This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

what is the best Garmin Nuvi to view or use topo map?

foxgolf 0 Points
edited November -1 in GPS Recommendations
what is the best Garmin Nuvi to view or use topo map?
Thanks

Comments

• Boyd 1985 Points
    They all have some issues with topo maps. Some of the problems:

contour lines that are much too fat
    shaded terrain (in "real" Garmin maps) that is so dark that it hides the roads
    many POI's do not show
    some models do not correctly show wetlands

I'm not sure if there is a "best" model. The larger screens are nice. If you have technical abilities, you can improve the map appearance but this is beyond what most people are likely to do. See: http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/27990/x/p1/

I make my own highly detailed maps and have specifically tweaked the one I'm working on now for my specific units (the 5"nuvi 3550 and 7" dezl 760). I also use my own custom dashboard - see: http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/26442/x/p1/

Here's a screenshot from the dezl 760. But this is some pretty specialized stuff... :wink:

• wow that s nice but yeah it s kind of complex for me
    I thought I can just download topo on nuvi

I m looking for gps to be used on street and hiking with lower price than $300

thx
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    The Nuvi is really poor for hiking. Very short battery life, missing most of the important features of a "real" handheld such as track and waypoint management. The newest models don't even show your waypoints on the screen! And of course not waterproof or shockproof.

If you really want one device for car and trail, I suggest saving a little more money and getting the Montana 600. It has a 4" screen and very advanced features.

You will give up some automotive features like junction view and traffic receivers on the Montana however. It may be most practical to buy an inexpensive nuvi for the car and something like the Oregon 450 for the trail. These are very popular and have recently been discounted to the $150-$200 range.