This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Old Battery or Cold

luckybirman 91 Points
edited November -1 in TomTom Car Forum
Is the battery bad or is it the weather if I charge my TT fully and then after 3-4 days in the cold (30 degrees) car unused it is discharged to almost zero where I can't use it?
Also, is it normal when it in this state I cannot use it even if I use the car adapter and the car is running ? I thought it would always work through the car battery. Thank you

Comments

• dhn 228 Points
    Any battery gets capacity reduced in the cold BUT if your device is connected to the cig lighter outlet AND the battery isn't getting charged (as well as being able to run the device) then there is an issue with the battery or the car charger or the cig lighter. Or a combo of items.

Does the barttery charge (and hold a charge) when connected to thre computer for a good two hours or so? (device doesn't have to be on)

If not, probably the battery is the problem.
  • Thanks for quick reply DHN & Happy New Year !
    When the battery has discharged after only a few days in the cold car, the TT will not work if tried right away when the adapter is plugged in and the car is running. It charges up fully from the computer but I thought even if fully discharged and plugged in to a running car the TT would work ??? My old Navigon 7200 does not hold a battery charge for long anymore BUT will still work if discharged and plugged in the to car directly.
    ????? Thank you
  • Boyd 1744 Points
    When the battery was fully discharged on my Nuvi 3790, it would not operate with either the car charger or wall charger inside the house. After partially charging, it worked.

Not sure what the norm is with TomTom, but it's certainly possible that the battery needs to have at least some charge for the device to work. BTW, if you get a wall charger it will be faster than charging the GPS through your computer's USB port due to the limited current it can provide.
  • alanb 364 Points
    My nuvi 855 works the same way ... when the battery is completely dead it won't turn on even when plugged in. After charging for 10 or 15 minutes, it will then turn on. One of the interesting things about it is if you remove the dead battery (the nuvi 8xx has removable batteries) it will turn on and operate with no battery installed.
  • Hello again. I just returned from a short 45 minute trip where I had (wall) charged my 540TM fully, then used it in the car through the lighter outlet. When I unplugged it and checked, it showed that the battery was almost fully discharged. Should I 1) replace it with a newer TT (which one is best if so - bluetooth not needed), 2) replace the battery via instructions on the internet, or 3) have my cigarette outlet checked ?!!!
    Thank you
    Lucky B
  • alanb 364 Points
    I admittedly don't know anything about TomTom devices, but it seems to me that if your TomTom battery will charge up indoors, then discharges when operating on the cig. lighter adapter, you probably have a problem with the lighter socket (blown fuse?) or the TomTom power adapter.
  • If I switch the auto wire with another from my Navigon (which included lifetime traffic), would I get traffic ? This is a question to find out if the TT wire to the car power be bad.
  • dhn 228 Points
    Nope. Each brand's code decifers the traffic information differently.
  • Thanks all. After reading comments bought a new traffic cord in May and all is working fine. Did not see any kinks in old wire and never kept it in bent condition, just stopped working (for charging through car and traffic).
  • It appears that my go 50 doesn't like the windshield of my Toyota Prius, it keeps losing sat signals, what's the solution?
  • dhn 228 Points
    Is it an athermic windshield?