This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Garmin supplying SD cards!

I ordered - from Amazon - a nuvi 3597. It arrived with a microSD card in the bay. Thought it strange, but I ignored it for the moment.

I then went to download and install the latest map - the full EU one. A message popped up, saying that the map was too large for the device - and I could do one of three things:
1. remove some files that were not needed (What? Really? How do you know what I need and do not need? Who do you think you are, anyway? So why are they there in the first place, huh?)
2. place the overflow on an SD card
3. install only one "region" of the EU (they apparently come in regions now)

Now I'm really thinking "strange". I assumed that the device was "pre-owned", had extra files on it installed by its former owner, and - as it happens - couldn't get a region installed regardless. I chose the third option: to install only one region - but it never finished.
I sent the unit back to Amazon, requesting another - an exchange - claiming that the unit was "used" and defective. Defective because I couldn't get my selected region to install (and still don't know quite why). And used - in my mind - because there was a card in the bay, and the unit seemed to have extra files on it.

The new unit arrived with an SD card in the bay. Hell-oo!
Now I'm assuming that Garmin has recognized that the current EU map is too large to be installed on a brand-new device, even one containing that map (of 3 months ago). And that they are supplying a 4GB microSD card with some units.

Surprise.
Get your free microSD card today, folks.

Comments

• Boyd 1985 Points

Get your free microSD card today, folks.
    "Free" when you buy a $200 GPS? :twisted:
  • BAVC10 81 Points
    The Nuvi 3597 / 3598 in Europe come with a Micro sd card as standard due to the file size
  • One would thing the 3597 Euro model would come with 8GB internal memory. Since the full Euromap is 3GB plus, one would think the remainder of the accompanying files would still fit on an 8GB unit.
    Did you buy the unit from Amazon in the states or Amazon covering Germany?

If using Windows Explorer, have you checked the memory capacity of the 3597 and free space available?

I would certainly be disappointed getting a brand new unit that could not accommodate my first map update and having to rely on an SD card.
  • Ramaprem 112 Points
    "The Nuvi 3597 / 3598 in Europe come with a Micro sd card as standard due to the file size"
    That certainly seems to be the case; it is, however, unadvertised - so it comes as quite a surprise.

"I would certainly be disappointed getting a brand new unit that could not accommodate my first map update and having to rely on an SD card."
    I am; I also don't understand it.

"If using Windows Explorer, have you checked the memory capacity of the 3597 and free space available?"
    I don't use Windows or that browser - but don't need to for this.

"One would thing the 3597 Euro model would come with 8GB internal memory."
    It does.
    The unit has 8GB internal memory. So I don't understand not having enough internal storage capacity for an update to a map which has a file-size far, far less than 8GB. It is about 3GB, isn't it?
    What am I missing? Or what is not working properly?

The unit was purchased from Amazon Germany, with the full 45-country map of Europe pre-installed. And needing an SD card in order to update to the current map.

The unit has, at present, the updated map with almost no capacity left. I - the second time around - chose to delete files not needed, in order to install the map update. Not that I know what files they are!

By the way, this is all relating to the first unit received. I haven't returned it yet; I'm still playing with it. The replacement is untouched - except to notice that there is an SD card in it, also.

I had to make an overnight trip to Switzerland yesterday, so I (field) tested that first unit. It certainly works properly. And, by the way, the verbal instructions are remarkably improved.

By the way, I'm not getting e-mail notifications of topics to which I am subscribed - including this very topic!
    Is anyone else having this issue?
    Is there a "cure" for this?
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    What am I missing? Or what is not working properly?
    The 3xxx series has a number of additional features in addition to the map that require storage. A couple of these are quite large.

3d buildings
    3d terrain
    junction view
    voice recognition

Not having an EU device, I don't know your file sizes, but you can easily check by connecting the unit to any computer - you don't need Windows or a Browser - a Mac or linux machine can show you the contents of the Nuvi internal memory. You may need to enable mass storage mode and use a trick to show hidden files. This is discussed in our FAQ about backing up the Nuvi.

I never use e-mail notifications myself, but will ask Tim if he is aware of any problems.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    By the way, I'm not getting e-mail notifications of topics to which I am subscribed
    Known issue, I'm working on it.
  • Ramaprem 112 Points
    "Known issue, I'm working on it."
    Thanks, Tim: you've worked it - and I got a wheelbarrow full of notifications.

The folder .System on the 3597 is 7.2GB in size.
    One of the files is 3.5GB in size. Some others are quite large. So it all adds up to an almost completely full 8GB of internal storage.
    And since I chose the "delete unnecessary files" option for the 2014.30 map update, I would be over the 8GB if everything was installed.

It's disconcerting that a new device out-of-the-box cannot hold the first update to its map. But it's not a deal-breaker for me.

I was more-or-less playing with the first of the two devices that I received. Now I know what I can do regarding map updates.

The simple fact is that I will be using an SD card in any case, since I will be installing the full map for North America on a card. So that card can hold the NA map and any other files that won't fit internally. I've already purchased an 8GB card for that purpose.

Another perfectly acceptable solution is to install only one region of Europe. I could chose one which would meet all my driving needs. I will never drive to many of the mapped countries. I've never heard of some of them! And if I ever need to, I could install the full map.
  • You may want to consider deleting some voice files to free up space.
    The 3797 uses new TTS3 voices that are quite large in size, probably double the size of earlier premium units. Some may exceed 30MB each.

If Garmin wants to add all these new memory hungry features, then they should increase the size of the internal memory. Memory these days is inexpensive. The consumer should not have to be inconvenienced to do map updates with their products.
  • sussamb 813 Points
    You could argue that for cameras, mobile (cell) phones etc. All come with minimal memory with manufacturers depending on consumers to add more. It's just the way it is it seems :)
  • Ramaprem 112 Points
    @willyboy

Regarding the TTS3 files:
    I have only 3 installed: 2 English and 1 German. Others - TTS3 or earlier - are truly not needed. So those 3 files are not taking a big bite out of memory.
    And one of the things that I am appreciating most from this new model is the voice and verbal instructions. They are superior - and I won't do anything to negate them.

I totally agree with your points in the last paragraph.
    But - as I said - I'll be using an SD card regardless, for the City Navigator NA map. So it, for me, is not a big deal.

I was hoping to have the NA map on an SD card that did not have to be in the slot "permanently"; my first choice would be to install the NA map on an SD card - and keep that card in my desk until I travel to NA!
    So much for idealism.

And thanks for the suggestion.

By the way, one thing that is not appreciated in this new model:
    It has a different kind of screen than earlier models. Wearing Polarized sunglasses reduces the brightness of the screen. That is a big disappointment.
    That was not the case with the 3590.

On my trip yesterday from Switzerland, I experimented with dealing with that drawback. I used the night colors exclusively - which I found better.
    The funny thing is that the screen goes completely black only when the glasses are at a 45 degree angel to the vertical, and is completely not blocked at the "other" 45 degree angle. Holding one's head in a normal position results in canceling about 50% of the light.
    Not nice.

I'm wondering if others are experiencing this; I don't see any mention of it in posts.
  • Sorry I don't have any suggestions regarding the Polarized sun glasses.
    Perhaps others that have the 2797 can chime in.

Regarding the North American map on the SD card,, you don't need to put it on a separate card and store in your desk.

Extra maps on the SD card are stored in a folder named "Map", you must name it EXACTLY, capital M, small case a & p.
    You can name the mapset(s) anything you like and have as many as the SD card will hold. Remember the more maps you have in there the slower the boot time. You should also not have maps that overlap areas since this will cause issues with the search function.

Whatever maps you don't want to use, simply leave them on the card and move them out of the Map folder so they won't be recognized.
    The only drawback is if you need the map you have to connect to a PC to move it back into the Map folder. Even if you uncheck it while in the Map folder it won't access the map but will slow boot time down since it's reading what's in the Map folder.
  • Ramaprem 112 Points
    Thanks for this discussion. It's really helpful; I was a TomTom user before making the switch to Garmin.

The ideal for me is:
    have everything that I need for NA on a separate SD card, with all (other) essentials in internal storage. That would allow me to keep the NA card in a safe place as I travel in Europe - having everything needed to navigate around Europe.
    But that means making the choice of installing only 1 region. Which is okay.

Second choice:
    have everything that I need for NA on a separate SD card, and have an additional card which would hold the "overflow" of stuff that won't fit in internal storage. That stuff would go on the 4GB card that Garmin supplied - for that very purpose - with the 3597.

But how would I know if that overflow card holds files needed for navigation elsewhere - not in Europe? I'm not talking about the map; I'm referring to files that the device needs in order to perform its functions completely. I wouldn't have any control over what went onto the card; the installation process seems to be automatic.
    Am I making sense? Be brutally honest, if necessary!

"Extra maps on the SD card are stored in a folder named "Map", you must name it EXACTLY, capital M, small case a & p."
    That's something that I must do? When I install the NA map on a card, won't the installation process create that folder?

"The only drawback is..."
    That's a very minor drawback.
    Before leaving for NA, I would do as you suggest: put the NA map(s) back in the Map folder. (I'm assuming that there would be more than one map; there seems to be several maps on this device at present - dumped loose in the .System folder.)
  • DerekW 132 Points
    Effect of polarising glasses is often seen with many types of screen. I angle the SatNav at about 45 degrees from horizontal so that the maximum image can be seen. Also mounting the device on a vent mount has it several inches lower than a dash mount and the polarising effect is reduced as you look down at the device.
  • sussamb 813 Points

But how would I know if that overflow card holds files needed for navigation elsewhere - not in Europe? I'm not talking about the map; I'm referring to files that the device needs in order to perform its functions completely. I wouldn't have any control over what went onto the card; the installation process seems to be automatic.

My experience is that the only files put on the card are the map files. Also note that Express/MapUpdater place the files in a folder named Garmin on the card. A Map folder isn't really required, unless you plan to put maps other than those placed there by Express/MapUpdater.
  • Ramaprem 112 Points
    @DerekW,
    I certainly never thought of angling the device, as you suggested. The 45 degree angle is exactly what would work for me. I'm not sure that I would be a very happy camper with that solution. It would be a last resort for me.
    My auto doesn't hold the device in the AC vents; they just aren't compatible with the mounts. Thanks, however, for the hints; good ones.

I've just been to an optometrist who has agreed to make me a pair of non-polarized sunglasses. So this is going to do the trick. Yahoo!

@sussamb,
    Well, there seems to be a disagreement between you and willyboy - which I cannot really resolve.

My plan:
    I will insert my 8GB SD card in my new (not yet updated) device; then run Express to update it. Some (overflow) files, it seems, will be placed on the card. Express - in a trial run - has already told me that the updated files will not fit in internal storage. I will then install the NA map from a DVD purchase - using MapInstall (this from a Garmin support person) - onto the card. And then install my Lifetime map update purchase for NA onto the device. And have the SD card in the slot whenever and wherever I'm driving.

Is this plan - and sequence - good?

And will my device have a long boot-time as a result of this arrangement, because the device is needing to access both a large EU map and a large NA map?

Thanks.
  • sussamb 813 Points

@sussamb,
    Well, there seems to be a disagreement between you and willyboy - which I cannot really resolve.

My plan:
    I will insert my 8GB SD card in my new (not yet updated) device; then run Express to update it. Some (overflow) files, it seems, will be placed on the card. Express - in a trial run - has already told me that the updated files will not fit in internal storage. I will then install the NA map from a DVD purchase - using MapInstall (this from a Garmin support person) - onto the card. And then install my Lifetime map update purchase for NA onto the device. And have the SD card in the slot whenever and wherever I'm driving.

Is this plan - and sequence - good?

And will my device have a long boot-time as a result of this arrangement, because the device is needing to access both a large EU map and a large NA map?
    Be carefull with MapInstall. I've not done what you're attempting and I believe it will use the file name gmapsupp.img, if instead it uses gmapprom.img then it will overwrite the files that Express has just placed into the Garmin folder.

If I was doing it I'd use MapInstall to load the NA files to another card, and then transfer them manually to ensure no mix up. If you do so, you can then put that Map into a folder named Map and call it whatever you want.

Then it gets tricky. I'm not sure how you update a map supplied on a DVD and how that would all work, hopefully someone else will. Whether you can 'direct' that update to the GPS I'm not sure :?

As for any discrepancy with willyboy, as I already posted Map folder works too, but I'm simply reporting what happened to me, Express created a Garmin folder on my card and put the files there when I updated the pre-installed map on my GPS.

I have a US map and a OSM map on my card in addition to Western Europe and boot time is fine.

Whatever you end up doing take it one step at a time and ensure you take back ups, what you're doing doesn't fit into the normal scheme of map updating, so things might not go quite as planned :wink:
  • sussamb 813 Points
    Just run MapInstall and for my 2508 it named the map City Navigator Europe etc, so you should be OK. I'd still be tempted to send it to another sd card/usb stick though just to see exactly what MapInstall has created and then transfer it all manually to your 8Gb card.
  • Ramaprem 112 Points
    My confusion about the entire process is still present - and I certainly appreciate the continuing support that I am receiving.

Regarding this:
    "I'm not sure how you update a map supplied on a DVD and how that would all work..."
    I think that this is not a biggie. First the map gets transferred from the DVD - using MapInstall - to the device (or, of course, to an SD card), and then I use my Lifetime map subscription to "let the device know" that I am entitled to free map updates.
    This is how I see it.

However...
    Here is a question asked by me of Garmin:
    "Can I specify the location of the installation of the NA map which I will purchase? Can I have it - in its entirety - placed on the SD card? Or will some of it go into internal memory, and the overflow onto the card? My preference would be to have it all on the card."

And the response:
    "My recommendation is to download the NA mapping to your computer. The program you can use to conduct the map updates allows you to select that option. After the update process has finished, you can transfer the map to a microSD card with MapInstall."

Now - as I re-read this - I'm no longer sure of what to do!!

Is this his instruction?:
    I transfer my DVD map to my computer (by simply dragging-and-dropping?), then run some program (un-specified by him, but I assume that comes with the update subscription) to update the map, and then transfer that updated map to an SD card?

It may be time to contact Garmin again regarding this, if clarity is playing hide-and-seek with me.
  • sussamb 813 Points

Now - as I re-read this - I'm no longer sure of what to do!!

Is this his instruction?:
    I transfer my DVD map to my computer (by simply dragging-and-dropping?), then run some program (un-specified by him, but I assume that comes with the update subscription) to update the map, and then transfer that updated map to an SD card?

I've never used a DVD so can't really help, but AFAIK the DVD will run and you simply follow the instructions :? . I'm sure someone else here will be able to advise better :wink:
  • Ramaprem 112 Points
    "...the DVD will run and you simply follow the instructions"
    Sounds...simple :!: :roll: 8) :D

I'll leave it at that, until/unless someone with actual experience in these matters chimes in.
    Thanks.
  • What you are trying to accomplish having the Full Euro Map on the unit and any overflow on an SD card, coupled with have Lifetime updates on an SD card may pose a challenge.

Forum member t923347 has a 3797 and is quite knowledgeable about the unit, perhaps he can jump in and give you some good advice.

As you already know the 3797 lacks internal memory for even one update, Future updates will be even larger sucking up more memory. With these newer premium models come more files which differ from older models whose files were less and smaller in size.

Be advised if you purchase the North America Map on DVD you will not get the files for some of the features.
    I know you won’t get the voice files (ASR & SRX) so voice command will not work in North America. Also you won’t get a Junction view file.

There too are other files that are required for all features to work such as .sid files, these .sid files change with the newer map versions and are updated in the .System\SID folder that resides on the Nuvi itself. I don’t believe you can create a folder named .System on an SD card, at least not in Windows, don’t know about a Mac.
    Units may have as many four .sid files depending on model.
    They will have numerical numbers for that particular map version. (example: D2656130.sid)
    .sid files are for external point addressing, instasearch, traffic trends, fast routing

I don’t believe you can get all the North America files required for all features to work by putting them on an SD card.
    Some files will need to be in internal memory to be recognized. Since you will already lack space on your first update, adding extra North America files to the Nuvi will not be an option.

If t823347 doesn’t respond, I suggest you call Garmin BEFORE buying the DVD with North America and explain exactly what you want to do and how to have all features available. You may or may not get accurate advise depending on the support technicians knowledge.
  • Ramaprem 112 Points
    Thanks for that - not that I get it all.

"I suggest you call Garmin BEFORE buying the DVD with North America"
    I've already purchased the DVD and the Lifetime update for City Navigator North America NT. So too late for that little bit of advice.

Methinks that I will just hang out here and wait for t923347 to post.

I have some time to get this straight. I have a new computer on order, and will wait for it to arrive and for me to get settled with it. And my next trip to the States is at the end of January.
    But as you suggest, I even need to get straight how to update even the pre-installed EU map.

So I hope that help is on the way.
  • sussamb 813 Points
    But as you suggest, I even need to get straight how to update even the pre-installed EU map.

That would be the best place to start :wink:
  • Ramaprem 112 Points
    Yes.
    It's called progress. 8)
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    By the way, one thing that is not appreciated in this new model:
    It has a different kind of screen than earlier models. Wearing Polarized sunglasses reduces the brightness of the screen. That is a big disappointment.
    That was not the case with the 3590.
    All the Garmin screens I've seen have this quality to some extent (I wear prescription polarized sunglasses). On some of the old models they got it right, on others they didn't. My old Nuvi 5000 is virtually unusable with sunglasses for example.

My 3550 (like the 3590) shows pretty significant dimming when viewed in portrait orientation, but that goes away when you rotate to landscape view. I think this is always going to be somewhat of an issue with devices that can be rotated to either portrait or landscape.
  • Ramaprem 112 Points
    Never used the 3590 in portrait orientation; never knew, therefore, that the screen was affected by polarized glasses.

The 3597 has the orientation set at 45 degrees. Interesting fix!
  • Ramaprem 112 Points
    Regarding the installation/update of the map:
    I inserted an 8GB card, and chose Plan B that is offered by Garmin when - disappointingly of course - the full map cannot fit on the device. New device / first update! Not nice.

Plan B is to install whatever need to be installed - what cannot fit in internal memory - on the card. It went without a hitch.
    What got installed on the card was a folder: Garmin. Inside that was a junction-view file, and 2 other (very small) files.

So that seems to have worked out okay. At least, I think so. I haven't actually used the device yet while driving; it just arrived. But it functions otherwise.

However, I am waiting to install my NA map on the card, for this reason:
    http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/comment/191832/#191832

I'm wanting to clear up this malfunction before I proceed. And, in fact, I erased the card in preparation to returning the device - which I, for the moment, will keep.
  • Ramaprem 112 Points
    An update to what I reported was on the SD card.
    The first time that I did it, my previous post was accurate as to the contents of the card.

I have done it again, for reasons that I won't go into, and now, here is what the card contains:

The device itself now has loads of free space! - presumably because the/a map is on the card.
    Here is the device:

Is the map on the card the map of EU? If so, why isn't it in internal memory?
    It seems to me that everything could have fit on internal memory - especially that the nuvi has had optional stuff installed - after the map update and installation.
    Was it just "being cautious" about putting it all in internal memory?

If the map on the card is the full EU map, is this set-up going to give me problems? Or is the card a perfectly fine place for the map - especially since just about everything else is in internal memory?
  • sussamb 813 Points
    The sizes look correct. I run my EU map from the card with no issues.

The map plus jcv file wouldn't have fitted, which is why it's on the card. You could always manually transfer it back should you so wish, and just leave the jcv file on the card.
  • Ramaprem 112 Points
    Thanks.
    Best news I've had all day - regarding the nuvi!

I have no intention of changing the locations of these items - especially when you assure me that the existing set-up will work. And because the map is only going to grow in size. This way - it seems to me - the device, as well as the card - has growing space.
    And hopefully without growing pains.

And later...for the NA City Navigator map. But this is less than 4GB, yes? Someone at Garmin told me a couple of months ago that it is 2-3GB. Really that small?
  • sussamb 813 Points
    IIRC the full NA map file is just over 2GB.
  • Ramaprem 112 Points
    Good news again.
    I simply don't know how so much information can be in a file of 2GB or so. I am amazed by the technology.
  • The sizes look correct. I run my EU map from the card with no issues.

The map plus jcv file wouldn't have fitted, which is why it's on the card. You could always manually transfer it back should you so wish, and just leave the jcv file on the card.
    Good job posting all the information. :D

sussamb is correct, the map will fit in internal memory but the JCV file would have brought you over the limit.

Looking at available memory, I would say it's safe to copy the gmapprom.img (EU Map) into the .system folder on the Nuvi. You must also copy the gmapprom.unl and gmapprom. gma files there. The junction view will remain on the SD card.

I would not suggest leaving little space to remain in internal memory since it could potentially cause problems when caching is needed. Doing the math, you should be fine since after copying the 3 files to the unit you should have approximately 184mb of free space left.
    3.6gb Free Space minus 3.47 gmapprom.img = .18gb which equals 184mb.

The next map update will increase in size and you won’t be able to put it on the Nuvi, only on the SD card.
  • Ramaprem 112 Points
    @willyboy,
    Are you not contradicting yourself - several times over? I'm not following you.

"I would say it's safe..." and then "I would not suggest leaving little space to remain in internal memory..." and "Doing the math, you should be fine..." and then "The next map update will increase in size and you won’t be able to put it on the Nuvi, only on the SD card."

So why put it in internal, if, in 3 months, it has to be removed and installed on the card?

Isn't everything going to work just fine the way it is?
  • @willyboy,
    Are you not contradicting yourself - several times over? I'm not following you.

Not contradicting myself, however, I do admit I should have been clearer in what I was trying to convey..

"I would say it's safe..." and then "I would not suggest leaving little space to remain in internal memory..." and "Doing the math, you should be fine..." and then "The next map update will increase in size and you won’t be able to put it on the Nuvi, only on the SD card."

I should have said you have the option to put the map in internal memory if you desire, IT WILL FIT.
    I also said that I would not suggest leaving little space in internal memory due to caching, lack of space can cause the Nuvi to misbehave.
    I DID say you are fine since you would have 184mb remaining if you copied the map to the internal memory.
    So how is that contradicting myself?

So why put it in internal, if, in 3 months, it has to be removed and installed on the card?

My mistake, I should have said you have the option to put it in internal memory, but true, it doesn’t make sense to do it for the 3 month duration.

Isn't everything going to work just fine the way it is?
    It will work just fine the way it is, both now and future updates.
  • Ramaprem 112 Points
    @willlyboy,
    I need to say that - while I found your post confusing - I continue to be grateful that you take the time to reply to my issue(s).

There remain issues - regarding my installation of the map for NA - that I'm not understanding. I would like some clarity before I do the installation.
    Regarding this from you - earlier in this topic:

"Be advised if you purchase the North America Map on DVD you will not get the files for some of the features. I know you won’t get the voice files (ASR & SRX) so voice command will not work in North America."
    I have the ASR file for American English installed. It is an optional file for downloading - and I have downloaded it. And, of course, it is in internal storage.
    What is the SRX file? If I get it, it would/could also be in internal storage.

"Also you won’t get a Junction view file."
    Well, of course, I have no idea about that - yet. But why, in your opinion, won't I get this file? Won't it be included in my NA map on DVD?

"There too are other files that are required for all features to work such as .sid files, these .sid files change with the newer map versions and are updated in the .System\SID folder that resides on the Nuvi itself. I don’t believe you can create a folder named .System on an SD card, at least not in Windows, don’t know about a Mac.
    Units may have as many four .sid files depending on model.
    They will have numerical numbers for that particular map version. (example: D2656130.sid)
    .sid files are for external point addressing, instasearch, traffic trends, fast routing"

Regarding this stuff, you've lost me.
    Is this now irrelevant - because there is ample free space, internally and on my 8GB card - for any-and-all files? Or are you saying that there will be files that I simply won't get?

"I don’t believe you can get all the North America files required for all features to work by putting them on an SD card. Some files will need to be in internal memory to be recognized."
    Is this now, also, irrelevant - because of my free space? If the map - and only the map - goes on a card, will I have all features available?

Question:
    I still - for some inexplainable and possibly irrational reason - would like to have my NA map on its own SD card. Clearly, it would fit on a 4GB card.
    With my present set-up - all files needed for a fully functioning unit in internal storage (hopefully) - can I put that map on its own card?
    Clearly, I'm not the first person to put a map on its own SD card. Is this entire discussion irrelevant, since my internal storage will not be full?

-----------------
    I would like to add some info for others - although, so far, there don't seem to be others with this issue. At least, no one has posted.

When I first connected the 3597 for its initial update, I was given 3 options:
    1. remove some files which are not needed (this option was "recommended")
    2. put some stuff on an SD card
    3. install only one region.
    (I had removed the card - which came with the unit - when doing this initial update.)
    When I later did the update, I had a card installed - and was not offered the first option. And the 2. option became "recommended".
    Just to others know about this process and its options.
    ---
    Question:
    Anyone know - or would like to guess - which files Garmin might consider "not needed"?
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Well, of course, I have no idea about that - yet. But why, in your opinion, won't I get this file? Won't it be included in my NA map on DVD?
    That really isn't a question of opinion. Junction view is only available for maps that are pre-installed on the nuvi. This has always seemed wrong to me, but that's the way it is....

https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={88d79990-a188-11e0-755d-000000000000}
    When you purchase mapping separately, whether as downloadable content, preloaded SD card, or DVD, it will NOT include the files that provide Junction View or 3D building view. However, all supplemental maps will include the necessary data for Lane Assist. Even though Lane Assist data is included in the mapping, it will still only be available on those devices that support the feature.

Junction View and 3D building view are only included with compatible devices' preloaded maps or updates to those preloaded maps. Supplemental maps will not include these two features.
  • Ramaprem 112 Points
    Well, in my opinion... :roll: that sucks.
    Thanks for the info.

And if someone were to make that file available to me, would the device use it?
    What thinkest thou?
  • willyboy 68 Points
    edited December 2013
    @Ramaprem
    I am not your best source of information regarding your situation having the Euro map on one SD card and another of North America on a different SD card that was installed by a DVD. Nor do I know ALL the files that accompany the 3597.

I think you should call Garmin Support (not email), and explain your situation and hopefully they can answer all your questions.

I do know there are 3 category of files that get updated with each map update for that particular map, all residing in their respective folders.
    ASR Folder are the two voice files (.ASR & SRX)
    JCV Folder: The Junction View File that matches the map you are using, YOU CAN’t use an older JCV file on a newer map.
    You can have more than 1 JCV file on the unit, SD card, or both, that correspond with the map versions on the unit or SD card(s),
    SID folder: depending on model, it may have 1 to 4 .SID Files. They are for 1) External Point Addressing 2- intrasearch
    3-Traffic trends 4- Fast Routing.

Here are some questions I can answer.
    Question: I have the ASR file for American English installed. It is an optional file for downloading - and I have downloaded it. And, of course, it is in internal storage.
    What is the SRX file? If I get it, it would/could also be in internal storage.

Answer: I don’t know what exactly the SRX file does, I do know that with each map update the ASR and .SRX files are also updated. They both have to do with voice command. The .SRX and .ASR that are in your Nuvi’s internal memory now are for your 2014.30 Euro map ONLY, they will not work for the North American map you want to put on a separate SD card.

Question: "Also you won’t get a Junction view file."

Answer: You won’t get the file on DVD since there are numerous Nuvi models, many with different JCV files,
    Garmin does not make an assortment of DVD’s covering various units. Personally I wouldn’t miss having it since I consider it just eye candy. The Lane Assist feature that comes with the 3597 is all you need to put you in the proper lane.

Question: "I don’t believe you can get all the North America files required for all features to work by putting them on an SD card. Some files will need to be in internal memory to be recognized."
    Is this now, also, irrelevant - because of my free space? If the map - and only the map - goes on a card, will I have all features available?

Answer: Since you will have ample space on the 3597, ask Garmin if it will recognize having different sets of ASR files and Sid Files for both the Euro and North America map if placed in their folders in the .System folder on the unit.
    But your problem will be getting those SID files and ASR files since the won’t be on the DVD for North America.. Ask Garnin support how to obtain them.

Lastly, when doing an update using Garmin Express, if there is room on the Nuvi for the update it will not offer to install on the SD card. If not enough room I believe you must check the advanced tab and it will give you the option to install on the SD card as well as map area to install.

I do not use Garmin Express since I’ve had issues with it as well as many others.
    I use MapUpdater and the option to load on unit or SD card is always there. You can download it here:

PC:
    http://download.garmin.com/lmu/GarminMapUpdater.exe
    Mac:
    http://download.garmin.com/lmu/GarminMapUpdater.dmg

Be advised MapUpdater is not a program but rather a link to Garmin which may be discontinued in the future.
    When you click on the link choose to “save”, then create a shortcut to it so you can access it in the future should you decide to use it again. I use WebUpdater for firmware and other file updates and MapUpdater for Maps.
    Garmin Express does both, and in my situation (Windows) unreliable. You may have better results with your MAC.

As for what files are “not needed”. The below link is a tutorial for a Nuvi 1490T, but many will apply to all Nuvi’s.
    https://skydrive.live.com/view.aspx?cid=C6483E8A197B8356&resid=C6483E8A197B8356!459&app=WordPdf&wdo=1

Another link that explains many of the Nuvi Files and their function.
    http://www.pois-gps.com.ar/?page_id=2552/garmin/garmin-units-directoriescharacteristics-and-files/

Edited, Didn't see the replies by you and Boyd before posting. Also it's a good idea to always have a complete backup of your Nuvi BEFORE deleting any files.
  • Ramaprem 112 Points
    Thank you.
    The restrictions and fine-print can kill you. It's mind - and/or soul - boggling.

Have you seen the news today?
    Garmin has been bought out by United Airlines. There is now a limit on how much luggage one can put in one's car.
  • Ramaprem 112 Points
    Well, I got so tired of posting questions regarding this matter - both here and to Garmin directly - that I just decided to take the jump and go for it. I mean, my life expectancy is not that long!

Bottom line:
    I now have my NA map on a 4GB card, my EU map on an 8GB card, and all files related to the functioning of the device on internal storage. And I managed to activate my nuMaps Lifetime Update subscription, which was purchased some days ago when Boyd (thanks!) posted the one-day sale on it.

The device works here with its current set-up; I can only assume that it will work in the US when I go there in February. I understand that JV and 3D buildings will not be available. No big deal. Lane Assist is spot-on; and I can look out the windshield to see the 3D buildings.
    I also understand that voice command will probably not work in the US. But willyboy has made a suggestion regarding that - which I will pursue.

-----

Regarding another matter raised by me in this topic: that of the effect of wearing polarized glasses with this unit.

Much earlier, willyboy suggested tilting the unit in its cradle in order to negate that effect. The angle that Garmin has incorporated in this model is 45 degrees. And I mentioned that using a unit tilted at 45 degrees would not appeal to me.
    But a much smaller tilt - 15-20 degrees or so - actually results in much of the screen brightness being visible/restored.
    And, my non-polarized sunglasses will be delivered soon! I'm covered.
  • sussamb 813 Points
    You can check all is OK for your US trip by running some routes/trips in simulation mode :wink:
  • Ramaprem 112 Points
    Great idea. Thanks.
    Last night, I drove from Portland, Maine to Portland, Oregon - and wasn't even tired when I arrived.
  • sussamb 813 Points
    :lol:
    Last night, I drove from Portland, Maine to Portland, Oregon - and wasn't even tired when I arrived.
    Ah... now the nuvi 3597 sales will skyrocket(!), no doubt!