This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Bypassing highways.

rbodnieks 0 Points
edited November -1 in GPS Recommendations
I have a Garmin Nuvi 8595 and need some advise.
If I plot a route from home to say an address in Newmarket the Garmin plots out a route using the major highways when there are perfectly good paved back roads that are both shorter and less time consuming.

For example getting a route from Peterborough, On to Newmarket, ON the plotted route will take Hwy 115 to 401 to 404 and arrive in Newmarket. There is a much better route on paved back roads.

Can anybody help me.

Comments

• Sorry it is a Garmin 5555
  • dhn 336 Points
    I know many TomTom models have an option for route type including Fastest, Shortest, etc.

For example, just tested your route using Shortest (and avoid unpaved roads) on a TomTom here. From city centre to city centre was 108 km and 1.51 hrs. using roads like 7B, Ski Hill Road, Fleetwood Road, #5, Hwy 7A, Scugog Line, Hwy 8, etc.

Never used 401 or 404.

Does your Garmin have such a planning option?
  • First thanks for the reply. Will check my machine.
  • sussamb 813 Points
    Sorry it is a Garmin 5555
    Do you mean 2555?

There should be a 'shortest' option in routing, you could try that.
  • Sorry but yes it is 2555. Thanks for reply. Haven't had a chance to check options yet but hopefully this week after work once I have time.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Try Settings > Navigation > Avoidances. There should be a box you can check to avoid highways. The exact menu location might be different on some models, but it should be there. See how that works. I have found that it doesn't always do what you expect however.

Also see if your model has a Custom Avoidances menu item. This gives you the option to avoid specific roads, so you could select the highways you don't want to use. Again, it may not always do what you want.

Either way, there will be some times when you don't want to avoid those highways, and then you'll need to go back into the menus and disable the avoidance(s).
  • Thank you for the advice. Will do it at first opportunity.
  • sussamb 813 Points
    If your 2555 is like my 2508 then it will have the custom avoidances mentioned by Boyd. Not played with that yet and can't really see a need for it for my use :)
  • Ramaprem 112 Points
    A general warning regarding using the shortest route option:
    it could work for you under some circumstances, but is totally absurd for many trips. It, perhaps, works best in a city. It is best - in general - to choose the fastest time.

If the shortest route is chosen, the route will leave highways in order to "cut corners". You won't believe how complicated and longer such a route will/can be.
  • oldzy 0 Points
    Similar for me going north from Burlington way. Always wants to route through QEW/427 at Ford Drive to get back to 401, but I don't know anyone that goes that route (unless going to Etobicoke perhaps)
  • privet01 221 Points
    I have an old nuvi 205w and also use both basecamp and MapSource. With all of them, I find it hard sometimes to get my route to use the specific roads I want to travel. I'm sure it's because the road just doesn't match any of the filters, but it's annoying none the less that there isn't some sort of override you can do to make that an exception. But to my knowledge there isn't, other than numerous via points or shaping points.

On one section of the Natchez trace between Lorman and Natchez, I have to put via points between every exit, or else it will try to route me to HWY 61, which I admit, is a better, shorter, faster way to go, but I want to ride the relaxed speed of the Trace.

GPS's can be great when you don't know how to get where you want to go, but I find them a pain when I do know where I want to go. So mine is always "recalculating" :D