This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Smartphone Link - now works differently with Google Maps

I notice that the relatively recent redesign of Google Maps for Android changed the way it works with Garmin Smartphone Link.

Before the update an attempt to navigate somewhere in Google Maps used to pop up a selection menu asking whether I want to use Google Maps Navigator feature or send the destination to my Nuvi through Smartphone Link. It was also possible to assign Smartphone Link as the default handler of the "navigate" command in Google Maps, making it to always send location to Nuvi without asking any questions.

This is no longer the case. An attempt to navigate somewhere in Google Maps now immediately starts the Google Navigator.

It is still possible to send locations from Google Maps to Nuvi through Smartphone Link: the "Smartphone Link" option is present in "Share" menu. But it requires jumping through more hoops and making more clicks. I wonder if Garmin is planning to restore the former functionality, i.e. to intercept the "navigate" command in Google Maps. Maybe is is somehow possible already and I'm just missing something simple? Is there any information on that somewhere?

Comments

• Google Navigation is integrated into Maps V7 - there is no longer a separate Navigation app. So it isn't possible to send an address directly from Maps with Smartphone Link. As you found out, you must now use Share to do this.

You can still send locations directly to Smartphone Link from other apps such as People, Foursquare, Flixster, etc. :)
  • AndreyT 104 Points
    Things are actually worse than I originally thought. "Share" functionality does not work either.

For example, you said that I can send locations from People. No, I can't. It doesn't work. The only way to send locations from People is to ask the phone to show the map for the person's address and "Share" it from there through Smartphone Link.

When I do that, the phone obediently opens the Google Maps application and pinpoints the proper location on the map. After that I can open the bottom drawer of Maps app, hit the "Share" button and select "Smartphone Link". Unfortunately, this is immediately followed by an error message from Smartphone Link application, which says

"This location must be found on a map before navigation can occur. Select this location from a map and send to your Garmin navigator again."

Note that the location is successfully found and pinpointed on the map. However, the Smartphone Link always complains that the location is not found. In other words, the "Share" feature in the current version of Google Maps is also unsupported by Smartphone Link.

Basically, the primary functionality of Smartphone Link - the ability to send location data from the phone to the Garmin GPS - is currently broken, due to incompatibility between the latest version of Google Maps and Smartphone Link application. The app has to be updated. I hope Garmin does it soon.
  • Smartphone Link works fine for me with People and Maps. My phone is running Android 4.3, Maps 7.1.0, and Smartphone Link 1.5.1. My Nuvi is a 2595.

For People, touch the person's work or home address. Next, touch Smartphone Link in the "Complete action using" popup (mine shows Earth, Maps, Smartphone Link and Waze). Lastly, touch Just once at the bottom of the popup to send the address to your Garmin.

For Maps, when the address is found, touch the red pushpin. An address card will be displayed with two or three options - Call (if there's a phone #) Save and Share. Touch Share, then select Smartphone Link in the "Share via" popup.
  • AndreyT 104 Points
    For People, touch the person's work or home address. Next, touch Smartphone Link in the "Complete action using" popup (mine shows Earth, Maps, Smartphone Link and Waze). Lastly, touch Just once at the bottom of the popup to send the address to your Garmin.
    Well, I'm using HTC Sense ROM based on Android 4.0.3. The Address field in People is hardcoded to invoke Goggle Maps. There's no "Complete action using" popup. Just in case I went to app management and cleared defaults for Google Maps app, but it did not help.
    For Maps, when the address is found, touch the red pushpin. An address card will be displayed with two or three options - Call (if there's a phone #) Save and Share. Touch Share, then select Smartphone Link in the "Share via" popup.
    That's exactly what I'm doing. The result is a popup window that says

"This location must be found on a map before navigation can occur. Select this location from a map and send to your Garmin navigator again."

• Well, I'm using HTC Sense ROM based on Android 4.0.3. The Address field in People is hardcoded to invoke Goggle Maps. There's no "Complete action using" popup. Just in case I went to app management and cleared defaults for Google Maps app, but it did not help.
    Perhaps you could try Smartphone Link's Find Contacts instead...

[For Maps] That's exactly what I'm doing. The result is a popup window that says

Have you contacted Garmin support about this issue? Does it fail for all addresses?
  • AndreyT 104 Points

Well, I'm using HTC Sense ROM based on Android 4.0.3. The Address field in People is hardcoded to invoke Goggle Maps. There's no "Complete action using" popup. Just in case I went to app management and cleared defaults for Google Maps app, but it did not help.

Perhaps you could try Smartphone Link's
    Find Contacts instead...
    Well, you see, never in the history of Smartphone Link it had the ability to send addresses to the GPS unit. From the very beginning and to this day it could only send one thing: coordinates. Coordinates, coordinates and only coordinates. For this reason, in order to send any address from the smartphone to the GPS unit, we always had to locate it one the map first, determine its coordinates and then send these coordinates to the Garmin GPS unit.

With the new version of Google Maps, when you open the bottom drawer with the current address and click the "Share" button, Google Maps share the textual representation of the current address. This is exactly what triggers the error message I quoted before. Smartphone Link simply refuses to share the textual representation of the address. Smartphone Link wants coordinates. And Google Maps no longer provides it.

By now I tested four different phones with the newest Google Maps, including one with the most recent version of Android. All of them refuse to send locations through Smartphone Link with the very same error message. And the reason for that is what I described above.

The only hope here is that there might be some sort of setting in Google Maps that controls what exactly is shared for the current location when one hits the "Share" button: address or coordinates. But I haven't found it yet.

Smartphone Link's Find Contacts functionality does not work either. It simply says that it "cannot determine the contacts GPS location". It is a different error message, but it has the same underlying reason: Smartphone Link cannot send addresses, only coordinates. It attempts to convert address to coordinates by calling Google Maps API under the hood. But the new Google Maps is no longer compatible with Smartphone Link, so the whole thing just fails.
    Have you contacted Garmin support about this issue?
    I will,after a few more experiments. As I said above, I just want to make sure that I'm not missing some simple option in Google Maps that could make everything work as before.
    Does it fail for all addresses?
    Yes, so far I haven't found a single one that's work.
  • I found the way you can send locations from mobile google maps to garmin thru smartphone link. lately mobile google maps been sending wrong locations to garmins thru smartphone link like 1000's miles away. First find the location in mobile google maps them try to zoom in the location you want to send it garmin. Then press and hold on the very next to location red icon for one or two second and you will get new red icon very next to your location on google maps. Then same as usual just tap on the new red icon then you will get few options and tap on share and choose smartphone link. bingo
  • WAASup 86 Points
    Upgraded to Google Maps 7.3.0 (from 7.1.0), and now places sent from Google Maps have incorrect coordinates.

Happens with Smartphone Link 1.5.1 or the newer 1.6 version. Tested with both V7.90 and V8.10 firmware on my 2595.
  • Actually if you send address it works fine but if you send for example macy's or any other locations with multiple locations Then it won't work. You have to press and hold very next to red bubble (must be on street or road) You will have new red bubble on Google maps then press share.. and pick smart phone link then send. It's like you just going to next door to your desired destination.
  • WAASup 86 Points
    Thanks dashing501 for clarifying that it occurs when there are multiple locations for a place name. But it also happens with addresses too... if I search for 1 Yonge St Google Maps displays the address near me in Toronto, while Smartphone Link picks the one in Atlanta...
  • AndreyT 104 Points
    Exactly. I recently updated my Smartphone Link software and now it looks like it is finally capable to send data to Nuvi.

However, it is still broken in a completely different way. When I look for some business on Google Maps and then attempt to send its location to Nuvi through Smartphone Link, Garmin's program displays an additional map with the location pinpointed on it. But in many cases the location is completely incorrect. It looks like Garmin's program searches the business again by name in Garmin's database. If some business is missing from Garmin's database, that map will find another location with the same name, completely unrelated to the original location on Google Maps. If a business with such name does not exist in Garmin's database at all, then Garmin's program will simply display an empty map.

This is just ridiculous! This completely defeats the whole purpose of location sharing through Smartphone Link! The whole purpose of this feature is to use Google Maps to find locations/addresses/businesses that are missing from Garmin database and then send them to Nuvi as plain geographic coordinates. This is how it used to work, and it worked very well.

But now Garmin filters location names through their own database, which makes location sharing through Smartphone Link completely useless. What are they thinking? Who's writing these programs for Garmin? This is just beyond laughable...
  • wimbollen 0 Points
    1- make sure Gmaps to send coordinates (zoom in to the max next to your target location)
    2- share to Smartphone link and SEND to your Garmin GPS
    3- if error, disconnect Blue Tooth connection, send location again. Reconnect Blue Tooth
    4- worked for me
    5- ridiculous and broken for sure. Knowing Garmin they will fix some day in the future. Google will not change anything.