This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Want replacement for Nuvi 1450LMT without "balloons&qu

MikeInPoulsbo 0 Points
edited November -1 in GPS Recommendations
This GPS is still working flawlessly and has most of the features I need. Two features I DON'T need and they are driving me crazy:

The display uses large, obnoxious "balloons" to label destinations or items selected. I have found no way to dismiss them and they frequently mask information I want to see.

When scrolling/zooming the display it is way too easy to inadvertently "select" a location; which places one of those balloons over the display. Again, its tough to make the balloon go away.

Do newer versions (I want a 5" display, minimum) improve on these "features"?

I like Garmin and would prefer to remain with them.

Comments

• Boyd 1985 Points
    That behavior is common on the 13xx and 13xx series. I had a 1350 for awhile and it drove me crazy too. On the newer models, those "balloons" will go away when you drag the map again.

The touchscreen response was really poor on my 1350 and I have seen similar complaints about the 14xx. The nicest screens on current devices are the ones with glass multi-touch screens. The 37xx series was the first of these, and I was not so happy with touch response (gestures never worked like they should and it was sluggish).

I have a 3550 - the next generation with a 5" glass screen - and it is a huge improvment. Very nice, responsive screen that works well with gestures. The 3597 is the newer version, have not used one of these myself.

There is also the 34xx series with a 4" glass screen. Have not used one of these either.

You really need to go to a store and play with the current models though. Even though I think the issues you mention have been addressed, there are many interface changes that you may or may not like
  • Thanks so much for the excellent advice. I should, indeed, go check one out.
    That behavior is common on the 13xx and 13xx series. I had a 1350 for awhile and it drove me crazy too. On the newer models, those "balloons" will go away when you drag the map again. <snip>