This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Magellan RoadMate 3045 question

retiredat44 0 Points
edited November -1 in Magellan Vehicle Forum
Magellan RoadMate 3045 question. When I start it up, say in a parking lot, and put in an address, and don't know which way to turn when leaving. Right, left, etc.. The GPS just does not tell me until I start driving away not knowing whether the right or left I made was correct until long after I leave the area and make a turn, not knowing until after the fact. The GPS unit sometimes takes another minute before it tells me the proper direction. Is there some setting to fix this annoying issue? I want it to tell me before I leave and start making turns, not after. Thanx

:shock:

Comments

• Tim 1458 Points
    There is nothing that can be done with that GPS. Generally, a GPS only knows where you are, not what direction you are facing. It can try to figure out which way you are facing by tracking movement, but without movement it has no idea which way is left or right. So until you start driving it only knows where you are, not which direction you have been moving.

So that is what you are seeing-- once the GPS figures out which way you are moving it will start giving proper directions. Small movements won't always help as the GPS is trying to be certain that the apparent movement is just that... movement... and not just the typical margin of error from the GPS processing your location which can give the illusion of movement.

But the bottom line is that without something like an electronic compass built into the GPS your model can't do much about that problem.
  • thanx for the answer... I would have thought that driving though a parking lot would give it enough time to figure out which way to go.. oh well
  • Tim 1458 Points
    Sometimes it does depending on the quality of the GPS signal, the distance you drive in the parking lot, and the speed.