This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Looking for walking GPS

thatguy 0 Points
edited November -1 in GPS Recommendations
Hi,

I'm looking to buy a handheld GPS that can help me navigate the Washington DC area as a pedestrian. I'm basically looking for something that can replicate what programs like google maps do but I don't have access to while outside because I lack a smart phone.

thanks in advance

Comments

• Boyd 1985 Points
    Truth is, a smartphone is by far the best solution for walking around cities. I have tried different things, but the phone really has advantages. It uses a combination of gps signal, known wifi hotspots and cell tower signals. This can really help in downtown areas where large buildings block the view of the GPS satellites and cause their signals to reflect, giving erroneous positions.

And in addition to that, everyone is staring at their smartphones in a city, so you will blend into the crowd instead of looking like a tourist staring at a GPS. :twisted:

The "handheld" gps category is really aimed at outdoor activities like hiking or hunting and they are much bulkier than a phone since they're waterproof and shockproof. The screens are also inferior for this kind of use, with very low resolution.

If you really can't do a smartphone, you could look the Nuvi 37xx and 34xx series. These are very slim and look like a 4" phone. I used one of these in NYC for awhile and it worked pretty well. The 37xx series is more than 3 years old now, but you should still be able to find them and they are often highly discounted. The 3750 has all the features you would need as a pedestrian but lacks some automotive features (like a traffic receiver) that you wouldn't need.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-road/automotive/previous models/nuvi-3750/prod69362.html