This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

GPS That Pronounces English Well

mike rivers 0 Points
edited November -1 in GPS Recommendations
I've had a Tom Tom XL series for a few years now, and it's time for a map update. Given that most new GPSs cost as much as a map update (and now include free updates), I've thought about replacing it. I don't have a smart phone and I wouldn't want to use one full time as a GPS anyway, so I'm hoping that the industry hasn't completely died or stagnated.

I like the Tom Tom (it's my second one) but one thing that bugs me is that I have a hard time understanding its speech. It can't even recognizably pronounce "Los Angeles" (and I even tried switching the language to Spanish, but it still uses the same tools to construct a word).

So is there any progress here?

Comments

• privet01 221 Points
    I can't say for sure, but I never had any trouble understanding my 2009 Nuvi 205w. Though the voice commands got turned off within a few weeks, as I couldn't stand the constant commands to "turn around" or "recalculating" because I want to go my way instead of the way it wants to go. :D
  • I can't say for sure, but I never had any trouble understanding my 2009 Nuvi 205w.
    I can usually understand what my GPS is saying if I know what to expect it to say. But it it doesn't seem to know that there's such a think as a word with more than two syllables.

Typically I turn off the sound until I get to where I really need it. It hate it when they say "Recalculating." Fortunately my TomTom doesn't do that. But it does get mighty insistent about me going ITS way. When I'm driving from Washington to New York and taking as much of I-295 as I can before going to the New Jersey Turnpike, I can get better than half the length of that stretch of 295 before it stops telling me to take the next exit (and get on the Turnpike) and finally accepts that it's possible to get there the way I'm going.

I'd really like to have a GPS that's easy to tell it to use another route, but with mine, and a couple of others that I've used, you can't just say "take I-295," and if I say to go via an on-the-way city, it insists in taking me into the city, not around it.

But that's a different problem.
  • privet01 221 Points

I'd really like to have a GPS that's easy to tell it to use another route, but with mine, and a couple of others that I've used, you can't just say "take I-295," and if I say to go via an on-the-way city, it insists in taking me into the city, not around it.

But that's a different problem.
    I'm with you on that. I haven't been happy with routing, that's why mines always recalculating. I too have the issue of it wanting to take me through the city instead of the obvious 6 or 8 lane loop that goes around it. And trying to create my own routes on the gps, in MapSource, Basecamp or even Google Earth just don't work for me. I guess my routing pref's are just too unconventional or I'm not willing to devote enough time to the menial tasks I have to go through to make it work.
  • mvl 191 Points
    Tomtom had bugs in their 2011 and earlier maps causing mispronunciation of roads and cities in the Southwestern USA.

They have fixed this in current maps, so you should no longer have this problem if you upgrade your map or buy another Tomtom.
  • Tomtom had bugs in their 2011 and earlier maps causing mispronunciation of roads and cities in the Southwestern USA.

They have fixed this in current maps, so you should no longer have this problem if you upgrade your map or buy another Tomtom.
    Good to know that they've fixed something, but the problem isn't limited to Southwestern US. It doesn't even know how to pronounce "highway" in a normally recognizable way.

I did see and implemented a fix for a problem (which I first discovered when navigating around Los Angeles) where it pronounced "zero" as "dub-you," as in Highway 101.

Several years ago, you could upload a route from Map Quest to a TomTom, but that went away, and apparently it only works with the Garmin operating system now. I wonder if Garmins are any good these days.
  • Tomtom had bugs in their 2011 and earlier maps causing mispronunciation of roads and cities in the Southwestern USA.

Since updates for a device more than a couple of years old are few and far between, but I connected my 340XL up to get the latest user map corrections and lo and behold, there was a new software version! I backed up the unit and let it install the new software. When I took it out for a drive the next day just locally, my impression was that it was indeed doing a better job at pronunciation with the new software.

When I looked what was new in that version, it made reference to resolving some problems with pronunciation of non-English names. I'm sure it didn't fix everything, but every little bit helps me put off the decision of what to replace it with.