This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

AGPS working without GPS

learner71 5 Points
edited November -1 in GPS Discussions
Hi,

I read that there are two types of AGPS.
1. Mobile Station Based : It will take almanac and ephemeris data from server and provide information to GPS module.
2. Mobile Station Assisted: where GPS module will send signal information (almanac and ephemeris data) to base station, where it will calculate the position and send back to module.

Question?
1. Can AGPS work, even when i am not receiving any signal or weak signal to GPS module?
2. which is best method of getting AGPS coordinates for every attempt and accurate one?

Regards
Learner

Comments

• Your questions are a little more vague than you might think. It depends on what you are wanting to do.

By my understanding, 'a-GPS' or assisted GPS, is just a methodology to allow you to get a fix on a device quicker by being able to narrow down the satellite search because based on other information, you know the approximate position of the device in question. It's use is more typical in '911' calls to let the responders get a location quicker from cellphones and other gps enabled communication devices that may not always be locked on to a satellite signal.

If no GPS satellite signal can be resolved, then it does give a rougher location based on other information such as cell towers that are in contact with the device and presumably the signal strengths at each tower.

But if your device is in constant satellite lock and 'start-up' time is not an issue, then I see no advantage.
  • Suppose i am sitting inside building, where i am not able to see even single satellite. will AGPS work to get location?
  • sussamb 658 Points
    Most smart phones will give an approximate location without a GPS signal.
  • Boyd 1781 Points
    My iPhone was able to locate me in the basement of a department store in New York City recently. :)
  • Suppose i am sitting inside building, where i am not able to see even single satellite. will AGPS work to get location?
    In the U.S., If they are able to get a cell signal, I think most by law, can triangulate you to within about 100 feet. That was supposed to become 50 feet by 2018, but there is some wavering on that.

But it's not something you buy for personal use.
  • How is possible to get possible using AGPS, when there is no GPS signal? As AGPS helps to GPS module to get location. Does it mean, in USA GPS signal is good, wherever are we?,everywhere GPS signal is good. even in building, are we able to get GPS signal?
  • Trainee 0 Points
    I am an android developer I want to implement AGps supportale app how we can implement it in android is it same as GPS.
  • Tim 1459 Points
    Trainee said:

I am an android developer I want to implement AGps supportale app how we can implement it in android is it same as GPS.

Yes, for those purposes it is the same and there is nothing additional for you to do. The location API will take advantage of whatever GPS assist technologies are available in the current area and whatever hardware might be in the phone.