This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Itinerary Planning with TomTom 910

birdy176 0 Points
edited November -1 in TomTom Car Forum
Need advice on how to program a route to one destination via several waypoints. Choosing "fastest" or "shortest" route is constantly overruled in favor of routes that disregard the waypoints I am plugging in.

As an example, a route from Oregon to Arizona was laid out via Nebraska, tripling the distance. Another one (shortest!) routed me over forest roads that are locked to the public.

I prefer getting e-mail help via the TT help-line so as to have a written record, but they don't respond. I have not insisted on getting phone help since their line is constantly busy.

Comments

• Tim 1480 Points
    I'm not sure what might be wrong with your device or perhaps with your input method, but my TomTom 910 worked flawlessly putting in lots of vias and still using fastest and shortest methods between. It allowed me to create completely custom routes regardless of the original way it wanted me to route.

I recently drove from Florida to Maine and used a TomTom (and a few others) for the entire trip. There were about six or seven places where the default TomTom route didn't take me where I wanted to go. I setup the whole thing ahead of time with the Itinerary feature and got the whole thing in ahead of time. I didn't have to touch the GPS for any operations during the 1,600 mile trip except to turn it on and off and to switch back and forth from day/night modes.
  • Tim:

Thanks for your remarks. I finally got them on the phone, only a 15 minue wait. It's supposed to get better as they're training new techies.

Was told that I need to order the new map DVD under their program but that's not the trouble. I am not able to get the waypoints to stick and therefore the device gives me the route it deems best.

As you said, my method is at fault but after putting in all the info, I don't know how to download it, both in TT Home as well as the device. I get stymied when clicking "done" after the route is complete but don't know how save it properly.

Any advice?

Also, when I first dock to Home, all the maps are read with something called "Adobe Photo Downloader" by default. Was told get rid of. I am not aware of such a program (I thought it came with the TT installation disk) and am at a loss where it's located. A search reveals nothing nor are there any other files but Adobe Reader.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    I haven't run their map update DVD myself so at this point I can't give any specific instructions. Not being able to get the waypoints to save doesn't seem like a map update problem to me, FWIW.

I think I recall at one point I was having trouble getting vias in Itineraries to save. Turns out I had a corrupt file in there. Once I deleted the existing Itinerary manually everything worked fine again. It has been a couple of years since that happened so I'm afraid I can't recall many more specifics if that is also what is happening to you.
  • Tim, your last paragraph makes me wonder if I have a corrupted file. How can I bring everything back to factory conditions, eg. clean the hard drive and re-install everything? Whatever back-ups I made can't be reliable.

I cannot delete itineraries nor waypoints, either with TT Home or on the device.

My DVD came in a paper sleeve and I have no idea where the 15-digit product code can be found so that I can order the latest maps. I know that whatever version I have now has no bearing on my problems.

The only benefit I got from my call to TT was that I got rid of the Adobe Downloader but now I get no information when docked.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    Tim, your last paragraph makes me wonder if I have a corrupted file. How can I bring everything back to factory conditions, eg. clean the hard drive and re-install everything? Whatever back-ups I made can't be reliable.
    I haven't done that in awhile and don't have a TomTom like yours to test with at the moment. However (going from my memory) I think I allowed the TomTom to mount as an external HD. I opened up the drive and found a folder in there (along with the other map folders) called "itn". I opened that folder and deleted everything in it. Then I disconnected the drive and restarted the TomTom.
  • Tim, as you said, my method was flawed in that I laid out a route and punched "Done" - which is the norm in "computerese". I didn't realize that "Options-Save" is required to nail it down in the memory.

Re. setting a waypoint - a feature universal to most brands - how can I escape being sent into downtown of a large city that's merely a point to hinge the route on?

My temp. solution is to find a hamlet just before and also beyond the waypoint on the assumption that the 29-1/2 people there all live on my route which to them is "Main Street". It works if the burg is recognized by the device but requires an atlas, an oxymoron considering why we use a GPS device.

Would like to hear a better way.

I also found out that the TomTom installation DVD self-destructed after it was loaded on the computer. Piracy paranoia at its best.

Now I may never have to spend money on a new computer unless I remove the old HD. :P
  • Tim 1480 Points
    Re. setting a waypoint - a feature universal to most brands - how can I escape being sent into downtown of a large city that's merely a point to hinge the route on?
    I will either use the map to click on a point to add to the route or just find the highway I'll be traveling on and add the intersection of that highway and another street along my desired route.
  • Tim, I appreciate your reply.
  • I haven't done that in awhile and don't have a TomTom like yours to test with at the moment. However (going from my memory) I think I allowed the TomTom to mount as an external HD. I opened up the drive and found a folder in there (along with the other map folders) called "itn". I opened that folder and deleted everything in it. Then I disconnected the drive and restarted the TomTom.
    I have not been able to find such a folder in order to search out the ".itn" files.

I followed your advice of using the map and cursor for marking way points but it works only on the device and not in TT Home.

How do you mark a number of these points for a long route without having to go back to the map, scroll and magnify for each one separately? It's tedious and there has to be a way to mark them on ONE map view and then saving them.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    I followed your advice of using the map and cursor for marking way points but it works only on the device and not in TT Home.
    I was able to get this to work the same way using TomTom HOME. I used my cursor to click on the map where I wanted to insert a "via". Then I clicked the icon that looks like a diamond (blue square at 45 deg angle, just like blinking shape when you click on the map). Then you can add it as a "via", add it as a favorite, etc.

What I would do is look at the map, figure out where I needed to alter the route, click on that location, then add it as a favorite. Then go back and edit the itinerary, adding that favorite as a stop or destination. That way if I messed up my itinerary I could more quickly go back in and add those points from the favorites.
  • Thanks, Tim,

I had been doing that successfully but my question was: When I want to mark a number of these waypoints, I have to do so singly for each, e.g., mark it with blue cursor - Options - which then brings me back to my home location - thumb through the menus to get back to maps - seach for the proper place on the route with a lot of moving the scren and zooming - and then marking the next one - ad nauseum.

BTW: Trip Planning will not work (at least for me...) on TT Home.

Each time I check - even after I have saved it - it shows a fast route without regard to the programmed way points. Yet, after disconnecting the device and doing the steps described above, destination and points are correctly saved to the HD.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    I'm not sure what you mean by "trip planning will not work". Do you mean creating an Itinerary? If so then yes, if you are not loading the itinerary then it will just take the starting and destination points. The Itinerary needs to be saved with the waypoints and then loaded in order for it to work.

Are you following something similar to this?
  • Tim, thank you!

Yes, my saved route looks exactly like those examples but I find, that I cannot make up addional independent routes without wiping it out, or?

I printed the pages and added them as pages 23a,,b,c to the 80-page online manual.

Now if you could link me to "How to delete unwanted routes" or something similar, I would be rid of one more difficulty.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    Yes, my saved route looks exactly like those examples but I find, that I cannot make up addional independent routes without wiping it out, or?
    Yes, you should be able to do that. You would go to 'Itinerary Planning' --> 'Options' --> 'Save Itinerary' to save the itinerary you currently have for later use. Then go back to 'Itinerary Planning' --> 'Options' --> 'New Itinerary' to create a new Itinerary without wiping out the old one. You can save the additional itineraries too for future use.
  • Thanks again, Tim. The "New Itinerary" was the key. What put me off was the inquiry if I "wanted to delete the other routes", or some such offer and one has to say "Yes".

I am still left with this vexing problem: Since there is no choice "Choose your own route...", when I design way points as you suggested previously, they show up nicely but a view of the route map ignores them and depicts either fastest or shortest.

As a consequence, even the turn-by-turn list is true only to the device's own route. In other words, I cannot successfully impose my own longer and/or more desirable route because the screen offers no choice that would allow that.

I have even tried "driving" it at 50 miles p/h. This goes for TT Home as well as the device itself.
  • Thanks again, Tim. The "New Itinerary" was the key. What put me off was the inquiry if I "wanted to delete the other routes", or some such offer and one has to say "Yes".

I am still left with this vexing problem: Since there is no choice "Choose your own route...", when I design way points as you suggested previously, they show up nicely but a view of the route map ignores them and depicts either fastest or shortest.

As a consequence, even the turn-by-turn list is true only to the device's own route. In other words, I cannot successfully impose my own longer and/or more desirable route because the screen offers no choice that would allow that.

I have even tried "driving" it at 50 miles p/h. This goes for TT Home as well as the device itself.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    Since there is no choice "Choose your own route...", when I design way points as you suggested previously, they show up nicely but a view of the route map ignores them and depicts either fastest or shortest.
    It sounds like you might still not be doing something quite right. Can you describe what you mean by "they show up nicely"? What do the waypoints look like on the screen?

After building the itinerary, you would click 'done' and then it should ask you if you want to navigate to the first destination in your itinerary, loading any of the waypoints in between.
  • Tim, I checked for means to insert a screen print but will use my descriptive powers:

It's an "Itineray" screen that shows two goal posts for the destination along the left screen side and above that the yellow down-arrows and names for each of the way points created by pointing to the map.

The bottom "command" line has , l-r, Options, Add, Done.

"Options" allows to Save, Add lets me add/change way points and Done asks if I want to "Navigate there now".

When I go to Main Map 2 - Browse map - I get a different route map to the destination from what I planned.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    Okay, that sounds good. What are you using for waypoints? City centers, street addresses, POIs, favorites?
  • I open the map and point at intersections where I want to turn into a different direction and then click on the blue diamond. I make a point at each change of routes, whether there happens to be a locality or not.

City centers cause big delays since I want to go around them. The only time I use a precise address is for the destination.

I don't use POIs or favorites. If the latter were to solve my problem, I could do so, however.

If I lived in your area and wanted to go from Hartford to New Haven, I would let the device take the fasted or even shortest route, probably I-91 all the way.

But what if I wanted to go south via routes 9 and then 17 and 77 down to a scenic drive? That's where my system fails me and the way points indicating the deviation from I-91 would never be accepted. Of course, you would probably be able to get it right and if so, please give me the steps.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    If I lived in your area and wanted to go from Hartford to New Haven, I would let the device take the fasted or even shortest route, probably I-91 all the way.
    The process you described above sounds correct, and sounds like it should work.

Here are the steps I took to recreate the route in your scenario above. I'm doing this in TomTom HOME so I can set my location to start in Hartford.

From TomTom HOME I clicked on my GPS from the 'More' section of the Options menu on the left. I then clicked on the simulated 'On' button to connect to my TomTom.

Once my TomTom was started up within TomTom HOME I clicked on the 'Set current location' button at the bottom of the TomTom HOME application. Then on the TomTom HOME window simulating my GPS I clicked on 'Address' --> 'City Center' --> typed in 'Hartford CT' --> clicked on 'Hartford CD' from the search results.

This takes me back to the 3D map in the center of Hartford. I click on the Map to go to the Main Menu, click the arrow twice to go to Main Menu page 3, and clicked on 'Itinerary planning'.

I click 'Add' --> 'Address' --> 'City Center' --> type in 'New Haven CT' --> and click on 'New Haven CT' from the search results. This brings me back to the Itinerary and I click 'Done' so I can checkout the route. It asks me if I want to go to New Haven and I click Yes, and select the 'Fastest Route'.

As you mentioned, it will primarily route me straight down 91. I click on 'Details' from the Route Summary, and then clicked on 'Browse map of route'.

I scroll in towards where Route 9 is just south of where it intersects with 84. I click on Route 9. The first time I clicked on Route 9 the cursor location said "9 NB" meaning I clicked on a Northbound lane. I didn't want that so I zoomed in a little closer and clicked on a Southbound lane. Once I've selected "9 SB" just south of the intersection of 84 I click the cursor button which takes me to the "Cursor Position" menu.

I click on 'Add as Favorite' so that I could go back and add it into the Itinerary later. I called it '1st bypass Rt 9', then clicked 'Done'. Now I am taken back to the overhead map and I can see the star where my favorite is. I click 'Done' again to close the map and then click 'Done' again to close the 'View route' window.

I click on the 3D map to go to the menu, go to the third menu and go back to Itinerary Planning. I click 'Add' --> 'Favorite' --> '1st bypass rt 9'. The order is now incorrect, so I click on '1st bypass rt 9' --> 'Move item up'. I also want that to be a waypoint, not a destination so I click on '1st bypass rt 9' again and click 'Mark as waypoint'.

I click 'Done' --> 'Yes' where it asks to go to New Haven, 'Fastest', and then 'Done'. I can now see the new route with the first bypass. We need more bypasses so I click on 'Details' --> 'Browse map of route' --> and zoom in.

This time I zoom in towards Middletown, CT. I click on Route 17, just south of where it intersects with route 9. I click on the cursor button, --> 'Add as Favorite', --> title it '2nd bypass rt 17' and click 'Done'.

I click 'Done' again to close the map view and 'Done' once more to close the View Route menu. I click on the 3D map to open the menu, go to the third page, and select 'Itinerary Planning'. I click 'Add' --> 'Favorite' --> '2nd bypass rt 17', and now it shows in the Itinerary. I click on '2nd bypass rt 17', 'Move item up', click on '2nd bypass rt 17 again, and select 'Mark as waypoint'. Finally I click 'Done', 'Yes' for navigating to New Haven, 'Fastest Route', 'Done'.

Now I see the route summary and I click 'Details', 'Browse map of route', and zoom in towards Guilford Ct. Now I click on rt 77 just north of where it intersects with 95. I click the cursor button, 'Add as favorite', title it '3rd bypass rt 77', and click 'Done'.

I click Done twice more to go back to the 3D map, then click on the map to go to the main menu. Now I go to the third page and select 'Itinerary Planning'. I click 'Add', 'Favorite', select the third bypass, move it up one spot in the order, and convert/mark it into a waypoint. I click 'Done'. Yes, navigate now, Fastest, and then look at the map.

Now it still wants to go down one section of 91 instead of going all the way down 77. So I click 'details', 'browse map of route', and zoom into an area between the 2nd and third favorites I created.

Just west of where Rockland CT is marked I click on Rt 77. Click the cursor button, add as favorite, and I call it 2.5 bypass 77.2. Done, Done, Done, menu, third page, Itinerary planning, add, favorite, 2.5 bypass 77, move it up one spot on the list, and convert it from a destination to a waypoint.

Now 'Done', 'Yes', 'Fastest', 'Done'. I look at the summary of the route, and it looks good for the scenic route. For good measure I go back to Itinerary planning, select 'Options' and save the itinerary.
  • Tim,

Thank you for this great lesson in "how to...". Am glad that I was able to find a route that you could identify with. I printed your post to hard copy - as I have done with all your other helpful answers.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    Am glad that I was able to find a route that you could identify with.
    Actually I've only been to Hartford a couple of times.... both times just driving through down 84 and never stopped. I've never been on any of those roads, but I'm pretty good with maps. ;)
  • Only the "map browser" and "blue diamond".

"City center" only when I can be sure that I am not led into a congested downton area.