This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Garmin Express won't recognize Nuvi 1450

So I got this Garmin Nuvi 1450 off of eBay and when I plug it into my computer (I tried this both on my MacBook Pro running OS X 10.9 and on my old Dell laptop running Windows 7) the 1450 will mount as a storage device but Garmin Express won't recognize it, claiming there's no Garmin device connected to the computer.

I tried this with my Nuvi 1300, using the same USB cable, and it worked just fine. At this point, I think I'm pretty safe in assuming I've isolated the problem to the 1450 itself. Is there something I'm supposed to be doing with the 1450 to make it work?

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Garmin Express worked fine with my 1450 until the last time Express was updated. I had problems too so I switched to MapUpdater and it updated my 1450 just fine.

http://download.garmin.com/lmu/GarminMapUpdater.exe
  • plug the garmin into the computer. then go to the my garmin web site and reinstall the garmin express program to the computer. i have to do this about everytime i have a new update to install. works for me. mcole
  • sussamb 765 Points
    My 1490 works fine with Express. Why the OPs doesn't I have no idea. As suggested though my first action would be to try MapUpdater.
  • jonnop 101 Points
    Like sussamb I have no problem using Garmin Express on my 1490. I cannot think what the problem may be.

As an aside - suss - if you are on duty over the holiday period I hope that all is quiet for you.
  • sussamb 765 Points
    No, I'm in France ... But all is quiet here. Thanks for the thought :-)
  • jonnop 101 Points
    No, I'm in France ... But all is quiet here. Thanks for the thought :-)
    In that case - Joyeux Noël à vous et les vôtres. :D
  • jtrosario 0 Points
    Human said:

So I got this Garmin Nuvi 1450 off of eBay and when I plug it into my computer (I tried this both on my MacBook Pro running OS X 10.9 and on my old Dell laptop running Windows 7) the 1450 will mount as a storage device but Garmin Express won't recognize it, claiming there's no Garmin device connected to the computer.

I tried this with my Nuvi 1300, using the same USB cable, and it worked just fine. At this point, I think I'm pretty safe in assuming I've isolated the problem to the 1450 itself. Is there something I'm supposed to be doing with the 1450 to make it work?

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

When encountering errors such as "No Map Data Available" and Garmin Express does not recognize your Garmin nuvi, check to see if your Garmin nuvi is out of storage space from your computer. Solution related to the fact that when brought up as a drive in windows(like E:) there were 0 bytes free space on the Garmin nuvi. To get Garmin Express to recognize a unit which is full, do a search on the Windows Drive (E:) for "gmap" then choose "Open file location" This will get into the hidden ".system" directory. From there, delete the largest file map, such as "gmapprom" (or move this file to your hard drive). Afterward, reboot your computer to have Garmin Express software recognize your Garmin nuvi. On older units, like the nuvi 1450, also purchase a microSDHC card to be able to store the newest maps, such as the US & Canada 2.6Gb map file, which will not fit on the internal unit alone. The Garmin Express software will recognize 4Gb to 32Gb microSDHC Class 10 or UHS-I cards formatted to FAT32 and install the newest maps automatically to them. Some have reported that 4Gb cards are not large enough. I had used a 16Gb SanDisk Ultra PLUS UHS-I card successfully. My nuvi 1450LMT now is both recognized by Garmin Express and I have the latest 2.6GB Update of US & Canada on the microSDHC card.