapsup.img in a folder named Garmin/ on the SDcard but can't seem to find a way to enable it.

Norm :?:

Comments

• Got a nuvi 52LM for Fathers day. Popped an microSD in and downloaded some Open Street Maps. Get the horrible feeling that they're not compatible. Put gmapsup.img in a folder named Garmin/ on the SDcard but can't seem to find a way to enable it.
    Norm :?:
    To enable any maps on the unit or SD card do the following:
    Select Settings >System >Map >Map Info
    This will display all the maps, check or uncheck the ones you want to be recognized.

Open Street maps ARE compatible.
    As far as the OSM maps on the SD card, they should be in the proper location. Being unfamiliar with the 52LM I believe to be recognized you must create a Map folder on the root directory of the SD card.
    Name it EXACTLY Map (Capital M, small case a & p). You should be able to name the map anything you like as long as it has the .img extension. An example would be OSM Europe.img.

If that doesn’t work on the 52LM, leave the map in the Garmin folder and name it gmapsupp.img. I’m not sure if that was a typo by you, since you indicate you named it gmapsup.img
  • Thanks willyboy, I'll get to it later in the day. Yep, it was a typo. It is gmapsupp.img
  • THanks willyboy, I finally got to it. Put gmapsupp.img in
    SDcard/Maps/gmapsupp.img

Seetings > Map > Info

make sure that
    OSM generic routable
    CN Australia & New Zealand NT2014.20
    are both ticked.

I guess when I get to the area covered by the OSM (South Australia) It wiil show uo or I'll get a choice. At least I know it's there and recognised.

Thanks again

Norm
  • sussamb 621 Points
    It may not show without you deselecting the CN map. Depends on the map transparency so don't count on it just 'showing up'.
  • Yep, got that thanks. Went to simulate mode and had a play. Shame the topo maps are so expensive, thats what I really need.
  • It may not show without you deselecting the CN map. Depends on the map transparency so don't count on it just 'showing up'.
    My mistake when I stated 'check or uncheck the ones you want to be recognized". I should have said, only check the one you want to be active at a given time. The CN map will have priority. The reason for this is that if you have maps that cover the same area or parts of an area, the added map may not appear in Map Info. In addition, having duplicate coverage of an area may cause the search feature not to function properly.
  • So I only want one map selected at a time. Makes sense I guess. Some of the Ham Radio software I use allows you to set priority "in the order listed" so to speak.

I fact, none of the maps I've found are much good in rural Australia, let alone the Outback. Guess I have to wait for my birthday for the Topo set.:-)
  • So I only want one map selected at a time. Makes sense I guess. Some of the Ham Radio software I use allows you to set priority "in the order listed" so to speak.

I fact, none of the maps I've found are much good in rural Australia, let alone the Outback. Guess I have to wait for my birthday for the Topo set.:-)
    You can have more than one map selected at a time, depending on the maps you have loaded. I thought your OSM map was a supplemental map of a different continent. Generally speaking, if the maps DON"T cover the same area, or partial areas, it's safe to have both checked.

Perhaps somebody on the forum knows if any FREE Topo maps are available for Australia and make a suggestion.
  • sussamb 621 Points
    I suspect his OSM map is a topo map for Australia :wink:
  • I suspect his OSM map is a topo map for Australia :wink:
    I'm not so sure he has a Topo Map according to what he stated.
    Yep, got that thanks. Went to simulate mode and had a play. Shame the topo maps are so expensive, thats what I really need.
  • sussamb 621 Points
    I believe that's referring to paid for, rather than OSM, topo maps, but no doubt he'll clarify in due course.

Given that he's got the CN map, and wants topo, the intermediate step is OSM topo, at least it would be for me :?
  • Boyd 1725 Points
    Topo maps and Nuvi's usually aren't all that great a combination. Contour lines are wider than the roads, many of the POI's and labels don't show. Shaded terrain makes the little roads hard to see. I would think twice before paying good money for a topo if you are going to use it on a Nuvi. :)
  • sussamb 621 Points
    Fair point, though I guess for some uses it's good enough ... here are some shots of an OSM map on my 1490, I've never bothered paying for topo mapping:

• Boyd 1725 Points
    Interesting, that looks pretty nice. The little roads or trails are a bit hard to see though. OSM uses custom types, and that helps a lot on the Nuvi. A custom type forces the gps to display elements like contour lines in a specific way.

Garmin's own topo maps don't use custom types, therefore the GPS renders features using its own defaults and it looks terrible on the Nuvi. That's what I had in mind when suggesting that you think twice before purchasing anything (the OP was hoping to receive topo maps as a birthday gift).

For more info, see better looking topo maps on the nuvi.
  • popej 57 Points
    Contours on your map have wrong labels, they should be displayed in feet not meters.

• sussamb 621 Points
    edited September 2013
    Yes, the smaller trails don't show up well ... far better on my Etrex 20 :)

• sussamb 621 Points
    Contours on your map have wrong labels, they should be displayed in feet not meters.

Nope ... metres is correct :wink:
  • popej 57 Points
    Wrong is that you have mixed units on display. If you set "miles" in nuvi, then you should have height in feet.
  • sussamb 621 Points
    Well it's the talkytoaster mapping and the contour map is separate from the main map and is in metres, that's just the way it is.
  • popej 57 Points
    Yes, problem is in map, nuvi works correctly except displaying unit symbol in upper case.
  • Sweet maps! My OSMs are nowhere near that good. Guess thats Open Ource for you! What tools are used to edit/create OSMs. Perhaps some kind soul could point me to a web page?

Norm