This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Navigon on an Android?

Sonix 0 Points
edited November -1 in Smartphone Navigation
Trying to decide between a few Android nav apps.

Can I start with a zip, allowing better/faster, instead of like Garmin devices? They make you go through a few steps before you can narrow down to a route.

I have a couple more questions, but I would like to start with this one.

Comments

• So sad, I guess that nobody uses Navigon in a forum designed for smartphones. Any ideas where one may look?

• Can I start with a zip, allowing better/faster, instead of like Garmin devices?
    Well to be honest, the question you ask really doesn't make sense to me. A little more elaboration on what you want would help everyone.

• Can I start with a zip, allowing better/faster, instead of like Garmin devices?

Well to be honest, the question you ask really doesn't make sense to me. A little more elaboration on what you want would help everyone.
    OK, when I plot a route using a Garmin Nuvi, I can't start with typing in a zip code. You must first go through a few screens and change to the right State, then you can enter a zipcode (or City) followed by house number then street. Just seems like a no brainer to me that Garmin hasn't improved over the years. Actually, if one of these apps used a Google Omnibox you could just start typing the address while it searches the recent then the favorites, followed by a typical search box like in Google maps. Google maps is now the starting place for all navigation. Best to try it yourself because it would be difficult to describe in a forum.

These apps and PND's used to have a walk through posted on their site so you can see for yourself before buying, but now they don't, and the time limit before you can get refunded is just to dam short!
  • Oh..... zip code, I was thinking a zipped file which made no sense whatsoever. No I'm not aware of anything to suggest. Maybe someone else will. Have you searched 'zip code' on here?
  • No, what I really need is someone that has the app. They would be able to answer my question in a second, it's very basic.
  • mvl 191 Points
    You could always just use Google maps. If you downgrade to version 6, you could send the results from Google maps to any navigation app for routing.

I use Google to say whatever I want for a destination, and it does a very good job of figuring out what I mean, then I send the result to Tomtom for their superior route selection.

You really can't beat that combo, Google is the best destination searcher out there, and couple it with Tomtom that is the best route chooser out there.
  • You could always just use Google maps. If you downgrade to version 6, you could send the results from Google maps to any navigation app for routing.

I use Google to say whatever I want for a destination, and it does a very good job of figuring out what I mean, then I send the result to Tomtom for their superior route selection.

You really can't beat that combo, Google is the best destination searcher out there, and couple it with Tomtom that is the best route chooser out there.
    That was one of my other questions! In the past it asked what app to send the address too. I guess these apps can't force it to happen. Damm Google!!

Don't want to go back though, just too many improvements.
  • mvl 191 Points
    That was one of my other questions! In the past it asked what app to send the address too. I guess these apps can't force it to happen. Damm Google!!

Don't want to go back though, just too many improvements.
    Google took away the ability to link results to 3rd party apps in maps v7. Remember, they make money from tracking you and personalizing advertising, so they will try to do whatever they can to keep you using their tools instead of competitors.
  • I wasn't able to find any useful info with Navigon, so I'm moving on to Tomtom. The videos show from California on, so I still don't know if you can start a search with a zip code, but their UI seems to be much better. You don't have to restart the app after taking a call, like I saw with Navigon, and the reviewer said that TomTom for Android was like a TT PND, unlike Navigon to Garmin.

They both are slow to boot, but at least TomTom doesn't restart when a call comes in. That also leaves you high and dry because you have no navigation at all when talking, some of my calls are for 30 minutes and better. That totally kills Navigon for me!