This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Need a gps that shuts off automatically

sreeb 0 Points
edited November -1 in GPS Recommendations
I have an infrequently driven truck with un-switched accessory outlets.

My Garmin 2595 keeps killing my battery when I forget to manually switch it off.

Are there units that will notice they are sitting in one place and automatically power down?

Comments

• Install an accessory power socket to a switched terminal in the fuse panel....problem solved!
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    I have never seen a device with that feature.
  • dhn 336 Points
    My TomTom 720 does that. If it senses no movement of the device within 10 minutes or so, it just goes into shut down mode.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    I had a GO720 for awhile myself and don't recall that feature. Does it do that while external power is being applied, or only when operating on battery? The OP needs a device that will shutdown while operating on external power. This is something most people probably would not want to happen unless the device was running on batteries.
  • privet01 221 Points
    I really like Lostinthewoods solution. If you are a diy'r and understand automobile electrics, it's cheap and easy. There should be a fuse of the proper size in the fuse block that you can wire to and put in a new power socket. If you can't find a fuse of the proper size that's only hot when the key is on, then you could come directly off the key switch or a bus that's on the correct side of the switch. Of course you should include an inline fuse of the right size for protection.

If you aren't a diy'r, then a radio shop might do it cheaper than your local auto shop.