This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

2555 vs 2557

I've decided to get my first Garmin. I'm currently looking at the 2555LMT and the 2557LMT.

May I ask, is there a significant difference in the 2557 to justify the added $70 US? I've been impressed with both units.

Thanks!

Comments

• t923347 432 Points
    Although I only see a $20 difference in the price between the 2557LMT and the 2555LMT it appears that basically the only difference is that the 2555 is a year older (a 2012 model) and the 2557 has Garmin's new Real Directions with Garmin Real Voice which is a personal preference thing.

I got the prices from the Garmin website:

2557LMT
    https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-road/automotive/new-2013/nuvi-2557lmt/prod122514.html

2555LMT
    https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-road/automotive/previous models/nuvi-2555lmt/prod101881.html
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    I believe that the 2555 supports custom dashboards and the 2557 does not.

Typically, support for advanced pedestrian mode and CityXplorer was dropped from the xxx7 series also.
  • I believe that the 2555 supports custom dashboards and the 2557 does not.

Typically, support for advanced pedestrian mode and CityXplorer was dropped from the xxx7 series also.
    I also see the 2555 has 3D traffic, and an audio book player,
    the 2557 does not have either.

So you may choose to pay 20.00 more to get a newer model with Garmin's new Real Directions with Garmin Real Voice, or spend 20.00 less and get 4 more features. My choice would be the 2455LMT.
  • Thanks, all! The price difference was per Amazon and Best Buy.

The issue with Real Voice was one major sticking point. I'm not sure whether this would be a great thing to have. Also, I'll have to check on the 3D Traffic as well.

I've been using TomTom and have been quite unhappy with my GO unit. I'll have to look into the units a bit. The audio player is one feature that I really don't need.

Thanks for the help. I'm quite in the dark on the differences between the Garmin units!

Regards, Bill.
  • One difference, I believe:

The 2557 shows the street you're currently on, while the 2555 does not, correct?

If so, that is enough to make me choose the 57.

Thanks!
  • t923347 432 Points
    That is correct. With a destination entered the 2557 will display your next turn in the bar at the top of the map screen and the street your on on the bottom of that screen.

There isn't any different in the Traffic feature between to 2 units. It's just Garmin changing the name of the Traffic feature all the time. See http://www8.garmin.com/traffic/ and you'll see the Garmin Traffic was formally known as 3D Traffic. The features on the older 2555 call it 3D Traffic which is now Garmin Traffic on the newer 2557.
  • Thanks t9!

Looks like Garmin has sold a 2557! I'm interested to see how it compares to my GO Live.

Given the experiences I've had with my TomTom of late, I don't think it'll be much of a challenge! :)

Thanks again, Bill.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    One other difference comes to mind, FWIW. The 2555 allows you to enter your own speed limits for roads that don't have them or for errors that you find. Garmin dropped this feature in 2013.
  • Thanks, Boyd!

The deciding factor for me is the present-street identifier. On my recent trip through NC, I had to travel two highways with but one number difference (a la NC 73 and 74, 85 and 95). The fact that I could look at the screen and remember which one I was on (getting old is the pits! :) ) helped on the unfamiliar turf.

I can't WAIT to see how this 2557 compares to my GO Live.

That thing has given me no end of problems with locking up, suddenly shutting down (it did that on my trip, cutting off right before a major highway intersection!), and TomTom's endless problems with their software. When it works, it's great. But it's like putting your eggs in a basket made of toilet tissue...

Thanks again for all the help.
  • Zemartelo 207 Points
    One other difference comes to mind, FWIW. The 2555 allows you to enter your own speed limits for roads that don't have them or for errors that you find. Garmin dropped this feature in 2013.
    Boyd Im pretty sure the 2555 does not allow that. :wink:
    You might be thinking of the 2455.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Looks like you're right. Garmin's mix of features is bewildering. I thought that all the advanced/prestige 2012 units had this feature but evidently not.

https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={f06b0180-d876-11e0-cf56-000000000000}
    Within the current automotive range, the following devices allow the speed limit to be corrected:

nuvi 2200 series
    nuvi 2300 series
    nuvi 2400 series
    nuvi 3400 series
    nuvi 3500 series
    LIVE 2300 series
    dezl 560
  • Another point to consider but unfortunately that is hidden is that the 2555 only has 4GB of memory. Dont know if the 2557 comes with 4Gb or 8Gb.

With the current map version the unit does not have enough room to take the full US+Canada maps.