This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Big city navigation

Sammy62521 0 Points
edited November -1 in Smartphone Navigation
Hi, I have a Garmin 255w,It has worked really well in a lot of places except Chicago Il,The tall buildings can pretty much kill a signal.I was told a smart phone gps like on my Samsung s3 would be better because they also work on cell phone towers,therefore keepin your position.is this true?

Sam

Comments

• Boyd 1795 Points
    I certainly think so. I have a variety of different dedicated GPS units. But as a pedestrian in New York City, my iPhone is the best. It uses a combination of GPS, cell phone and wifi signals to locate you. It can even find your position inside many buildings.

In the car, I still use my Nuvi however it does have issues with drifting position in downtown Manhattan. I prefer a larger screen in the car though.
  • mvl 191 Points
    I use the Galaxy S3 in Manhattan all the time. It has absolutely no problems getting location due to all the wifi/cell backup info it gets. And it has a big enough screen.

If you're in a big city a lot, you definitely should switch to iOS / Android as their positioning capabilities are much better than a standalone PND that only has satellites as its source.

Android makes phones in pretty much every size imaginable, and you can find a good compromise of small enough to use as a phone and big enough to use as a GPS (Galaxy S3/S4 is perfect for me).

With iOS you could consider the iPad mini or full iPad if you want something bigger, but get the 3G/4G versions as the wifi ones don't have satellite GPS and will lose signal the instant you leave a dense wifi area.
  • The Nexus 7 LTE is also out now if you wanted something larger than a phone. 8)