This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Editing a track montana 600

Is it possible to take portions of one track and add them to another track. I am trying to map some atv trails and each time I go out I find new trails. Eventually I want to add them all together and have one map of all of them in my local area.

Comments

• sussamb 792 Points
    You can edit/connect tracks using Garmin's free Basecamp program:

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4435

There are some introductory videos here:

http://www8.garmin.com/learningcenter/training/basecamp/
  • I have the newest version of basecamp, but can`t figure out how to use it, I will check out that intro video.
  • Track Edit in BaseCamp

First make a Test Folder under My Collection Folder and make a New list under the Test Folder you just made rename the list Test Tracks

Click on the track to edit.
    Then right click on the track in the folder list that you have it in and click on Duplicate.
    Then copy the Duplicate file to the Test Tracks Folder to edit it there.

If you don't use this method it will delete the track you are working on in other folders or your saved track on your map.

Joining Tracks In BaseCamp

You can join two or more tracks into one continuous track.
    Tracks must be going in the same direction before joining -- Double click on track in the list and click Invert at the bottom.
    Hold Ctrl on your keyboard, and select two or more tracks.
    Select Advanced -- Join Selected Tracks
  • Lets say I have a track and I have gone up and down a trail and there are 2 overlapping lines, how do I erase the overlapping lines without erasing and of the single lines?
  • sussamb 792 Points
    Use the 'split track' tool to split the track then delete the one you don't want :wink:
  • I can't find "split track" did you mean "divide"
  • sussamb 792 Points
    Same difference ... yes :wink:
  • Is it possible to take portions of one track and add them to another track. I am trying to map some atv trails and each time I go out I find new trails. Eventually I want to add them all together and have one map of all of them in my local area.
    Another method would be to keep all the track segments separate and build up a master GPX file which then is easily converted to a transparent overlay map. You can choose the colour/shape/size etc of the track and view it over City Navigator, Topo, etc with the ability to switch it ON/OFF in Map Setup.

Check out the ATV/Quad Forum on GPS Exchange website and look at the Ontario ATV Maps. The ATV community submit tracks, MVN collects them, and I convert them to a Garmin-compatible map.

Seems to work very well.

Bob