This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

anyone like the Mio C230? [Mio]

limoguy1 0 Points
It has text to speech and is $150. Good screen quality, clear directions.

Comments

• gawettla 181 Points
    I have a C230. For the money it is pretty good.

I do not use the TTS feature. It only has TTS for the "US English" voice, no foreign voices.

The screen is kind of small, only 3.5".
    The screen is bright and colours are good. But it does suffer from bad light reflections. Needs a non-reflective coating of some kind.

The voice directions are very good. I like them better than my Nuvi 250W.

The maps are recent. July 2007
    The maps are Tele Atlas

The unit is easily hackable if you are into that kind of thing.
  • yes, thats true theres only one voice for the text to speech. I like the small screen. Nice and small to throw in my pocket or arm rest quick. Colors are pretty nice to.
  • This morning I went out to Circuit City and picked up 2 Mio C230 units. This is my first vehicular GPS unit. I have used marine ones many times, but this is the first one I've ever had that has mapping, etc. So I am sort of a newb.

I really like this device a lot. I did a lot of research trying to figure out which one to purchase. I know I am poor...lol and that I was going to buy 2 units. One for myself and one for my GF for the holidays. I was torn between the Tom Tom One LE and the C230. Both are available for $149. For me text to speech was the deal breaker. The Tom Tom doesn't do Text To Speech unless you do some mods to it with a 2 gig memory card.

The Points of Interest were a concern of mine. The Tom Tom has almost 5 million and this unit has around 1 million (give or take). After playing around with the Mio in Circuit City today I came to the conclusion that the POI was enough for us. There was nothing I could think of that I couldn't find in the unit. I also always keep my windows mobile phone with Google Maps handy if there is ever an issue.

The Mio C230 works very well. I powered it up in the Circuit City parking lot and it lead me home fine and dandy. The mounting situation is easy. It has the traditional suction cup option, as well as a large disc with an adhesive that you can stick to any surface...you can then stick the suction cup onto it.

The Text to Speech worked beautifully. There are 2 english options...a man and a woman. I think the man's voice sounds a little better pronounced but they're both just dandy.

Signal Strength is amazing. I'm sitting in my house right now away from all windows and I have a full signal strength. Its great!

I haven't had time to give it any battery tests or anything to see how long it lasts. I will let you know though.

The big question is...my not-so-technical girlfriend will do with the unit. It seems really easy and I think she'll be just fine with it. I will find out today when she rips it open. Wish me luck :-)

Feel free to ask any questions, as I have recently become regularly looking around this site. Happy Holidays!

-Mikey

p.s. I've also done a lot of reading that this unit is very hackable, if you're into that sort of thing. You can customize just about everything. I haven't tried any of this yet. I'm not sure if I'm going to or not. I'm not crazy about voiding warranties.
  • I own the C230 and i really like it. Good features for the price.
  • I've owned a c230 for a little over a month and like it very much. As with any GPS it has a few quirks, as ALL of them do, but overall it's been easy to use, accurate and reliable for my needs. I've posted a comprehensive review at: http://www99.epinions.com/content_411817578116

DC
  • I like it because I have it unlocked and am using some of the windowsCE features and I have a custom skin which gives me more options and better screens...

Can't do that with the garmin!