This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

GPS how accurate

Capri142 30 Points
edited November -1 in GPS Recommendations
is the MPH/KPH function? Is it consistent?

Comments

• dhn 336 Points
    As a rule, the speed shown by a gps will always be more accurate than that shown by the speedometer on your car; in fact, auto manufacturers set their speedos to show greater than actual, sometimes by up to 5%.

That is my understanding.

This assumes your gps is locking into at least 3 satellites for proper triangulation.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    If you do a forum search you will find a number of threads on this topic, such as this one.
  • thanks, interesting thread. The reason I asked is that I was stopped by a cop a few days ago. I ride a MC and I know that the speedo is about 8 to10 % off so always go by the GPS speed. I had the GPS Cruise Control set at 73 on the highway where there was a 70mph speed limit. The cop said I was doing 82 mph. When I told him I had the cc set at 73, he just gave me a warning, told me to watch my speed and left. I have never had a problem in the past using the cruise control as a speedometer on my bike.