This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Need Name of Street that we are turning on

BobH24 0 Points
edited November -1 in GPS Recommendations
I have a new Garmin 2595 and I would like for it to say the name of the street we are turning on. Similarly, after we make the turn it just says "proceed on route" I would like it to say "proceed 15 miles to Dunmore Street." Seems like the Garmin we bought 6 years ago would do this. Is there a way to turn this on in the 2595 or else which model do I need to buy ? Also, I would like to have it be able to give me a verbal status if I ask. If I say "where are we" it would respond "three point five miles to right turn on Dunmore". That way I would know it was still working.

Comments

• sussamb 813 Points
    To say the name of the street you need to select a Text to Speech or TTS voice.

There's no way though to change what it announces ... it is what it is.

As for knowing it's working, you'll know that as the map will be moving and things like speed etc updating :wink:
  • Can someone suggest a GPS that does this ? [ announce name of street not just "turn right", say the distance to next turn and name of street, not just "proceed on route"] I,ve looked at getting a Smartphone but I don't want to spend $90 a month for Verizon. Virgin Mobile is a lot cheaper but their coverage is very limited in unpopulated areas and the GPS is not going to work without coverage.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    the GPS is not going to work without coverage.
    There are apps for both Android and iOS that store the complete map on your phone and behave just like a standalone GPS. Navigon is one example. No cell coverage is needed to use this kind of app (although additional features might be available when you have coverage, such as traffic data).

However, since you seem to want something very specific, I don't know if you will find an app that meets your needs.

Have you followed sussamb's suggestion and made sure you are using a TTS voice on your Nuvi? When you do, it should say the name of the street in most cases.
  • OK I am going to figure out how to get a TTS voice. Any help would be appreciated. Is it something I have to download from Garmin ?
    Also thanks for the info on GPS for Smartphones, I did not think they could work without connection, good to know.
  • Oh that was easy once I found it, turns out I have 2 American English voices and one "speaks street names" and mine had Michelle who for some strange reason, does not say street names. Changed it to Jill, who does. Got to take it for a test ride ! Thanks for the help, this forum is a great asset. Michelle's speech is a lot clearer than Jill's, guess there is trade-off between quality and information.