This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Logging GPS data

Berki 0 Points
edited November -1 in GPS Recommendations
HI there,
IN my project I want to log daily GPS data from trucks(35-40Mb / day) to a centeral location (server). THe truks have a router but it doe not more than few killo bytes memory.
I am looking for a device that can save the GPS data temporary and log it to server when it gets WiFi connection.

If you have ideas or expeirence, drop me your response
thanks
Berki

Comments

• privet01 221 Points
    Is this just a fun project for your own education? There are already plenty devices and services being offered for pretty cheap prices IMHO, at least here in the USA that seems true. It doesn't seem economical to re-invent the wheel again.
  • Berki 0 Points
    Thanks for your reply.
    It realy is not for fun. I want it in my work. The prblem is I want RAW gps data at my server on daily basis and then post process it for our product. We currently have accurate GPS receivers but are expensive and we don't need realtime GPS location. If I use GPRS /UMTS it will not be cost effective and hence I want a WiFi solution.

thanks
  • privet01 221 Points
    Raw gps data. How raw? like the signals from the satellites that you have to convert to location? OR ... just the coordinate/position data?

At any rate, looking at what's offered for the trucking industry over here, I find it hard to justify cobbling together off the shelf components to make anything cheaper than whats already offered. Though I haven't looked at the packages in detail, I would think that most if not all allow you access to the data so you can manipulate it with your own programs. And this is all fairly real-time stuff that all you have to do is pay the low subscription service and purchase the pretty cheap unit for each truck. The provider has already figured out how to get the data to you. So all you have to do is figure out what to do with the data. Not worry about hardware that will need tech service occasionally.
  • Berki 0 Points
    Hi there,
    By raw GPS data i mean the uncorrected data such as statellite infromation, pseudorange and carrier phase infromation. I want this information in RINEX format. I have few GPS receivers with me (from Hemisphere) and they only give NMEA data format.

regards